PSU's & finding the right one

I had some serious issues with my hx1050, it had terrible voltage drops under load, and didn't even have 12 volts on the 12v rail under idle conditions.

Moving from that to my new evga 1000 p2, I've been so happy. The same loads I put on it as the old psu, the 12v rail has 12.1 at idle, and 11.9v at the max load I can put on it (The hx1050 was 11.9v at idle, and 11.3v at load).  It helped out my mining at the same time w/ both cards, the voltage drop on my old PSU would decrease my hashrates when mining w/ both cards at once by about 10%, I'm assuming it had an effect on FPS too.   Now that I've got my new PSU, I noticed no decrease in the hashrates now.  

I think this goes to show that buying a quality unit is really important, something I should of done from the start.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, can you help me out choosing the right psu for this build? (i also want to overclock in the future and i want to liquid cool it)

Intel Core i7.4770k @ ???

Asus maximus VI Formula

corsair dominator platinum 16GB

Asus raidr 240 GB

WD Black 3TB

Asus poseidon gtx 780

NZXT Phantom Full atx tower case

Hey Guys,

I am new to the formus here, but I recently just bought a second graphics card and am wondering if my PSU is adequate.  I have my computer's specs listed out in my profile.  My PSU is a

Rosewill CAPSTONE-750 750W Continuous @ 50°C, Intel Haswell Ready, 80 PLUS GOLD, ATX12V v2.31 & EPS12V v2.92, SLI/CrossFire Ready, Active PFC Power Supply

... sorry for the bold and stuff, I took it right off of newegg.

Specs:

Mobo: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0

CPU: AMD FX-8350

PCI-e x16: MSI TwinFrozr GTX 760 x2 SLI-ed

PCI-e x1: Asus PCE-N15 but its plugged into x16 slot

RAM: 4 Sticks of 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws

SATA Drives: 7200RPM Seagate Hybrid Drive and an ASUS BluRay Optical Drive

USB: My Logitech G600, G19s, and G930 all use power

Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition

So I don't know much of anything about PSUs, which is why I posted on here right above you, but I do know about that mobo and yes it can run your GTX760.  They are just letting you know that is also supports AMD's crossfire, which is basically just a bridgeless version of SLI, but feel free to throw two GTX760s in there and SLI them up.

Hi all,i'm building pc and i curious about how much wattage i need for my pc

and this is my spec:

Procie : AMD FX 8320

GPU : MSi R9 270 Gaming 2G

Motherboard : AsRock 970 Extreme 3

RAM : Patriot Viper 3 Dual Channel 8GB 16000MHz

CPU Cooler : Corsair H80i

Fan : 2 LED Fan 4 Fan

DVD : DVD Writer

For the PSU now i'm use Corsair CX 600W, am i should to upgrade it or that's enough for my pc,thanks

So I don't know much of anything about PSUs, which is why I posted on here right above you, but I do know about that mobo and yes it can run your GTX760.  They are just letting you know that is also supports AMD's crossfire, which is basically just a bridgeless version of SLI, but feel free to throw two GTX760s in there and SLI them up.

thank's :)

Hi all,i'm building pc and i curious about how much wattage i need for my pc

and this is my spec:

Procie : AMD FX 8320

GPU : MSi R9 270 Gaming 2G

Motherboard : AsRock 970 Extreme 3

RAM : Patriot Viper 3 Dual Channel 8GB 16000MHz

CPU Cooler : Corsair H80i

Fan : 2 LED Fan 4 Fan

DVD : DVD Writer

For the PSU now i'm use Corsair CX 600W, am i should to upgrade it or that's enough for my pc,thanks

Yes 600W is plenty as long as you only have one GPU, if you crossfire cards you will want to bump up to at least 750W, but mine as well go 850W and leave yourself some room to grow.

Yes 600W is plenty as long as you only have one GPU, if you crossfire cards you will want to bump up to at least 750W, but mine as well go 850W and leave yourself some room to grow.

thank you so much

@Windspeed36 There have been numerous threads made recently about the number of connectors a power supply has, or where the OP didn't realise a certain power supply didn't have the required connectors. There have been some instances where forum members recommended power supplies that didn't have sufficient connectors as well. These have mostly related to lower end PCs and PSUs that have only 1 PCIE connector. I would suggest changing the OP to accommodate this, telling everyone to check the connectors that a power supply comes with before making a thread or answering a question.

Gents,

Noobie on here but not a noob to PC building / modding as I've been doing it for years.

Last build (which I'm typing on) is a Q6600 overclocked to 3.6ghz.  Still running ok & running BF4 etc.  I know one of my RAM modules is on the way out and well after 5 years of good service it need updating & relegating to a home server.

Anyway since my last build I've also moved to a island in the Caribbean where a local shop it well non existent unless you like Mac's.   So I am limited on what I can get / ship in at huge expense.

Now I have lucked out in that I have inherited a i7 4770K 3.5ghz & a Asus Max. VI Formula. 

Now for the question.  Rig will be:

i7 4770K

Asus Max. VI Formula

16Gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 2133mhz

3 x 3.5" HDD (300gb, 700gb, 1tb, 2 x 2.5" 500gb 1x Samsung EVO 250gb

1 x blu ray

8 case fans. (120mm)

1 x EVGA 580gtx 3gb

My current power supply is a Zalman 750-hp  (only 1 x 8 pin cpu connector) Would this suffice for now until we move back states side in a few months or should I update it now?.

Also I'd like to update to a Asus 770gtx  when we move to.  Anyway will the current 750 psu be ok for now or should I update it.   (PSU is about 3/4 years old)  Also if I do update it 750w / 850w recommended?  Corsair or EVGA (thats a RM Corsair or a EVGA G series (not G2) as that what I can get shipped here at the moment easily)

I have worked things out to be 750 but as I havent done this in a while I'd like to get a few extra opinions.

Yes I will OC it when Its together if possible - PSU dependant.

Cheers

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Gents,

Noobie on here but not a noob to PC building / modding as I've been doing it for years.

Last build (which I'm typing on) is a Q6600 overclocked to 3.6ghz. Still running ok & running BF4 etc. I know one of my RAM modules is on the way out and well after 5 years of good service it need updating & relegating to a home server.

Anyway since my last build I've also moved to a island in the Caribbean where a local shop it well non existent unless you like Mac's. So I am limited on what I can get / ship in at huge expense.

Now I have lucked out in that I have inherited a i7 4770K 3.5ghz & a Asus Max. VI Formula.

Now for the question. Rig will be:

i7 4770K

Asus Max. VI Formula

16Gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 2133mhz

3 x 3.5" HDD (300gb, 700gb, 1tb, 2 x 2.5" 500gb 1x Samsung EVO 250gb

1 x blu ray

8 case fans. (120mm)

1 x EVGA 580gtx 3gb

My current power supply is a Zalman 750-hp (only 1 x 8 pin cpu connector) Would this suffice for now until we move back states side in a few months or should I update it now?.

Also I'd like to update to a Asus 770gtx when we move to. Anyway will the current 750 psu be ok for now or should I update it. (PSU is about 3/4 years old) Also if I do update it 750w / 850w recommended? Corsair or EVGA (thats a RM Corsair or a EVGA G series (not G2) as that what I can get shipped here at the moment easily)

I have worked things out to be 750 but as I havent done this in a while I'd like to get a few extra opinions.

Yes I will OC it when Its together if possible - PSU dependant.

Cheers

Chris

Nice potential build. With a gtx 770, you can get away with much less than 750 watts. I'd recommend something by seasonic, such as the g series 550 watt. It's far better quality than the RM series.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

In the PSU calculator it has Regular, High rpm, and Green SATA.  What do these equate to in RPM?  7200, 10000, & 5400 respectively?

In the PSU calculator it has Regular, High rpm, and Green SATA.  What do these equate to in RPM?  7200, 10000, & 5400 respectively?

Reg would be 7200RPM, Green would be 5400 and High RPM is ofcourse 10000RPM.

EVGA GTX760 Superclocked (ACX) - i5 4570 - 8GB DDR3 - 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue - Corsair CX500 - NZXT Source 210(Black)  - 1x 120mm - Valley Bench http://imgur.com/J4EJnvV

Hi guys i want to upgrade a few components

My computer atm:

i7-4770k stock clock

msi z87-43

palit gtx 770 oc at 1254 mhz

phobya toch 6 fan controller

wlan pci card 300 mbit/s

1 lg bluray drive

1 tb hard drive
300 gb 10000rpm hard drive

corsair vs650

i want to upgrade to a second gtx 770 and have to upgrade my motherboard too

i came along with the msi z97-55 sli and a second gtx770

can i still use my 650w psu when i upgrade to sli or do i have to buy a new one?

and should i buy a 860w or pay 30€ more for the 1000w psu when i want to upgrade to costum watercooling in the future?

i hope you guys can help me with my problem and sorry for bad english but thanks anyway (:

• 3 weeks later...

i have bought gigabyte gtx 780 and on the package it says that it needs PSU with 42A . My700w PSU has 4 lains with 18A. is it enough?

• 2 weeks later...

I have used many different PSU Calculators and the results vary a lot.

The one on Asus had the highest recommendation (about 500w) but it was much higher than all the others (between 350w-430w).

I think i finally decided on a Corsair CX600. For what im building that should be plenty of power.

The Build:

Rosewill Challanger Mid ATX Case w/ 3x case fans

ASUS M5A97 R2.0 Motherboard

AMD FX-6300 CPU

Kingston HyperX Fury 2x4GB Memory @ 1600Mhz

Sapphire Radeon R7 260x 2GB GPU

ASUS 24x dvd/rw optical drive

WD 1TB Sata3 @7200 rpm hard drive

Wireless USB Keyboard and Mouse

I might add a wireless NIC and Gaming Headset at some point.

I have no plans to overclock anything. Only add on i see happening any time soon would be the NIC, Headset and maybe a memory upgrade when the budget permits.

Any thoughts?

Jim

I need a little help in finding the right psu for my gaming rig. According to a power cal i need about 484 watts.  I was looking at this psu Evga 850w 80+ Gold. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jXVgQ7

What I've noticed, and I've been shopping lately because I want a modular PSU, the price difference between a 550w/650w/750w is only about 5 dollars, in fact the Corsair RM models 550/750 are the exact same price on Amazon, strikes me as odd.  It's as if they're pushing us into higher wattages but I really wouldn't understand the motivation in that when there is no real difference in the pricing.   Looking at it right now, 550w is 109.99/650w is 104.98/750w is 109.99.   Does anyone understand why this would be?  It makes it suspect but I have a suspicious nature. 

I need some help.... I want to have some room to upgrade.

Is my set up good? And is the power supply enough for future upgrades and for the setup I have right now?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/99PYQ7

| Ryzen 9 3950X | EVGA 1200P2 | AMD 5700XT | ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi | G. Skill 4x16GB 3600Mhz CL16 F4-3600C16D-32GTZN | 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro | Lian Li O11 Dynamic |

I need some help.... I want to have some room to upgrade.

Is my set up good? And is the power supply enough for future upgrades and for the setup I have right now?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/99PYQ7

I think it's enough and futureproof.  When DDR4 comes out the voltages will be lower, I honestly expect the same trend from other components (mobo/cpu), more performance with less energy.  So the number one power draw will always be the GPU/GPU's.  If you're sticking with a single card, you should be fine, if you ever want to use more than one might want something only slightly meatier.  It depends on what you're going for really.  I mean if you think of yourself as an enthusiast who wants to push the bleeding edge then add more power, if not, for what you have setup there, that PSU is enough even with single GPU future upgrades. 

EDIT: Also just a piece of advice, get at least a partially modular PSU if not fully.  That's the biggest thing I'd change in my build.  

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I need to replace my current PSU (LcPower 600W : http://www.lc-power.de/index.php?id=488&L=1) with a little more reliable one.

What is important? that is quiet, NO coil noise, at least 80Plus Bronze (I prefer 80Plus Gold), as  long Warranty as possible (at least 3 years, if more, it's better). Modular/non-modular doesn't matter. Price up to 130$?

For build:

- Intel i7-3770 3.4 GHz

- Asrock Z77 pro4-M

- RAM 16 GB (4x4GB) TakeMS DDR3 1600MHz

- Radeon HD7850 royalKing 2048MB ( factory overclocked to 910MHz I think)

- HDD Seagate barracuda 2TB

- DVD-RW

- couple of fans (I am buying also new case and fans, so I don't know how many fans, let say 2 to 4)

- near future: SSD (250 GB)

- far future: new GPU for around 300$: R9 280x or future equivalent

any suggestions? also how much power?

Hi, I need to replace my current PSU (LcPower 600W : http://www.lc-power.de/index.php?id=488&L=1) with a little more reliable one.

What is important? that is quiet, NO coil noise, at least 80Plus Bronze (I prefer 80Plus Gold), as  long Warranty as possible (at least 3 years, if more, it's better). Modular/non-modular doesn't matter. Price up to 130$?

For build:

- Intel i7-3770 3.4 GHz

- Asrock Z77 pro4-M

- RAM 16 GB (4x4GB) TakeMS DDR3 1600MHz

- Radeon HD7850 royalKing 2048MB ( factory overclocked to 910MHz I think)

- HDD Seagate barracuda 2TB

- DVD-RW

- couple of fans (I am buying also new case and fans, so I don't know how many fans, let say 2 to 4)

- near future: SSD (250 GB)

- far future: new GPU for around 300$: R9 280x or future equivalent

any suggestions? also how much power?

With that kind of a budget you could basically buy anything you want from a well known manufacturer.

For basic building I'd look for the CX series of Corsair, if you want something a little bit higher end go for a RM series PSU. 600-700W will be very fine for that kind of a system. A solo GPU system usually consumes no less than 400-450W. A Corsair RM650 would be a good choice, but anything in the likes of Seasonic, BeQuiet!, CoolerMaster etc. in this wattage area will be fine.

• Primary PC: i7-3770K@4,6GHz | Thermalright Macho | ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance@1866MHz | 2x Gigabyte 660ti 3GB@1130MHz | 256 GB Samsung 840 | WD Black 1TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 650W | Zalman Z11
  • Secondary PC: i7-860@3,1GHz | Scythe Katana 3 | ASUS Maximus III Formula P55 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | 2x Zotac GTX 280@650MHz | WD Velociraptor 500GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 750W | Coolermaster Cosmos S