Microsoft Is taking trade-ins for old surface

bry.yyyy

source : http://www.pcworld.com/article/2884626/got-an-old-surface-microsofts-taking-trade-ins.html

Sure, an old first-generation Microsoft Surface works fine as a Netflix tablet. But if you want to trade it in for a new Surface Pro 3, now's your chance.

From February 15 through March 8, CEXchange is hosting a trade-in site where customers can send back their Surface tablets and receive credit toward a new Surface Pro 3. If the site considers the Surface to be in good working condition, customers will receive credits that must be redeemed by April 8. However, they can only be applied to one Surface Pro 3, Microsoft said.

Why this matters:  Microsoft's Surface lineup is essentially down to a single model, as the Surface Pro 3 has replaced the previous Surface Pro models, and Microsoft has stopped manufacturing the Surface 2. That doesn't mean the Surface lineup is struggling; on the contrary, Microsoft sold a billion dollars' worth of its Windows tablet last quarter. Still, the site is just more evidence that Microsoft is ditching its older hardware and doubling down on its latest model. It's always good to own the products a company feels the most strongly about.

A sign of Surfaces to come?

Microsoft is also expected to replace its Surface Pro 3 tablet eventually with a newer model based on the Intel Core M and Windows 10. Microsoft hasn't confirmed this, however, and two scenarios seem plausible: Either Microsoft releases a Core M, Windows 10 beta-powered Surface Pro 4 around its April BUILD conference; or else it waits until fall, launching the final version of Windows 10 on what would be Intel's "Skylake" processor.

Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 tablet.

(Note: Microsoft representatives haven't yet responded to our email asking them to confirm the site's legitimacy. Until they do, it might be best simply to price out your options.)

Until then, however, users can see how quickly the value of their old Surface has depreciated.

"To be eligible for trade-in, product must power on, battery must hold charge and not be required to be plugged in to operate, and be in fully functional, working condition without broken/missing components, cracked display/housing, liquid damage, modification(s) or have device warranty seal broken to be considered working," Microsoft and CEXchange say. "[The tablet] cannot be password protected, and include original chargers/accessories. Any appraised value will be determined at trade-in and provided as a Microsoft online store redemption code and is valid online only."

So how much do you get? Microsoft will pay a small amount for an accessory, like a charger or Type Cover. In general, however, here's what they're worth:

• The cheapest Surface RT (32 GB) will be worth $84;
  • The Surface Pro (64GB) is worth $122;
  • The Surface 2 (32 GB) is worth $105;
  • The Surface 2 (Wi-Fi + 4G) is worth $114;
  • The Surface Pro 2 (64 GB) is worth $189;
  • and a Core i3-based Surface Pro 3 (64GB) is worth $499 in credit toward a more expensive version.

Note that Microsoft will also bump up the trade-in value for models with more storage, such as the Surface Pro 2 (128GB), which is worth $221.

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

never have surface i always prefer macbook air then surface 

is it a good tablet ?

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

lolbry9, on 18 Feb 2015 - 06:34 AM, said:

is it a good tablet ?

It's great for a student

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

is it a good tablet ?

8.1 Metro actually works/has a purpose on the tablet - but icons are difficult to "click" and using a non-mobile web browser makes things a bit difficult when trying to hit refresh, file menu etc.

Other than that the stand is a thing of genius, and the new keyboards are good, because they have actual buttons. The first keyboard sucked. 

If I could achieve enlightenment on the potential uses for a tablet that - I'd buy one.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

The Surface Pro line is truly amazing.

However, if you can live with a bit less portability, and you don't care about the pen, then get any ultrabook. You'll get better value and more inputs.

The keyboard is truly amazing. Despite being small, immediately you think "oh, it's going to be like those old netbooks keyboard". Well no. First of all, the key size are near the same as a normal keyboard, making it easy to adapt. And also, you resistance and travel distance is like normal good keyboard, despite it's thinnest.

The system is also powerful for its size. Things are fast and fluid. You can do programming just fine on it. You can also game (well... you have to consider the Intel integrated graphics limitation, but the system won't crash or overheat). Temperature are under control, and fan RARELY spins. The most you'll get is a warm system to the touch. The performance (if we ignore the Core i3 model) beats many ultrabooks. Microsoft was able to achieve all this by using good high-quality fans, good thermal paste, and very good heatsink solution. No cheapening out here.

From the power button "click" sound, to your desktop fully loaded, takes 6sec from last shutdown.

If you need power on the go, this is the system to get. Sure it is no Razer Blade laptop by a long shot, but it is considerably thin, light, and small, and doesn't run on some Atom chip. And like I said, beats the performance of most ultrabook of similar range, especially when the device was release.

Out of the box the system comes junk free, and super clean. I mean, like Apple, you don't even have control panels for your drivers. You have JUST the drivers. All to keep everything, well junk free. No startup programs, no nothing. All done to give you the best Windows experience.

Display is an IPS panel, as you would expect, with no image retention problem or ghosting or poor colors. As you would expect from any decent IPS panels. High resolution as you can see from the specs.

It does only have 1 USB port which can be seen as a downside. I thought it would be a problem before purchasing mine, but it ended up not being one. If you have a good home wireless network, you can just access your files better and faster than with transferring everything via USB flash drive. And with OneNote integration with Windows 8, your files are in sync between your systems and devices, even your Windows 8 account, turning your Surface Pro as a real extension of your desktop system. And with the charging only USB port on the power adapter, you can charge a device that way. When I use the USB port, most of the time, it is for a mouse. I don't use a mouse in class, track pad + touch screen is fine, but I do if I plan to work for hours for greater comfort. Rarely I needed to use both. And when I do, it's only for a moment for me to transfer data. The touchpad is fine. Of course, a second USB port would be better, don't get me wrong, but it is not the end of the world. With the new Intel CPU having more component integrated, maybe it will free up some space for a second USB port on the Surface Pro 4.

The pen is amazing, and this is what makes the device. The pen is not like any iPad pens. This is the real deal. Thin point, much like a normal pen. It can detect when the pen is hovering over the screen, has palm rejection, and pressure sensitivity tracking on the pen itself. It works with the latest version of PhotoShop, as well as many drawing apps (and cover even more if you install the WinTab drivers, although this is becoming less and less of a need, as more and more pro drawing applications supports Windows Ink APIs). The highlight of the pen is however, note taking, with OneNote. OneNote is simply the best note taking software out there, complete with sync ability between your devices and systems (thanks to OneDrive integration). You can type your notes in class, for example, and easily pull out the pen and draw that graph, or diagram, or math equation (even has a very good Ink to Math feature, turning even complex equations writhing by the pen, into text form). Allowing you to keep you going in your note taking, and not fight with your system.

Build quality and attention to details. Build quality is impressive. It is a solid device, and will survive (experienced it), dropping the device on solid floor (concrete in my case) even on the corner. In my case, the screen didn't crack. I just have a dent and the paint chip off a bit where it got hit. The rest is fine, and continues to be fine, with no sign of anything wrong. It was over 6 months ago the event happened. Microsoft have accidental damage protection included in its extended warranty of 2 year, which is very nice. Only 150$ to get it. Worth the money in my opinion, especially if you don't get so lucky and the screen does shatter. My only complaint with the device is that you can't be totally care free. This is mostly due to the fact that the device is painted. The body is in magnesium, and like all magnesium construct systems, it is painted. I am no experts, obviously, but I never seen magnesium alloy construct dyed. My guess is that it can't be done or the results aren't good. The Surface Pro 3 color is matching closely the magnesium color so scratches wont' really show, but you have to be careful. Basically, when you put it on the table, put it on the side of the cover, not the metal body, and use a soft interior sleeve when carrying it around in your bag, and you'll be good.

Attention to details is there, to the max, like Apple. Connector ports are cut exact shape and size of the connector, and the connector interior is dyed making it "invisible" look, much like Apple systems (this is something I wish desktop cases would do. I find it very ugly that you have this case case, and then on the USB ports, you can see the metal casing of the connector as they cut the hole too big, and didn't bother making the connector body black, making it visible like a soar thumb. Anyway, one day maybe.

Would highly recommend if you are student, or artists that you want to sketch on the go, or anyone that would beenfit a lot from the pen.

The Surface Pro line is truly amazing.

However, if you can live with a bit less portability, and you don't care about the pen, then get any ultrabook. You'll get better value and more inputs.

The keyboard is truly amazing. Despite being small, immediately you think "oh, it's going to be like those old netbooks keyboard". Well no. First of all, the key size are near the same as a normal keyboard, making it easy to adapt. And also, you resistance and travel distance is like normal good keyboard, despite it's thinnest.

The system is also powerful for its size. Things are fast and fluid. You can do programming just fine on it. You can also game (well... you have to consider the Intel integrated graphics limitation, but the system won't crash or overheat). Temperature are under control, and fan RARELY spins. The most you'll get is a warm system to the touch. The performance (if we ignore the Core i3 model) beats many ultrabooks. Microsoft was able to achieve all this by using good high-quality fans, good thermal paste, and very good heatsink solution. No cheapening out here.

From the power button "click" sound, to your desktop fully loaded, takes 6sec from last shutdown.

If you need power on the go, this is the system to get. Sure it is no Razer Blade laptop by a long shot, but it is considerably thin, light, and small, and doesn't run on some Atom chip. And like I said, beats the performance of most ultrabook of similar range, especially when the device was release.

Out of the box the system comes junk free, and super clean. I mean, like Apple, you don't even have control panels for your drivers. You have JUST the drivers. All to keep everything, well junk free. No startup programs, no nothing. All done to give you the best Windows experience.

Display is an IPS panel, as you would expect, with no image retention problem or ghosting or poor colors. As you would expect from any decent IPS panels. High resolution as you can see from the specs.

It does only have 1 USB port which can be seen as a downside. I thought it would be a problem before purchasing mine, but it ended up not being one. If you have a good home wireless network, you can just access your files better and faster than with transferring everything via USB flash drive. And with OneNote integration with Windows 8, your files are in sync between your systems and devices, even your Windows 8 account, turning your Surface Pro as a real extension of your desktop system. And with the charging only USB port on the power adapter, you can charge a device that way. When I use the USB port, most of the time, it is for a mouse. I don't use a mouse in class, track pad + touch screen is fine, but I do if I plan to work for hours for greater comfort. Rarely I needed to use both. And when I do, it's only for a moment for me to transfer data. The touchpad is fine. Of course, a second USB port would be better, don't get me wrong, but it is not the end of the world. With the new Intel CPU having more component integrated, maybe it will free up some space for a second USB port on the Surface Pro 4.

The pen is amazing, and this is what makes the device. The pen is not like any iPad pens. This is the real deal. Thin point, much like a normal pen. It can detect when the pen is hovering over the screen, has palm rejection, and pressure sensitivity tracking on the pen itself. It works with the latest version of PhotoShop, as well as many drawing apps (and cover even more if you install the WinTab drivers, although this is becoming less and less of a need, as more and more pro drawing applications supports Windows Ink APIs). The highlight of the pen is however, note taking, with OneNote. OneNote is simply the best note taking software out there, complete with sync ability between your devices and systems (thanks to OneDrive integration). You can type your notes in class, for example, and easily pull out the pen and draw that graph, or diagram, or math equation (even has a very good Ink to Math feature, turning even complex equations writhing by the pen, into text form). Allowing you to keep you going in your note taking, and not fight with your system.

Build quality and attention to details. Build quality is impressive. It is a solid device, and will survive (experienced it), dropping the device on solid floor (concrete in my case) even on the corner. In my case, the screen didn't crack. I just have a dent and the paint chip off a bit where it got hit. The rest is fine, and continues to be fine, with no sign of anything wrong. It was over 6 months ago the event happened. Microsoft have accidental damage protection included in its extended warranty of 2 year, which is very nice. Only 150$ to get it. Worth the money in my opinion, especially if you don't get so lucky and the screen does shatter. My only complaint with the device is that you can't be totally care free. This is mostly due to the fact that the device is painted. The body is in magnesium, and like all magnesium construct systems, it is painted. I am no experts, obviously, but I never seen magnesium alloy construct dyed. My guess is that it can't be done or the results aren't good. The Surface Pro 3 color is matching closely the magnesium color so scratches wont' really show, but you have to be careful. Basically, when you put it on the table, put it on the side of the cover, not the metal body, and use a soft interior sleeve when carrying it around in your bag, and you'll be good.

Attention to details is there, to the max, like Apple. Connector ports are cut exact shape and size of the connector, and the connector interior is dyed making it "invisible" look, much like Apple systems (this is something I wish desktop cases would do. I find it very ugly that you have this case case, and then on the USB ports, you can see the metal casing of the connector as they cut the hole too big, and didn't bother making the connector body black, making it visible like a soar thumb. Anyway, one day maybe.

this explain so much thx

BUT Microsoft indonesia never bring surface too indonesia :(

I Still using my MBP Mid 2009 maybe when surface out on indonesia i buy 

Current Build + Setup

this explain so much thx

BUT Microsoft indonesia never bring surface too indonesia :(

I Still using my MBP Mid 2009 maybe when surface out on indonesia i buy

Sorry to hear. Hopefully the Surface Pro 4 will be released there.

The Surface Pro 4 is expected soon, that is why you have the offer you posted. You'll soon get 100$ or more off on each device and bundle offers. By about June, a year after the Pro 3 was release, expect the Pro 4 to be announced, which should be after Windows 10 is expected to be released.

Sorry to hear. Hopefully the Surface Pro 4 will be released there.

The Surface Pro 4 is expected soon, that is why you have the offer you posted. You'll soon get 100$ or more off on each device and bundle offers. By about June, a year after the Pro 3 was release, expect the Pro 4 to be announced, which should be after Windows 10 is expected to be released.

yeah hope microsoft release it for indonesia :D

Current Build + Setup

Wonder if they'll offer trade in for SP3 once the SP4 comes out :), I have to send my current one out for replacement due to touchscreen issues.

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

You wish. Probably at the end of the life of the Pro 4, much like now with the Pro 3.

HOOK ME UP MA MICROSOFT DAWGS!

I want to make surfaces into skateboarrdddss!

YAYA

surface-skateboard.jpg

You wish. Probably at the end of the life of the Pro 4, much like now with the Pro 3.

:D We shall wait and see.

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

I love to have a surface pro tablet, but microsoft indonesia didn't sell it.

Btw OP, is there any group of Indonesian LTT fans?