Overclocking your monitor refresh rate - AMD GPU's

bartekxx12

i'll try it out (wonder if my flatron will handle the OC... supposedly it reaches 75Hz.. but Win7 doesn't show that refresh rate...) :D

Spacebar bestbar

-blocko

Thanks for the guide, got my LG IPS235 from 60hz to 74hz and it seemed slightly smoother in games and I felt less eye strain as well.

meh who knows if this actually makes a difference or if it is all placebo, I overclocked my monitor to 75 hz did not notice a difference but keeping it (fuck it)

Trust me it makes a difference my eyes get very irritated when viewing fast moving content (i.e games) on a large screen with a refresh rate of 60hz or lower up close, since overclocking my monitor to 75hz all the motion feels much smoother and I can actually look at it without feeling uncomfortable.

CPU: i5 2500K @ 4.2GHZ, GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2X4GB) 1600MHZ, Mobo: Asus P8Z77M, Chassis: Phanteks P400s Tempered Glass editionStorage: Seagate 1TB + Samsung 2TB In RAID 0 + Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Sound Card: Asus Xonar DS, Mouse: Steelseries Sensei, Keyboard: CM Storm Quick Fire Pro, Monitor: BenQ G2410HD + Samsung SA1900

There isn't a certain level of knowledge I measure from its participant. I respond accordingly.

If in the thread, the conversation happens with people that are more knowledgeable, I don't explain things that are obvious to them, unless asked.

I normally ignore rude posts, but I'll do an exception.

Nvidia

Open The Nvidia control panel (right-click on the desktop, and select: Nvidia Control Panel). On the left side column, select Change Resolution, then click on the Custom button, then click on Create Custom Resolution. From there you can enter a new resolution. Note that you can't edit a custom resolution if it currently selected. So if you want to edit your custom resolution later, you need to pick a different resolution, and now you can edit the custom resolution. TO edit a resolution, click on the pen icon that will be displayed in the list of resolution on the Nvidia Control Panel.

AMD

I don't have an AMD GPU in hand, but the following should do the trick:

As for AMD: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU-10-SupportedResolutionsUnavailableforMonitor.aspx

Follow what is after the first picture.

Intel

The method varies based on the Intel Control Panel, which differs between graphics solution.

This Intel help documentation page, explain how to create a custom resolution based on the Control Panel look:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-029478.htm

The AMD solution doesn't work because when you click 75Hz or whatever it switches to a low res

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

There isn't a certain level of knowledge I measure from its participant. I respond accordingly.

If in the thread, the conversation happens with people that are more knowledgeable, I don't explain things that are obvious to them, unless asked.

I normally ignore rude posts, but I'll do an exception.

Nvidia

Open The Nvidia control panel (right-click on the desktop, and select: Nvidia Control Panel). On the left side column, select Change Resolution, then click on the Custom button, then click on Create Custom Resolution. From there you can enter a new resolution. Note that you can't edit a custom resolution if it currently selected. So if you want to edit your custom resolution later, you need to pick a different resolution, and now you can edit the custom resolution. TO edit a resolution, click on the pen icon that will be displayed in the list of resolution on the Nvidia Control Panel.

AMD

I don't have an AMD GPU in hand, but the following should do the trick:

As for AMD: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU-10-SupportedResolutionsUnavailableforMonitor.aspx

Follow what is after the first picture.

Intel

The method varies based on the Intel Control Panel, which differs between graphics solution.

This Intel help documentation page, explain how to create a custom resolution based on the Control Panel look:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-029478.htm

As already mentioned (now that I've seen the previous post), the AMD one is not applicable as it does not allow CUSTOM resolutions/refresh rates as described only preset standards from AMD that may or may not be supported by the monitor. AMD also has a pixel clock limiter on the DVI-D port that needs unlocked.

So you've only served to confirm the response you're replying to - you're just being an arrogant bragger who can't accept when they're wrong.

Regardless, yes nVidia and Intel both support unlocking custom resolutions directly in their control panels. So it becomes more a matter of preference whether to use that or this solution. Both do the same thing so it doesn't matter which way it's done. Again - arrogant to impose your way as the only way it should be done. Welcome to the world of the PC; where there are multiple right ways of doing the same thing. With variations on efficiency, simplicity, and convenience.

Now disregarding the above quote entirely I'ld like to add my two cents to the pot:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=qnix+qx2710 (using Linus's Amazon affiliate code)

All known variants of the 2710 from QNIX and X-Star as far as I am aware do not have frame skipping at and OC to 120Hz. I would recommend an S-IPS from the various 2710 models since they tend to have the least backlight bleed. The AH-VA panels have faster response time though if you don't care about some degree of backlight bleed.

It's true Korean monitors are cheap, but they use the same display panels that high-priced brand name displays use. If all you want and care about is the 1440p 120Hz; then they are without question the most affordable way to go.

As others including myself have already pointed out: AMD has a pixel clock limiter on the DVI-D port that needs unlocked. Full details were already provided, but I'll relink to the actual threads for a more concise post.

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU This is the CRU thread.

http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-AMD-ATI-Pixel-Clock-Patcher This is the pixel clock patcher thread.

Both work just fine. I've been running both nVidia and AMD/ATI systems on these 'cheap' 1440p displays overclocked to 120Hz for some time. I've gone through more graphics cards than I have monitors.

I would NOT recommend using these overclocking functions on ASUS displays. They seem to be pushing their limits right out of the box as is. Frankly the only monitor I've had die on me is an ASUS VW266H; once within 18 months and again 4 years later. Same reason both times: Power regulator capacitor blew out. Go figure.

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/6145146?
This is how you own price to performance.
"Life is too precious to be wasted in misery." -Me.

I'm a little bit panicking now, i have 4 monitors, but my main monitor that i use for gaming, isn't in the list...

Any idea how i can fix that?

edit: nvm, fixed it, restarted the pc and it appeared now... Hopefully it will work

edit2. overclocked to 70Hz, ty for the tutorial! works fine!

Little thing, i had to switch the bios of my 6950 to try 75hz, it didn't show 75hz or 80hz in the menu with the wrong bios.

Doesn't matter for me now because it can't handle 75hz but oh well, it was a nice little tweak moment :)

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen or hear about a monitor being damaged from overclocking?

I checked few forums about it and people loose their minds saying you shouldn't do it, its not worth it for 20hz more, and so on... But also I didn't see anyone reporting any big problems after OCing.

I got 1080p TN monitor, only got 5hz overclock.

I have a fairly cheap monitor (Viewsonic VA2212) and I've had it at 70Hz for over a year now, no problems so far.

• 1 month later...

I'm running a ASUS VX248 at 1080P 70Hz via HDMI and a Dell UP2414Q at 1080P 85Hz. Think the dell can go further but it comes up with unsupported on 90Hz likely limited by firmware. Not using 4K at the moment due to annoyance of mst.

Bookmarked this for later when im back at my PC. Great tutorial man hopefully it works when I try it out :)

'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'

• 3 weeks later...

Got my Viewsonic VX2370-SMH up from 60Hz to 75Hz at 1080p, seems to be working fine right now, but only time will tell...

IT WORKS! ...I think

I got my VE248 Asus monitor up to 69hz, but if I go 70 or higher I get a black screen and "Out of response range" displayed. Which makes me think that Asus is limiting refresh rates. Anyone else have this?

CPU- 4690k @4.5ghz / 1.3v    Mobo- Asus Maximus VI Gene   RAM- 12GB GSkill Assorted 1600mhz   GPU- ASUS GTX 760 DCUII-OC 

Storage- 1TB 7200rpm WD Blue + Kingston SSDNow 240GB   PSU- Silverstone Strider ST75F-P

I went from 60 Hz to 75Hz on my BenQ RL2455HM. I think that's a pretty good jump. It got rid of the annoying black frame and stretch the screen all the way out. Thanks!!

AMD FX 6300 Black Edition, ASRock 990FX Killer, 16GBs Memory @2133, 2 MSI R9 270x's in Crossfire, NZXT Kraken X41 Cooler, Samsung 850 pro SSD, 1 TB HDD, EVGA Supernova NEX 650 G, and with 4 other fans.

did it.. my display refresh rate went up to 70Hz (weird.. because according to AMD's control panel my monitor can reach 75Hz... but hey.. 10 hertz are 10 hertz) lol

Spacebar bestbar

-blocko

did it.. my display refresh rate went up to 70Hz (weird.. because according to AMD's control panel my monitor can reach 75Hz... but hey.. 10 hertz are 10 hertz) lol

My Max refresh is 75Hz displayed, but thats only in effect of resolutions of 1366x768 or lower, any higher and it's max 60hz.

CCC obviously just reads the MAX capable, not the MAX for the Resolution you chose.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Edit - Oops should have multi-quoted. soz

I went from 60 Hz to 75Hz on my BenQ RL2455HM. I think that's a pretty good jump. It got rid of the annoying black frame and stretch the screen all the way out. Thanks!!

That black frame is easily fixed by AMD CCC scaling options in the control panel.

There is also a registry entry you can add if you do not install the CCC panel.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Well i got it working BUT the monitor pooped (its a samsung) and worked, except it put a notice on my screen saying "INPUT NOT OPTIMAL!!!!!!!" what do i do to get rid of this notice ? 

Since someone already bumped this today, I guess it doesn't hurt asking :3

Whenever I set the refresh rate to anything higher than 60(default) it starts flickering. Don't know if anyone could help me with this <3 ^^

Running a R9 280x with 2x BenQ GL2450H.

y3HxgCY.png

Sorry if my post offended your entire family, but I get kind of defensive when I'm high...

I got it up to 75 hertz! But when i change it to 80hz it sorta changes to a lower resolution.... 

Do we have to manually set games to run at lets say 75 hertz? Or does it do it automatically?

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

hmm does this trick also work for TV's used as monitors ?

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Intel HD 4000 *not from this program* I can only OC to 75Hz at 1024*768 through Intel Graphics control, it's somewhat awesome but only if I can keep games at 75fps *fucking Intel iGPU*.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and i came here just to ask something.

I manage to get my monitor (a Benq GL2450) to 75hz 1080p but I stay at 70hz because whenever I use 75hz the speakers integrated just make a bzzzzz not that i use them verry often but it's quite annoying... Anything i can do?

----edited

I noticed that distortion even at 70hz in csgo.

After adding the various Hz options in CRU and rebooting, there aren't any new Hz options when I go to my advance monitor settings beside the stock 60Hz. Anyone know what went wrong?