NVIDIA have been hit with a class action suit over the GTX 970.

/thread. When you have press correct a miscommunication on two specifications on the card that you gave to press to sell a product? You miscommunicated. You can argue ram/bandwidth all you want, but in the end that is now what the lawyers will go after. Why would they bother. Nvidia flat out miscommunicated about ROPs/cache and gave that miscommuncation to press. That is called apologetics. Book em Danno. 

Fixed that for you.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

The G1 box literally states on the back in small text on the bottom middle, "the specifications and pictures are subject to change without notice."

That is what is going to save Gigabyte from being found at fault in a lawsuit. I do think that either all or none of the vendors need to be help accountable equally but with such a statement on the G1 box I would presume that it is on the boxes from other vendors as well for this very reason. I personally hope that Nvidia is found guilty in court and is required to pay a penalty. I understand I would be lucky to even see .001% of a penalty but that's not the point. Nvidia falsely advertised their cards and it wasn't for just a few days or a week this went on for months. I bought it because of the advertised 4gb and how it performed on benchmarks. 'Technically' there is 4gb of usable vram. They did falsely advertise the ROPs/cache however and that will probably be what loses this for them.

Smart of Gigabyte. :) 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Fixed that for you.

A "miscommunication" is not press releases of false specifications. Nvidia is responsible for those statements and provided specifications, and people bought products based on those statements. Just because you CLAIM to have "screwed up" doesn't mean you are not guilty of false advertising.

Nvidia claimed two false specifications on the GTX 970 that are not RAM. That is in addition to any statements made where they claimed bandwidth and it being a 4 Gig card which would also be false.

If Nvidia wants to blame a low level secretary, and claim stupidity on oversight they can. Doesn't matter. Being incompetent does not absolve guilt. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

ive realized that us nVidia customers are as blind as apple fanboys alot of the time. 

Speak for yourself, mate.

I just dont like the lying , the gameworks rigging and the anti consumer BS:

The Gameworks "rigging" has been debunked many times. Stop spouting that junk, lol.

Honestly I don't care if they lied or not, more power to the consumer. A class action suit isn't for compensating individual owners, it's so this crap is less likely to happen going forward.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

A "miscommunication" is not press releases of false specifications. Nvidia is responsible for those statements and provides specifications, and people bought products based on those statements. Just because you CLAIM to have "screwed up" doesn't mean you are not guilty of false advertising.

Nvidia claimed two false specifications on the GTX 970 that are not RAM. That is in addition to any statements made where they claimed bandwidth and it being a 4 Gig card which would also be false.

If Nvidia wants to blame a low level secretary, and claim stupidity on oversight they can. Doesn't matter. Being incompetent does not absolve guilt. 

And that's your opinion.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

The Gameworks "rigging" has been debunked many times. Stop spouting that junk, lol.

770 with about 15 more fps on a nvidi title then a 280x.

650 ti boost beating a 270x.

Whatever you say.

At least i have proof.

sc_blacklist_1600_900.gif

It was my understanding that Gameworks has various levels of licensing that a developer can acquire, as well as various levels of Nvidia intervention. At the basic end, all they do is send over engineers to help integrate what you were interested in. They don't need source code for a game to do that, thats crazy talk. 

Nvidia also offers developers the entire access for Gameworks. The source. If they want it, they can have it and they can do what they want to it so it can be more efficient or different or whatever; the developers have the final say. So when AMD cries about not having access to the source...thats not Nvidias problem. Thats the developers. Either they are out of time before launch or they've already tried and its as good as it could be for both sets of cards. 

I don't know about the second part of your post, but your first part is correct.

"GameWorks" is just a collection of premade effects from Nvidia. PhysX is one of the things in the GameWorks lirbarry, so you could technically say every single game which has PhysX is a GameWorks title.

Developers are free to use however many, or few of the premade effects they want as well, which is why we have games that for example only has PhysX and no other GameWorks effect.

It doesn't have the advertised speed of the VRam

Yes it does. Speeds on computer hardware is always advertised as the theoretical max speed.

They claimed something that turned out to be false.

Thus they lied.

Its not rocket science , they also mis represented the 970.

Another lie.

They didnt mention the slower portion of vram so thats a lie by omission.

That claim was never an official statement from Nvidia so it wasn't Nvidia that lied. Someone who works at nVidia gave out the wrong information. Giving out the wrong information is not always the same as lying by the way.

How did they misrepresent the 970?

You can never lie by omission little miss "consult a dictionary for a definition". A lie is always a statement with the intention to deceive. You can never lie by keeping silent.

Source - http://www.pcworld.com/article/2887234/nvidia-hit-with-false-advertising-suit-over-gtx-970-performance.html

This is kind of a big deal. Basically, they're being hit with a suit along with Gigabyte, though I don't see what they have to do with it. Not too suprising though. How do I feel? I don't know. I think it's a waste of time. Companies lie to you people. All of them. None of them are little innocent goody two shoes. Not to say that there's an excuse for lying. There isn't, but don't be suprised if they are lying to you.

Nvidia is going to win. Because the card DOES in fact have 4gb. The fact that 0.5 of that is 80% slower does not mean that the 4gb isnt there. And the 970 is still a great card. People are just being asshats and looking for a reason to complain and try to get their money and more back

i did, thats why i included my self as a nVidia customer. if you have been on this forum for a long time, havent you noticed it? 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Pretty sure this would benefit the lawyers more then the consumer.

Most class action suits do from what I can tell.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Like most people wrote here, all the companies lie and that isn't a secret, for instance i bought an SSD that said its 550mb/s read and 435mb/s write when in real time, the write was 70mb/s...So im off to sue Patriot. This is kind of an overkill, still in most countries the GTX 970 is far the best buy, even with that 3.5GB of ram it's so much overclockable, stable and uses less power. Hope they will get this cleared, to be honest i think it was not on purpose because if they knew about it, they must have know that this will come up and that it's going to  be a very bad thing for them as we can see right now.

770 with about 15 more fps on a nvidi title then a 280x.

650 ti boost beating a 270x.

Whatever you say.

At least i have proof.

-snip-

Where'd the benchmark come from? I'd like to see the other games they tested.

i did, thats why i included my self as a nVidia customer. if you have been on this forum for a long time, havent you noticed it? 

Yet your post sounded like you were implying Nvidia and Apple customers cannot think for themselves. Sorry.

Edited by Ghost
Harrasment.

Usually I say things like "I don't disagree" because while I might not agree, I can't find a reason to disagree either. But this time, I'm saying I AGREE. You're bang on with your assessment on this situation.

It's always so nice to see you agree with me.

If only you were right more often... ;)

TechPowerUp

Yet your post sounded like you were implying Nvidia and Apple customers cannot think for themselves. Sorry.

If you're not going to have a rational and objective debate, shut the fuck up. Thanks.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_270X/19.html

That was the only game the 270x lost heavily against the 660.

Gee I wonder why.

(Nvidia gameworks everywhere)

This has gone too far imo... The 970 despite the issue is still a good card and has more usable memory than even a previous gen 780 ti

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/R9_270X/19.html

That was the only game the 270x lost heavily against the 660.

I looked at the 770 one, and it sounds off to me. I have two 770's and Blacklist, so I'll disable one and see what happens in the game.

Gee I wonder why.

(Nvidia gameworks everywhere)

Don't make comments like that if you want to get your point across. That's dumb.

Yea I guess there is a case there but who is really that picky to sue them for that. It probably makes little to no difference in performance anyway. I meant the card is still an incredibly good card. I see the only people that are going to sue Nvidia are law firms that want to make a quick buck like prenda law.

It still is a great card, and there's no real reason to go after them in court.

But there is a case.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

This has gone too far imo... The 970 despite the issue is still a good card and has more usable memory than even a previous gen 780 ti

So true. People should just stop complaining. It still has 4GB.

So true. People should just stop complaining. It still has 4GB.

I wouldn't even take it that far! 3.5GB is still more than 3!

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

And that's your opinion.

That is an "opinion" based on fact and false Nvidia statements about their hardware. If you want a passionate argument on why people should not sue based on opinion? Listen to someone who does promotions for Nvidia, is sponsored by Nvidia or has advertising on their sites from Nvidia, and does not want to lose Nvidia previews on tech (which generate ad revenue), promotional deal revenue, direct ad revenue, vacations/trips/gifts to see things in closed events, free hardware to test and benchmark things.  You know...damn near the entire tech journalism industry. That is why I could care less what any of these people have to say, or care to hear an "opinion" that is nothing more than someone protecting their own interests and a business partner.

Now what I can also tell you is that there was communications of these "miscommunications" and these media outlets could also be sued. These media outlets would not withhold information that could vindicate them in that case. There are emails, documents with those specifications from Nvidia employees and that is why the media outlets posted the FALSE specifications on ROP's/Cache to begin with. 

Anyways have a nice day.  I see no rational reason, why anyone would protect a company that flat out lied to it's customers about multiple specifications on a product unless they stand to lose something and I really don't feel like arguing with someone who calls facts opinion. 

Nvidia lied about specifications. Press and opinion mean nothing in this matter. Lawyers see a bullet proof case and a landslide of money (for them). There WILL be lawsuits. They are simply inevitable. You are asking lawyers to turn down free money and customers who rightly feel slighted to bend over. Not going to happen.

I wouldn't even take it that far! 3.5GB is still more than 3!

Yeah, it's not like games really need more than that anyways. The 970 isn't even powerful enough to use more than 3.5.