Pros and Cons to leaving your side panel permanently open?

pewpewmerica

Title says it all

PC Specs:  2x GTX 550 ti in SLI - Intel i7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz - Thermaltake Overseer Case - 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram - 1TB Harddrive - 500 Watt PSU that came with my old prebuilt pc lawl -  ASUS P8P67 EVO

Peripherals:  Razer Deathadder Black Edition - Razer Arctosa Keyboard - Logitech G53 Headset

Cool song of the day: Chief Keef - Round da Rosey    Changed my profile pic again...                                        Mountain Dew is good. So are video games and music. Oh and unicorns.

Pros: Potentially lower temps. Cons: Dust, vulnerable to hits, etc.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You get higher temps, more noise (if It's on a table, head level) and more dust.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

You get higher temps, more noise (if It's on a table, head level) and more dust.

Wouldn't it be lower temps?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Pros:

Greater Air flow for cooling GPUs, especially in SLI/Xfire configurations.

Looks better (esp. if you don't have a windowed side panel)

Cons:

Faster and more dust build up

Louder

Lack of protection from external factors such as Water spills

Probably more - but that's all i can think of now ..

Cons: cats new sitting spot

Cpu: Intel i7 4770k @4.4 Ghz | Case: Corsair 350D | Motherbord: Z87 Gryphon | Ram: dominator platinum 4X4 1866 | Video Card: SLI GTX 980 Ti | Power Supply: Seasonic 1000 platinum | Monitor: ACER XB270HU | Keyboard: RK-9100 | Mouse: R.A.T. 7 | Headset : HD 8 DJ | Watercooled

Pros:

Greater Air flow for cooling GPUs, especially in SLI/Xfire configurations.

Looks better (esp. if you don't have a windowed side panel)

Cons:

Faster and more dust build up

Louder

Lack of protection from external factors such as Water spills

Probably more - but that's all i can think of now ..

I have sli, is it worth leaving mine open?

PC Specs:  2x GTX 550 ti in SLI - Intel i7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz - Thermaltake Overseer Case - 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram - 1TB Harddrive - 500 Watt PSU that came with my old prebuilt pc lawl -  ASUS P8P67 EVO

Peripherals:  Razer Deathadder Black Edition - Razer Arctosa Keyboard - Logitech G53 Headset

Cool song of the day: Chief Keef - Round da Rosey    Changed my profile pic again...                                        Mountain Dew is good. So are video games and music. Oh and unicorns.

Cons: cats new sitting spot

think of all the cat hair in the case  <_<

think of all the cat hair in the case  <_<

Static electricity.

probably not. but why not try it out?

Dust

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Depends how much space you have between the cards. If they're packed close together (EG 1 / 0 expansion slots between them) then it may be an idea..

What about modifying the side panel and putting mesh on it?

Depends how much space you have between the cards. If they're packed close together (EG 1 / 0 expansion slots between them) then it may be an idea..

hmmm, they have like an inch and a half distance from each other, what does that mean? haha

Pros: Potentially lower temps. Cons: Dust, vulnerable to hits, etc.

Like a USB :p BA DUM CHAAAA.

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Dust: Thats why MOBOs are vertical, so the dust can accumulate in the Bottom, but at least U can see the dust in a daily basis

so u are encouraged to clean more frequently

Temp: A closed case recirculate a significant portion of the airflow  thru heatsinks, that will definitely increase temps (otherwise would be a turbine)

Unless exterior temp is somehow superior than the interior temps

Noise: yeah, definitely more noise

As a personal note, I like to use the "thumb-o-meter" its just a silly thing but I like to touch my GPU pipes from once in while

I have postioned my GPU in vertical postion using PCIe risers, so the fans sucks air directly from the exterior

Mine is always open. I guess it egts a little dusty quicker but it stays cooler because England is coooold.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Wouldn't it be lower temps?

Not from what I've heard, because it ruins the airflow (it doesn't move as its suppose to). Though I don't know personally.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Not from what I've heard, because it ruins the airflow (it doesn't move as its suppose to). Though I don't know personally.

In my case (no pun intended) it would be detrimental to my temps, since i have fans on my side panel blowing fresh air directly at my gpu, but if you have no fans or other openings, it will only give you more fresh, cool air

Main Machines~ Prometheus - i7 3930k @ 4.5GHz, X79-UD3, HyperX Blu 1600Mhz 24Gb (2x8Gb, 2x4Gb), XFX Double-D 7970, H100i, Military green C70, TX850M, All Corsair SP/AF-120 fans, Samsung 840 Pro 128Gb, 750Gb Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM x2, NZXT Hue accent lights (wouldn't reccommend, they don't stick well). Laptop~ Asus X202E touch notebook- 500Gb 5400RPM 7mm HDD, 4Gb RAM-not upgradeable, 1.8GHz i3, HD4000

Pro: street cred.

Con: if something explodes it will get projected into your face.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Pro: street cred.

Con: if something explodes it will get projected into your face.

that doesnt sound fun

that doesnt sound fun

that's why it's a con.... unless... you mean that.... you don't care about your reputation on tha block  :o

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Graphics cards defiantly runs cooler with case side off, for me though the extra sound and the amount of dust that gets in the case makes it a no no....someone should manufacture a full side panel sized dust filter that you could put in place of the side panel, that would solve one of the issues at least.

Suppose you could always use your mums tights if she has a really fat arse instead. ;)

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Pros:

-Better temps

-Easy access to the internals

Cons:

-Negative air pressure

-Dust build up

-More noise

-Components are exposed and unprotected from accidents

-Shows off cables hidden by the side panel

Pros:

-Better temps

-Easy access to the internals