CIFS, FTP or iSCSI

Speedbird

Hello.

I'm going to set up a NAS with Windows Server 2012 R2. I have narrowed my file sharing protocol selection down to 3: CIFS (SMB), FTP or iSCSI. I'm not sure which one of these 3 to choose. CIFS has good support on Windows, FTP has ok support on all platforms, and I have no experience with iSCSI but would like to try it. What do you guys suggest?

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Hmm.. I have some good experiences with  SMB.. And FTP is pretty good too..

I would say FTP

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

If you are a windows guy (and i guess you are, if you going to build a Windows-Server), you should go with SMB. It works just really well on Windows.

ISCSI is awesome for storing VMs and Programs on the Nas, but not for file-sharing.

Ryzen 5 5600, 32GB DDR4, GTX 3070Ti, Acer Predator x34

InWin 901

• 8 months later...

iSCSI is the fastest (only SLIGHTLY) because it is block level storage (your computer sees the network drive as a physical drive in the computer), but if your local network goes down, you can lose data (thats why its only really used in an enterprise environment). 

SMB will work perfectly for file storage and has support across Windows, Mac, and Linux.

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

Before any of us can offer any useful information, you need to let us know more about the environment.

Hello.

I'm going to set up a NAS with Windows Server 2012 R2. I have narrowed my file sharing protocol selection down to 3: CIFS (SMB), FTP or iSCSI. I'm not sure which one of these 3 to choose. CIFS has good support on Windows, FTP has ok support on all platforms, and I have no experience with iSCSI but would like to try it. What do you guys suggest?

iSCSI is the fastest (only SLIGHTLY) because it is block level storage (your computer sees the network drive as a physical drive in the computer), but if your local network goes down, you can lose data (thats why its only really used in an enterprise environment). 

SMB will work perfectly for file storage and has support across Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Before any of us can offer any useful information, you need to let us know more about the environment.

This post is 9 months old, guys.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

That doesn't mean you didn't still need help, especially since you never updated the thread to mention you had decided on a solution.  :)

This post is 9 months old, guys.