is bigger always better for harddrives?

lukky211111
Go to solution Solved by cesrai,

You should have a backup drive and other drives for normal use, there is also raid 1 which will help you if a HDD fail but for me having one backup drive is fine,

So my question is kinda simple kinda complex. Im looking for hardrives for my build ive already started to buy some of my parts but ive always heard for storage larger hard drives are more likely to fail. so then is the solution to buy for example two 1 TB drives? 

askdjfasdf

Your solution is to buy whatever you want.

And then a backup drive. 

All drives have the potential of failing, and while there "may" be a certain drive that fails more often than others, you are really more likely to have your drive fail because of normal wear and tear. 

The only way to actually be safe, is with backups. 

And for the record, I have not heard anything about larger drives failing sooner, and dont see any reason why that would be true. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

You should have a backup drive and other drives for normal use, there is also raid 1 which will help you if a HDD fail but for me having one backup drive is fine,

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Your solution is to buy whatever you want.

And then a backup drive. 

All drives have the potential of failing, and while there "may" be a certain drive that fails more often than others, you are really more likely to have your drive fail because of normal wear and tear. 

The only way to actually be safe, is with backups. 

And for the record, I have not heard anything about larger drives failing sooner, and dont see any reason why that would be true. 

ive heard the larger the drive the more likely it is to fail.

askdjfasdf

so should i go with 1 tb 2 tb or bigger?

askdjfasdf

That depends on how much storage you need. Bigger capacity does not mean bigger chances of failing.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

1TB is fine, if you can get two 1 TB drives and put them in raid 1, I think 2 1TB WD Green in raid 1 would be good for backups.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

1TB is fine, if you can get two 1 TB drives and put them in raid 1, I think 2 1TB WD Green in raid 1 would be good for backups.

so bascly the two drives are the backups as well as my main storage?

askdjfasdf

so bascly the two drives are the backups as well as my main storage?

Nope for backup keep those drives separate and use other drives as your main storage.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

3-4 TB seems to be the sweet spot as for price per GB but it depends how much data you store on your PC and the performance because once you go to the 4TB drives they run at 5400-5900RPM there is a small loss in read and write speeds. 

I think 2TB would be a better value for expansion in the future since one drive is better than having multiple, leaving for less parts to fail and less noise.

Nope for backup keep those drives separate and use other drives as your main storage.

so ill be having basicly 4 drives in my pc one ssd for my OS then the main mass stoarge then the raid 1 config.

askdjfasdf

so ill be having basicly 4 drives in my pc one ssd for my OS then the main mass stoarge then the raid 1 config.

Or, just get two 4TB drives. One you use, and one as an external USB drive you backup to. No need for RAID1.....

Or, just get two 4TB drives. One you use, and one as an external USB drive you backup to. No need for RAID1.....

how do external backups work?

askdjfasdf

Wait, I'm confused:

1. Do you have drives for your main storage ???

2. Having 1 separate drive for backup is fine.

3. Having 2 separate drives in raid 1 for backup is great.

4. Any questions ???

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

You use a program, like, Acronis, or Bvackup, or built-in windows backup to run daily/hourly whatever backups.

Wait, I'm confused:

4. Any questions ???

+1

Unless you can't have any downtime at all or don't have another system to rely on to use your backed up data on an external drive that you connect at the end of the week and run backup software on should be enough so raid 1 shouldn't be necessary for most users..

It's basically just a hard drive where you can either manually copy and paste your data into or run a program to do so to migrate all your important data into.

Wait, I'm confused:

4. Any questions ???

1. yes the second drive would be main mass storage.

4. i have lots of questions all the time because ive never built a computer before and have very little experience and knowledg with computers but i wanna learn a ton more. but my question is whats actually a practical fail safe system for storage?

askdjfasdf

You use a program, like, Acronis, or Bvackup, or built-in windows backup to run daily/hourly whatever backups.

+1

so then how do i know how to access the data that i have backed up that i need if its storing a ton of data?

askdjfasdf

1. yes the second drive would be main mass storage.

4. i have lots of questions all the time because ive never built a computer before and have very little experience and knowledg with computers but i wanna learn a ton more. but my question is whats actually a practical fail safe system for storage?

1. You own a drive ??

2. Can you buy a new 1TB drive ??

3. Can you buy new 2 1TB drives ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

1. You own a drive ??

2. Can you buy a new 1TB drive ??

3. Can you buy new 2 1TB drives ??

1.this is for my build im buying parts but have not bought a drive

3.i may possibly buy 2 1 tb drives. but well see.

askdjfasdf

1.this is for my build im buying parts but have not bought a drive

3.i may possibly buy 2 1 tb drives. but well see.

3. So you can buy two ??? if you end up with two drives use one for your main storage and one for backup.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

3. So you can buy two ??? if you end up with two drives use one for your main storage and one for backup.

gotcha now whats the best software to use or at least most simple and effective to use for backups?

askdjfasdf

gotcha now whats the best software to use or at least most simple and effective to use for backups?

what windows will you be using ??? 7 or 8.1 ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

what windows will you be using ??? 7 or 8.1 ??

askdjfasdf

Just use file history it's very useful or system image backup.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ