144Hz monitor for League of Legends= SO WORTH.

ryjanpugz
Go to solution Solved by Scouten,

The placebo is strong with this one.

;)

Glad you can rationalize in your own way spending that much for something which honestly i can barely see a difference on. (not trying to bum out your buy, i just have a hard time personally telling the difference between a 144 and standard 60hz frame, so for someone like me I can't come to bear with a price premium like that.)

disregarding that mass of caps in the first post when it comes to higher refresh rates you need to know what to look for. in essence you get a smoother overall image pans, tilts rotations you wont experience the jagged motion that we have all gotten used to with 60 and lower refresh rates. once you actually look at where the higher refresh rate helps its easier to see.

like take watching a 24/23.976 fps video and watch it pan from left to right you will notice a slight stutter. this stutter comes from a 3:2 pulldown  but when you take a refresh rate that can be equally divisible of 24 such as 120 or 144 you will get an smoother overall transition  60/24 =2.5,  120/24 = 5, 144/24 = 6

I decided to make this thread because while there are a lot of posts that say  buying a 144Hz monitor is good for FPS games, I didn't really find a lot of posts about buying one for MOBA games. I hope this post will help MOBA players that are on the fence about buying a 144Hz monitor make their decision.

So I recently took the plunge and bought a 144Hz monitor.I bought the BenQ XL2411Z. I was very apprehensive at first because I never really played FPS games(Except Battlefield 4.I mostly play League of Legends and mmorpgs) but after weeks of thinking about whether to buy one or not, (it was literally driving me crazy) I decided to just get the damn thing. 

HOLY SHIT I main support Blitzcrank and the 144Hz REALLY REALLY helped me land my pulls. I was amazed at how much easier it was to hit my skill-shots. It almost felt like I wasn't even trying. On top of that, I was playing with some friends that were in Diamond and Plat (I'm in Silver), and I was outclassing supports that were ranked much higher than me. Now, I'm not saying that getting one will boost your game by 999999999999999999%, but IT DOES HELP quite a bit, especially if you often use champs that use skillshots.

In conclusion, If you're a MOBA player that has money to spend on a 144Hz monitor, and if your pc can actually run the game at a constant 100+ fps, I could definitely say that getting a 144Hz monitor is WORTH IT.

Note: 

BIG thanks to all the people on this forum that helped me decide whether to get a 144Hz monitor. Definitely one of the best upgrades I've ever gotten. 

;)

Glad you can rationalize in your own way spending that much for something which honestly i can barely see a difference on. (not trying to bum out your buy, i just have a hard time personally telling the difference between a 144 and standard 60hz frame, so for someone like me I can't come to bear with a price premium like that.)

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

May you slay many warriors in Asgard, mein frund (<-- I don't know anything about LoL, lol). Glad you're enjoying 144Hz. 

Bert & Ernie before squirting spermie. 

I tried CS:GO on my friends 144hz monitor. It's so much easier! I got kicked for "hacking" haha :D

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

;)

Hi there. That was actually one of my biggest fears when I was trying decide on whether to buy one or not.

But, one day as I was visiting my one of my friends, I started playing on his PC. I noticed that it felt so much smoother and my timing was actually better than before. I asked him why it felt so much smoother gaming on his system versus gaming on mine(we both had really good rigs) and he told me he had a 144Hz monitor. The fact that he had a 144Hz monitor didn't even cross my mind until he pointed it out, but I could definitely see the difference. 

That's actually pushed me into buying one. When I started playing on his PC, I wasn't looking for differences in smoothness or refresh rates. I literally just sat down, started playing, and just happened to notice that the gaming experienced was way smoother than mine.

;)

disregarding that mass of caps in the first post when it comes to higher refresh rates you need to know what to look for. in essence you get a smoother overall image pans, tilts rotations you wont experience the jagged motion that we have all gotten used to with 60 and lower refresh rates. once you actually look at where the higher refresh rate helps its easier to see.

like take watching a 24/23.976 fps video and watch it pan from left to right you will notice a slight stutter. this stutter comes from a 3:2 pulldown  but when you take a refresh rate that can be equally divisible of 24 such as 120 or 144 you will get an smoother overall transition  60/24 =2.5,  120/24 = 5, 144/24 = 6

like take watching a 24/23.976 fps video and watch it pan from left to right you will notice a slight stutter. this stutter comes from a 3:2 pulldown  but when you take a refresh rate that can be equally divisible of 24 such as 120 or 144 you will get a smoother overall transition  60/24 =2.5,  120/24 = 5, 144/24 = 6

I think I read somewhere that while the human eye cannot see individual images/frames after 60fps, we can notice a difference. Maybe that's it? At first, I couldn't really point out what made it a smoother gaming experience, but the things you pointed out definitely hit the spot.

Hi there. That was actually one of my biggest fears when I was trying decide on whether to buy one or not.

But, one day as I was visiting my one of my friends, I started playing on his PC. I noticed that it felt so much smoother and my timing was actually better than before. I asked him why it felt so much smoother gaming on his system versus gaming on mine(we both had really good rigs) and he told me he had a 144Hz monitor. The fact that he had a 144Hz monitor didn't even cross my mind until he pointed it out, but I could definitely see the difference. 

Then yer one of the majority xD I've had eye issues for a long time, which definitely hasn't helped my competitive dota career... I can, to a degree see a difference between 60 and 144hz, but it's so minute, so small that i can't justify buying one personally. I hear great things about em, but just can't see em xD

like take watching a 24/23.976 fps video and watch it pan from left to right you will notice a slight stutter. this stutter comes from a 3:2 pulldown  but when you take a refresh rate that can be equally divisible of 24 such as 120 or 144 you will get a smoother overall transition  60/24 =2.5,  120/24 = 5, 144/24 = 6

Trust me, I know the difference, and the math behind it. I used one for a short time working with a local graphics studio but was unable to see much of a difference. 

I'm a gamer first nowadays, and an artist second, but when it came time to get a monitor I saw more difference in the pro art 30bit panel than the 144hz panel. Contrary to what most gamers would have done, i opted for the panel I could see the most difference in. Sure, I only really use that extra depth in things like photoshop, and adobes suit of programs, as well as vegas, and a couple others, but if that helps to put it into perspective then you get the idea.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Me to man I thought that 144hz wouldn't be good for lol but apparently u say it is so I'll go with it just a question though with the bend xl2411z does the little extra piece of plastic that is on the bottom right corner bug u cause when I look at it it looks like it does

Interesting xD I didn't see much of a difference in my own play, but then again I'm a bit of a noob :)

Im offended by this slanderous comment of Glenwing and demand an immediate retraction of such falsehood!

Ye, you will ALWAYS get some stutters on video content. No matter how high your max refresh is.

Because of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate#Digital_video_and_television

There is barely any video content out there that is EXACTLY 30fps, or 24fps.

Luckily freesync promises to totally fix this. They say freesync will make the panel refresh exactly sync up with the video content on fullscreening. Yes, even 29.97 and framerates like that. Well have to wait and see i guess.

Ye, you will ALWAYS get some stutters on video content. No matter how high your max refresh is.

Because of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate#Digital_video_and_television

There is barely any video content out there that is EXACTLY 30fps, or 24fps.

Luckily freesync promises to totally fix this. They say freesync will make the panel refresh exactly sync up with the video content on fullscreening. Yes, even 29.97 and framerates like that. Well have to wait and see i guess.

it wont from what i have seen freesync seems to fail under 25-30 frames(similar to gsync its all based on the same spec after all). enabling ULMB actually helps heaps more than just having a high refresh rate when you get down to those lower frames.

there are too many variables to completely get rid of stuttering obviously how the files was encoded, was it re-encoded, is it corrupted, whats its bit rate ETC

it wont from what i have seen freesync seems to fail under 25-30 frames(similar to gsync its all based on the same spec after all). enabling ULMB actually helps heaps more than just having a high refresh rate when you get down to those lower frames.

there are too many variables to completely get rid of stuttering obviously how the files was encoded, was it re-encoded, is it corrupted, whats its bit rate ETC

Sorry, but no one who knows what ULMB is would suggest it for low framerates.

If you are really interested please see this page:

http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost-faq/

Yes, you are right, both freesync and gsync wont go lower than 40hz on IPS and 30hz on TN. (probably 0hz on OLED, but whatever)

Yet AMD promised to completely eliminate video content judder by syncing it up to panel refresh exactly. Maybe they are going to exactly double the refresh for low framerate content like 23.97 fps video? I dont know, but this is mighty interesting and i will look for tests once freesync is in the hands of reviewers.

Sorry, but no one who knows what ULMB is would suggest it for low framerates.

If you are really interested please see this page:

http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost-faq/

Yes, you are right, both freesync and gsync wont go lower than 40hz on IPS and 30hz on TN. (probably 0hz on OLED, but whatever)

Yet AMD promised to completely eliminate video content judder by syncing it up to panel refresh exactly. Maybe they are going to exactly double the refresh for low framerate content like 23.97 fps video? I dont know, but this is mighty interesting and i will look for tests once freesync is in the hands of reviewers.

as someone who ACTUALLY owns an ULMB capable panel you will notice a reduction in blur caused by motion at lower framerates its clearly not as significant as at higher frame rates but it will give you a cleaner transition you will notice more imperfections in the video though that is obvious

"Yes, LightBoost motion can make stutters and tearing easier to see, especially at lower framerates. (Regular LCD motion blur actually helps to hide small stutters and tearing)."

to quote the article

a sweeping pan that is blurry looks worse than one that has a few judders but that gets into the preference category

as someone who ACTUALLY owns an ULMB capable panel you will notice a reduction in blur caused by motion at lower framerates its clearly not as significant as at higher frame rates but it will give you a cleaner transition you will notice more imperfections in the video though that is obvious

"Yes, LightBoost motion can make stutters and tearing easier to see, especially at lower framerates. (Regular LCD motion blur actually helps to hide small stutters and tearing)."

to quote the article

a sweeping pan that is blurry looks worse than one that has a few judders but that gets into the preference category

While you might be totally numbed out to flicker, it is a problem for most people. Even those who claim not to see it, still find themselves more uncomfortable if the screen flickers.

Strobing IS flicker by nature. And below 85hz its not recommended to use strobing. There is a reason why you will never see a 60hz strobed panel.

Yes, you probably have strobing enabled @ 120hz, and you see blur reduction even if the fps is very low, but you get to enjoy stutters and tearing even more - its beyond me how much people prefer a prettier picture and keep sacrificing motion. Its your choice of course.

But i suspect that most people would prefer a smooth movie playback with perfectly synced up framerate=hz.

And obviously noone in their right mind would try to flicker 24fps/hz movie. Even people who have convinced themselves to be immune to flicker, like you, would just burn out their eyes.

Pft moba.. 30fps nuff.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Me to man I thought that 144hz wouldn't be good for lol but apparently u say it is so I'll go with it just a question though with the bend xl2411z does the little extra piece of plastic that is on the bottom right corner bug u cause when I look at it it looks like it does

nah, it doesn't bother me at all.

Interesting xD I didn't see much of a difference in my own play, but then again I'm a bit of a noob :)

well, my play certainly improved a bit, but my main reason for buying the monitor wasn't really to get a competitive edge. I really just wanted smoother gaming experience :P