Telus - Usage-based Internet charges for customers who exceed their monthly data allowance

krep

So it looks like Telus is going to give everyone the finger again in Canada im really glad i signed a 3 year contract....

http://www.telus.com/en/bc/get-help/account-and-billing/understand-your-bill/ffh/usage-based-internet-charges/support.do

In a release posted on their website, Telus says, starting on March 30th they will begin to charge customers for additional 50GB packets $5 for the first 50 up to a total of $75 

Telus customers can pay and extra $30 for an unlimited data plan now or $15 if you have Telus TV 

See below for the data caps

data-allowance.jpg?w=250&h=407

Meanwhile comcast has no limit as long as you're not doing suspicious stuffs.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

Actually, Comcast has data caps in certain cities as a "test". It's a bunch of bullcrap.

Actually, Comcast has data caps in certain cities as a "test". It's a bunch of bullcrap.

Currently, they don't knock on your door unless you are transferring terabytes of data a month. But that usually only happens if you're running a server, which isn't allowed. 

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

All the ISP's here have data caps. Telus is just saying that they used to not charge at over it and now are. Other ISP's have already been doing this.

I'm not one of those users who downloads much, so this doesn't affect me in the slightest. The fees of going over a bit isn't even that much.

I think the cap is an issue for people who can only afford the basic package all of a sudden you can actually download a game now because there goes your game. Also if you have netflix your totaly F$*#ed now as I think they say its 3GB and hour of watching everyones going to break their cap on the small plans and for $30 more I might as well upgrade to the serice instead of an unlimited cap.

I don't have cable/optik. Don't want it. I have netflix, and stream from CTV/CBC etc for things like HNIC. Almost ALL of the games I buy(many a month) are digital, and are massive, plus said games inevitable patches.  I'm on the "15" and there's no way 150GB a month is enough for that. I can't even get the "25" package where I am, so bumping up to the next tier is NOT an option, yet I'll still be paying for it with the same 15Mb line I have now? Where does this start to make sense to anyone but Telus?

My only other option is Shaw(cable[puke]), and NO THANK YOU TO 200KB/S AT PEAK TIME IF I'M LUCKY....

Why don't they just slow it down to 256kbps that's what they do in Australia it's technically unlimited but once u go past your quota they slow it down to 256kbps. Will they auto charge you if you go over or do they tell you if your reaching your limit and the service will terminate unless u pay more?

Why don't they just slow it down to 256kbps that's what they do in Australia it's technically unlimited but once u go past your quota they slow it down to 256kbps. Will they auto charge you if you go over or do they tell you if your reaching your limit and the service will terminate unless u pay more?

The amount of service calls they would get from customers would be the main reason they wouldn't do that. I would be one of them. Don't throttle a line I'm paying for. Period. Our service is terrible enough as it is across the board compared to other countries, so making it even slower will just anger more of the user base. It's easier to just charge more..

Abandon the large telecoms.

There are other smaller ISP's with with much better packages/deals.

http://www.canadianisp.ca/

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Abandon the large telecoms.

There are other smaller ISP's with with much better packages/deals.

http://www.canadianisp.ca/

That is very interesting. Thank you. However, I will still be limted 15Mb connection as thats the best Telus has in the area, and you can't get away from that, they own all the hardware..

That is very interesting. Thank you. However, I will still be limted 15Mb connection as thats the best Telus has in the area, and you can't get away from that, they own all the hardware..

The smaller ISP's buy bandwidth at wholesale, even though telus may only offer "15Mb" max to your area a different ISP running on the same infrastructure may be able to offer more. I'd recommend reaching out and contacting some of the ISP's that can provide service to your area.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

fucking telus

they have increased my internet bill twice in the last 12 months.  This is just another cash grab since it's quite easy to go over the cap.

The smaller ISP's buy bandwidth at wholesale, even though telus may only offer "15Mb" max to your area a different ISP running on the same infrastructure may be able to offer more. I'd recommend reaching out and contacting some of the ISP's that can provide service to your area.

Way ahead of you, I checked a few of the more popular ones, and all of them only offer 15Mb, as limited by the hardware in my area. I'd live a 50/10, but my area just doesn't have that kind of residential access.

No if telus could give him more they would. I'm assuming he is on DSL since his speed is pretty terrible. Copper can only be so fast, they can upgrade to fttn but I doubt they wpuld unless there doing a full infrastructure overhaul that is assuming they own the copper.

Atleast they have better upload then Shaw does.

Shaw's internet is good but their upload is completely terrible ranging at 3mbps up on a 80 DOLLAR PLAN.

I'd still switch to Telus any day for that reason. All the big ISP have Monthly limits why is this surprising when telus makes a post about it? 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Another concern is the providers are exempting their in-house video streaming services from the data caps (Shomi, Crave) while charging full usage against YouTube and Netflix for example. its pretty much opposite of what the CRTC said they were allowed to due in the last ruling. They are not throttling netflix but they are circumventing the ruling by basically say you can use our service as much as you want but sorry if you want to use netflix you better pay more to not go over your cap.

Its grabage and the government isn't going to jack about it. Really wish Telus wasn't the only provider were i live.

Sigh...guess we're gonna be spending an extra 15 bucks a month to get that unlimited data seeing as we already use double our cap....

You don't need data limits if you throttle heavy hitters. They will switch everyone to data plans if they're reclassified as title II

-------

Current Rig

-------

Copper can only be so fast

You and your gimmicks :D ... while im running on copper at 1gb up/down

You and your gimmicks :D ... while im running on copper at 1gb up/down

Impossible without FTTN.....

Impossible without FTTN.....

maybe but 10 years ago there weren't any fiber optic cables and i was still running at 100mb up/down

maybe but 10 years ago there weren't any fiber optic cables and i was still running at 100mb up/down

Fiber has been around waaaaaaay over 10 years it was first invented in the early - mid 1800s. Still impossible to get 100mbps unless your using HFC which is basically FTTN just using tv cable for the last little bit instead of phone lines.

Fiber has been around waaaaaaay over 10 years it was first invented in the early - mid 1800s. Still impossible to get 100mbps unless your using HFC which is basically FTTN just using tv cable for the last little bit instead of phone lines.

i was using cat3 cables all the way to the 5th floor from the router in the apartment building basement , that is 140 meters of cable