Are there ways to remove speed caps from router settings? MITM

jollyup
Go to solution Solved by tom564,

I assume windows http://www.technitium.com/tmac/index.html

Linux: apt-get install macchanger , macchanger -i eth0 -r  and I have no idea for mac. 

Hi , before reading further , please read the Bolded part only if you want the summary and questions only thanks.

I got to a bit of an argument with (let's just name him A , quite sad to get related with him) "A". So "A" has admin access to the modem/router , he could simply do whatever he wanted to , so he did such a lowly act to cap my accessible speed to less than 20kb/s , it all happened because of the recent problems that we had with the net doesn't load and such . Anyway so "A" said it was because of me playing the "crappy" CSGO that caused it to lag loading videos and such , i mean come on?  We did some exchange of words , and so he capped my speed limit and proudly told me out loud. Obviously he knew that that wasn't the cause of it , he capped because he COULD! That's how f'ed up a person of him could be. It was at night that this happened , nothing could be done.

With my speed limit down to less than 20kb/s instead of a full 5mbps , I couldn't load nothing! So i tried meddling with MITM (Man in the Middle) attacks on myself and to my surprise , it somehow "bypasses" the modem speed limits but nowhere near uncapped speeds, and yes I'm running off of it right now as I speak. The other part of the reason was to try MITM before i tried it on him , but well , i only did it once because i felt guilty.

So the next day after "A" came back , we almost of into a scuffle (yes , all because of the internet!) everyone came in to stop him (as in family members) I said he did whatever he did but he denied it , that he didn't with a straight face! And so I got lost of words hearing that , silly me should have shown them the speedtest results. I could do a MITM attack on his pc the whole time after he got back but that got my guilt struck , but "A" on the other hand , don't feel guilty of whatever he did (always had)

Sorry for the long post , here's the summarized and questions. 

Summary , "A" capped my accessible speed to less than 20kb/s from a 5mbps speed just because I played a game (CSGO). Wanted to do MITM (Man in the middle) attacks , so tested it on myself and found out that I could "bypass" it but nowhere near uncapped speeds. Only did the attack on him once and guilt struck (sort of a revenge i guess)

Questions :
1. Is it possible to know that he's being MITM-ed through the modem settings page? He checked once and said why is the modem kept getting on and off (I did it on his pc only)
2. Are there any ways to get access into the modem settings without the id and pw? I've heard of routerpwn , any other suggestions? (Doing so , to at least have proof that "A" did indeed capped my speed limit)

Please , I need your guy's help! And I posted this here is because I've heard that people don't get flamed in here. So thanks a lot and also any help would be definitely appreciated! 

P/s : Having problems posting this thread! , posted using my phone.

What router do you have?

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

What router do you have?

Tp-link TL-WR1043ND

Routerpwn does have the same exact model available to access. Will try it out later.

Its a bit unclear what you are trying to do. i assume you are trying to flood his traffic to slow down his connection right?

I think that some guy put a cap on his access speeds, and now he's trying to figure out how to undo them/find proof that he did it purposefully.

But he doesn't know the login info for the router.

You could do a factory reset of the router, but then you'd have to set the whole thing up again and make new login credentials.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Its a bit unclear what you are trying to do. i assume you are trying to flood his traffic to slow down his connection right?

Part of this is true , more like a revenge?, doing it with MITM , but guilt struck me and i just couldn't do it. 

I think that some guy put a cap on his access speeds, and now he's trying to figure out how to undo them/find proof that he did it purposefully.

But he doesn't know the login info for the router.

You could do a factory reset of the router, but then you'd have to set the whole thing up again and make new login credentials.

Thanks for the suggestion but that wouldn't be an option.

Ok, whenever you say MITM I cringe.

I don't believe you're using it correctly as an MITM attack is basically just eavesdropping.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack

15" MBP TB

Ok, whenever you say MITM I cringe.

I don't believe you're using it correctly as an MITM attack is basically just eavesdropping.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man-in-the-middle_attack

Sorry , I forgot to mention , I could kill connections using that. Not just eavesdropping. So , I could run scripts from it, I removed it and targeted it on my pc , it strangely "bypassed" the cap. I tried speedtesting , and youtube loads faster but speedtest doesn't couldn't run the upload test.  I was thinking of using the non scripted mitm to "slowdown" the connection of his too. I know it sounded strange as it speeded up mine (capped speed)

If only I could! , heck for all I care i would've just killed/slowdown his connection the whole day. Not always an easy thing to do for a person such as myself :(

But I've thought of an idea that might work! Place a camera somewhere at an angle that could see what he typed , and kill his connection to lure him into accessing the settings page? Thoughts on that?

So far this is bordering on illegal. Who is the person in question in relation to you? A brother?

If only I could! , heck for all I care i would've just killed/slowdown his connection the whole day. Not always an easy thing to do for a person such as myself :(

But I've thought of an idea that might work! Place a camera somewhere at an angle that could see what he typed , and kill his connection to lure him into accessing the settings page? Thoughts on that?

lol I like it

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

So far this is bordering on illegal. Who is the person in question in relation to you? A brother?

Sorry about that. Yes..

Sorry about that. Yes..

Then why not simply speak to your parents about the issue? 

I didn't even read the post but speedcaps are on the providers side not the client. So whatever anybody else said .. The answer is no

Home Machine:

Ryzen 5900x Processor - 64gb Ram - 10gig Fiber

ASUS PG348Q Monitor -- Samsung 34" TV -  1080ti Card

NAS:

Ryzen 5600x - 64gb Ram - 10gig Fiber

Hot Swap 3u - Redundant Power

Then why not simply speak to your parents about the issue? 

I did , they just asked him to remove whatever he did. But as always , he won't even though he knows he's wrong and doesn't even feel guilty about doing so.Hence , I'm doing this to at least have proof that he did.

I didn't even read the post but speedcaps are on the providers side not the client. So whatever anybody else said .. The answer is no

Provider's speedcaps are different , I was speed caped through the router's settings page from a 5mbps to a meastly 0.5mbps or less. 

Change your MAC address. He's probably put you in some parental setting to limit the bandwidth/speed it will be controlled by MAC to keep you on a specific IP so changing your MAC and changing your IP (if it doesn't automatically) will probably fix it.

It won't work if you have MAC filtering and you are wirelessly connected to the router.

you could MITM him by ARP poisoning to grab the admin credentials that are sent over HTTP. although that would be illegal unless you have permission.

He would be able to see that you have connected via other ways in the admin panel as it will show clients with different mac addresses, not sure what you mean by MITM as i see no benifit in doing it against yourself as the same result could be achieved by changing mac address unless he uses some sort of white listing/ captive portal in which case change your mac address to the same as one of his devices. 

Change your MAC address. He's probably put you in some parental setting to limit the bandwidth/speed it will be controlled by MAC to keep you on a specific IP so changing your MAC and changing your IP (if it doesn't automatically) will probably fix it.

It won't work if you have MAC filtering and you are wirelessly connected to the router.

I was thinking of doing this too , will do a research on this later on. Thanks!

you could MITM him by ARP poisoning to grab the admin credentials that are sent over HTTP. although that would be illegal unless you have permission.

He would be able to see that you have connected via other ways in the admin panel as it will show clients with different mac addresses, not sure what you mean by MITM as i see no benifit in doing it against yourself as the same result could be achieved by changing mac address unless he uses some sort of white listing/ captive portal in which case change your mac address to the same as one of his devices. 

Yea , i know it sounds strange that I did a MITM "script" attack but without the script that is , and as I've said to my surprised it somehow "Bypassed" the capped limit but nowhere near as stable as the normal uncapped speeds though. I will try changing my mac address , any ideas how do I start? Thanks a lot!

as neon said; change your mac address as he has probably set bandwidth limits via qos and its more than likely targeted on your mac address. but i would reset the router and take control of it. i would not retaliate by then limiting him afterwards. that would only make him want to continue this feud. just keep control and let everyone have full access. Also try explaining to him that games do not use very much bandwidth and if anyone is suffering its the gamer trying to play on a connection when someone else is streaming large video content. 

I assume windows http://www.technitium.com/tmac/index.html

Linux: apt-get install macchanger , macchanger -i eth0 -r  and I have no idea for mac. 

Yes I am using windows. Thanks , will let you know if it works! :)

as neon said; change your mac address as he has probably set bandwidth limits via qos and its more than likely targeted on your mac address. but i would reset the router and take control of it. i would not retaliate by then limiting him afterwards. that would only make him want to continue this feud. just keep control and let everyone have full access. Also try explaining to him that games do not use very much bandwidth and if anyone is suffering its the gamer trying to play on a connection when someone else is streaming large video content. 

Thanks for the opinions , but i personally wouldn't take control of it , sadly , it's beyond what the personal limits that i could do. No courage that is. Yes , i agree that i shouldn't retaliate , i just want my normal speed , be done with it and just forget what had happened IF changing MAC address works. Also , he knows that games doesn't affect the connection as it doesn't use much of the bandwidth , he capped because he could , that's how unreasonable he is and to see the smirk on his face... MAN!... Oh well.

Okay , i can confirmed that it works! Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate every single comments made! Strangely enough the internet is misbehaving lately , so i couldn't get the full 5mbps speedtest but still A LOT better than being capped! Again , thanks a lot! :)