Nikon vs phone

Stealth1304

My brother decided to argue that his 13mp camera on his phone was just as good as my 12.2mp Nikon camera. Can you spot the difference?

29dtma1.jpg

35a165j.jpg

The top one looks better as it's capturing more light.

But, I'm no camera guru. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

The bottom one is the Nikon. The pictures aren't ideal for comparison though because the angles are different and the lighting appears to be different

My brother is saying he is winning because @X1XNobleX1X said his picture was better and @amintha1992 and @nj4ck didn't mention which one was better. Which one is better?

the bottom one, there's slight artifacting and less detail captured in the top one.

lighting is way different but bottom has more detail to it so im picking it

the bottom picture is better because there are more small details in the image, altough the difference in angle and light(?) make it harder to draw a proper conclusion.

I must also say, modern smartphone's are roughly the same quality as cheap/simple point and shoot camera's due to the small diffrence in sensor size.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Top one is phone, bottom is DSLR. The top photo is noisy and the colors are over saturated.

I wouldn't let him bother you about it. There are some good cameras on phones, but it's all about the glass and flexibility that your camera provides in any situation.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

The MP count doesn't apply when there is a dramatic difference in sensor size. My old nikon d60 has a 12 MP sensor. My phone also has a 12 MP sensor but it's tiny In comparison. The dslr destroys the phone.

Your test images are not a good comparison. The bottom one is to dark.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

The top one looks better as it's capturing more light.

But, I'm no camera guru. 

top one is a grainy mess, with poor sharpness.  that is because the ISO is way too high

You guys need to re take your sample shots.  They should be taken from the same perspective under the same lighting conditions.  That said, I think the top is from the phone while the bottom is the camera.  The phone looks a bit muddier but the camera shot was taken under poor lighting.

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers

• 2 years later...

This issue happens due to poor version of camera firmware. Update the firmware version with following steps:

• Create a folder on the computer hard disk and name it as desired.
  • Download F-D5300-V101W.exe to the folder created in Step 1.
  • Run F-D5300-V101W.exe to extract the following file to a folder named “D5300Update”: • D5300_0101.bin (the camera firmware)
  • Using a card slot or card reader, copy “D5300_0101.bin” to a memory card that has been formatted in the camera.
  • Insert the memory card into the camera memory card slot and turn the camera on.
  • Select Firmware version in the SETUP MENU and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the firmware update.
  • Once the update is complete, turn the camera off and remove the memory card.
  • Confirm that the firmware has been updated to the new version. 

Check more details at Nikon d60 Manual- guideusermanual.com/product-name-d60-manual&po=4316&lang=English. Good Luck. 

On 2/22/2015 at 8:19 AM, Stealth1304 said:

My brother decided to argue that his 13mp camera on his phone was just as good as my 12.2mp Nikon camera. Can you spot the difference?

29dtma1.jpg

35a165j.jpg

In conditions that are ideally suitable for each camera, the photos taken by each can be comparable.  But outside of those conditions, a phone camera will be beaten by a DSLR every time unless you compare different generations of cameras (i.e. New iPhone vs 15 year old Nikon).

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

The bottom one is defentivly better if we are talking image quality. However the angle and light should have been shot the same way to accuratly compare them. But the phones image look oversaturated and have lost a lot of detail that the other image has. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"