NVIDIA have been hit with a class action suit over the GTX 970.

If Gigabyte is getting thrown onto the fire, shouldn't all other brands (that sell the 970)?

To be straight up, I really couldn't give a flying fuck. It's a great performing card, yes nVidia might have misinformed people about some of the facts, but the figures don't lie. most people bought the card for how well it benchmarked and performed in games, not for the exact specifications of it, so they shouldn't be moaning.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I would say so.

I mean some people defend the TITAN Z LOL.

I myself have both nvidia and AMD cards and have used both.

I just dont like the lying , the gameworks rigging and the anti consumer BS:

exactly the same way i feel, its not always about who makes a solid product. if a company treats their customers and others in the same industry a little better than the other. then i will be more sympathetic towards them. what i do is buy a green card one year and a red card the next upgrade to stay neutral in the situation.

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

i just think its a bit extreme to sue over a GPU.

It's more about their lying about it, and then lying about why it happened.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Did Nvidia actually do anything illegal. I mean there was actually 4GB on the card you know. It's just 0.5GB of that 4GB was slower then the rest. It's like sueing AMD and Nvidia for saying there is 8GB on a dual GPU card when you can only use 4GB of that memory.

I think it has less cache and ROPs also less than advertised.

exactly the same way i feel, its not always about who makes a solid product. if a company treats their customers and others in the same industry a little better than the other. then i will be more sympathetic towards them. what i do is buy a green card one year and a red card the next upgrade to stay neutral in the situation.

Oh and mantle is amazing.

I suggest you read my thread , 20 fps increase on mantle.

Good reason to get GCN cards.

The technology is insane.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/314157-mantle-review-on-intel-cpus/

Maybe now they'll start listing the card has segmented memory?

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Good. I hope they get taken to the cleaners for this, even if I don't get my money back. Companies need to learn that lying about a product is NOT okay.

Can you please explain exactly how Nvidia "lied", because I don't see it.

a 20% refund? They might has well have spat in our faces and said "fuck you, we got your money, use the damned thing as a coaster, we don't care"

Oh come the fuck on! What do you want from them? I would be really really happy about a 20% refund, especially since the card still performs exactly like the benchmarks (which I hope you based your purchase on) showed.

I just dont like the lying , the gameworks rigging and the anti consumer BS:

Same goes for you. Please explain how Nvidia "lied", because I don't get it. Be very specific when you explain it to me as well.

As for gameworks rigging, is there any proof of that? Last time I checked the only games people were using as examples of "herp derp Gameworks cripples AMD cards" were from Ubisoft and they ran really bad on Nvidia cards as well. I think it's far more reasonable to assume that Ubisoft just fucked up the game instead of assuming that Nvidia are so desperate to cripple AMD that they are willing to sacrifice their own performance to do so.

Not sure of which anti consumer BS you are speaking of. Please be specific when you tell me.

This is so incredibly stupid I don't know where to begin. This will benefit absolutely nobody, except maybe the lawyers. It won't help 970 owners since the performance of the card won't change. It won't help AMD or other Nvidia users either. In a BEST case scenario, everyone will get slightly worse GPUs (including AMD users) in the coming years because instead of developing new and better things, Nvidia will have to spend time and effort fighting a ridiculous legal battle. The stronger Nvidia is, the more AMD has to fight and push so this will be bad for AMD users as well.

Everyone who are cheering for this are so blinded by irrational hatred of Nvidia that they don't even realize this is bad news for them as well.

Oh and mantle is amazing.

I suggest you read my thread , 20 fps increase on mantle.

Good reason to get GCN cards.

The technology is insane.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/314157-mantle-review-on-intel-cpus/

thanks for the link, sadly i bought the 970 and wont be getting a GCN card till the 400 series i guess. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Did Nvidia actually do anything illegal. I mean there was actually 4GB on the card you know. It's just 0.5GB of that 4GB was slower then the rest. It's like sueing AMD and Nvidia for saying there is 8GB on a dual GPU card when you can only use 4GB of that memory.

I think as far as the memory goes there's no case.

It's advertised as having 4GB of GDDR5, and it has it.

However there may be a case to make about the 256KB l2 cache and 8 ROPs that are present on the original specifications but not on the card itself.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Oh shit, 2 pages already filled to the brim with "All companies lie therefore this is dumb." I'm out.

(edit: someone is going to say "but they didn't lie" which isn't what I mean)

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

It annoys me when people say " the 970 still has 4 gb" it's like if I broke one of your legs forcing you to permantly walk with a limp and claiming " you still have 2 legs".

Oh shit, 2 pages already filled to the brim with "All companies lie therefore this is dumb." I'm out.

Yeah I hate that argument as well. Just because everyone else does something bad doesn't mean we should forgive everyone who does it.

Oh come the fuck on! What do you want from them? I would be really really happy about a 20% refund, especially since the card still performs exactly like the benchmarks (which I hope you based your purchase on) showed.

Same goes for you. Please explain how Nvidia "lied", because I don't get it. Be very specific when you explain it to me as well.

As for gameworks rigging, is there any proof of that? Last time I checked the only games people were using as examples of "herp derp Gameworks cripples AMD cards" were from Ubisoft and they ran really bad on Nvidia cards as well. I think it's far more reasonable to assume that Ubisoft just fucked up the game instead of assuming that Nvidia are so desperate to cripple AMD that they are willing to sacrifice their own performance to do so.

Not sure of which anti consumer BS you are speaking of. Please be specific when you tell me.

This is so incredibly stupid I don't know where to begin. This will benefit absolutely nobody, except maybe the lawyers. It won't help 970 owners since the performance of the card won't change. It won't help AMD or other Nvidia users either. In a BEST case scenario, everyone will get slightly worse GPUs (including AMD users) in the coming years because instead of developing new and better things, Nvidia will have to spend time and effort fighting a ridiculous legal battle. The stronger Nvidia is, the more AMD has to fight and push so this will be bad for AMD users as well.

Everyone who are cheering for this are so blinded by irrational hatred of Nvidia that they don't even realize this is bad news for them as well.

Usually I say things like "I don't disagree" because while I might not agree, I can't find a reason to disagree either. But this time, I'm saying I AGREE. You're bang on with your assessment on this situation. 

The lawyers are the ones who get to buy new supercars with the settlements these class actions MIGHT bring about. Consumers? You might get 15 dollars and a "sorry" note. In fact, the note wouldn't even say sorry. It'll be more PR approved nonsense designed to put the matter to rest. 

I also don't understand the Gameworks issue. Haven't there been games where Gameworks actually favoured AMD cards over Nvidia ones? Are people so blinded that they are sooner to blame Nvidia for offering these packages yet they don't blame the lazy developers who don't bother optimizing their addition? OF COURSE Gameworks will tend to favour Nvidia just like whatever AMD has favours them. Thats the basic premise. Theres nothing to stop developers from optimizing these add ons however or NOT USING THEM AT ALL. 

It takes two to tango. As evil as Nvidia is for having Gameworks, the developers are equally going to hell for accepting them. So much misplaced blame and rage with respect to this entire fiasco. 

Nothing will change when this is over. At best, Nvidia will have a reason to truly ensure any card that isn't a flagship tier is properly neutered. AMD as well. You're not getting your cards refunded (unless you hound CSR from your retailer or even the OEMs themselves). At best you get 20-25%. At worst, you get nothing but a strong lesson in "Do not trust ANY company who is trying to sell you something" 

Source - http://www.pcworld.com/article/2887234/nvidia-hit-with-false-advertising-suit-over-gtx-970-performance.html

This is kind of a big deal. Basically, they're being hit with a suit along with Gigabyte, though I don't see what they have to do with it. Not too suprising though. How do I feel? I don't know. I think it's a waste of time. Companies lie to you people. All of them. None of them are little innocent goody two shoes.

Well, Gigabyte (and all the board partners) is just as guilty as Nvidia is -- they must know how the card operates. 

/I have no desire to get into a 970 war atm....so I'm not saying anything about anything, all I'm saying is that if Nvidia is guilty then so should Gigabyte and every other board partner. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

my theory is that the idiot lawyer doesn't know any better and is also suing Gigabyte cause s/he thinks they have something to do with the 4/3.5 "GB"

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

Gameworks rigging thats very easy , the 770 and the 280x are equivalent on non rigged games right?

sc_blacklist_1600_900.gif

There you go.

As for nvidia lying I have explain this a thousand times , they said they were going to launch drivers to fix the issue and they retracted that statement.

Maybe consult a dictionary for a definition of the word.

Nvidia sent press specs to press which published them. The ROPs and Cache size were false. 

Nvidia claims this was an oversight. Doesn't matter. Still was posted in articles and press that advertised the cards and promoted them. That is false advertising.

Ram size could be argued (even though it is shady). False statements about specifications on the cards that was not true cannot. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Well for a start they didn't technically lie, so I'm not sure how anyone's expecting this to go down in court.

And even if by some sheer technological incompetence on the part of the courts (not outside the realms of possibility) Nvidia losing would just mean in a decade's time some people who have long since upgraded will be getting cheques for £2.50.

Gameworks rigging thats very easy , the 770 and the 280x are equivalent on non rigged games right?

sc_blacklist_1600_900.gif

There you go.

As for nvidia lying I have explain this a thousand times , they said they were going to launch drivers to fix the issue and they retracted that statement.

Maybe consult a dictionary for a definition of the word.

Oh wow, one example! How conclusive! /s

By the way, one representitve said that out of all people, and it wasn't even a chief of staff or someone high up. If anyone actually understood the issue (most people don't, they just like spewing shit), they would realize that a driver could never fix it.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

It annoys me when people say " the 970 still has 4 gb" it's like if I broke one of your legs forcing you to permantly walk with a limp and claiming " you still have 2 legs".

No it's more like removing your gallbladder.

Could it negatively impact your life?Yes, in fact more likely than not it will.

Is it possible to live your life without noticing the impact though?Yes.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

what you don't realize it seems that there is always someone else that will gladly take someone else's place...