Why are people still using SMS in 2015?

Rohith_Kumar_Sp

Short Message Service (SMS), more colloquially known as ‘text,’ is a protocol used for sending short messages over mobile networks. The first SMS was sent in 1992; By 2010, SMS was the most widely used data application, adopted by 80 percent of mobile subscribers.

Then, came the rise of the smartphone.

Smartphones paved the way for consumers to communicate through a variety of outlets – from email and instant messaging to over-the-top content messaging apps.

However, despite the growth in other communication channels, SMS is still widely in use and remains one of the primary channels of communication. Why? Here are four crucial reasons.

SMS is the most effective way to reach users, with a 90 percent read rate in minutes

When it comes to timeliness of delivery, SMS maintains the highest engagement rate in comparison to emails and OTT apps.

SMS is available as long as you have a mobile phone and service plan. This makes its global reach soar as there are no pre-existing connections required, such as accepting friend requests or requiring two parties to download the same app.

The lower barriers to communication let users receive messages quickly, making it ideal for sending short, time-sensitive content.

SMS is a one- size- fits- all solution which makes anybody (with a mobile number) reachable

The technology for sending and receiving SMS is not reliant on high speed internet, essentially making anyone in modern society reachable.

Mobile-Messaging-Apps-General-730x337.jp

Over-the-top messaging apps such as WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Viber and WeChat function only while connected to the Web. Different apps also have require different hardware and software compatibilities, weeding out users with feature phones or smartphones that the OTT app doesn’t support.

For instance, not all OTT messaging apps are available on Firefox OS, Windows, Blackberry or legacy versions of iOS and Android.

In contrast, a user does not need to be connected to the Web or have membership to the same app to receive an SMS.

Disruptions in the A2P sector make a global telecom network more accessible

SMS can be classified into person-to-person (P2P) SMS, where two mobile subscribers exchange messages.

Application-to-person (A2P) SMS, on the other hand, allows an app to deliver messages to a mobile subscriber. Typical use cases for A2P SMS include payment confirmations, appointment reminders, account updates from banks, mobile ticketing, flight updates, etc.

The issue with traditional A2P SMS is that the process is clunky and can be expensive for companies to deploy. Traditional methods require a company to liaise with a variety of middlemen – such as SMS aggregators, gateway providers, marketers and resellers – before gaining access to the SMS inventory of the various network operators.

Today, a new breed of cloud communication platforms utilizes easily-deployable technologies to increase quality of message deliverability. They also combine a pay-per-use cost model of cloud services with simple telephony Application Program Interface (API) tools to make it easy for developers to integrate into their applications while maintaining low operational cost.

In effect, this bypasses the need for the middlemen. In accessing the global telecom network directly, companies gain faster delivery times and better reliability of service.

This makes A2P SMS accessible to more companies – especially startups – and application developers who were previously limited by lack of human and financial resources required by the traditional route.

Growth of two factor authentication and security via SMS

google-2fa.png

With the proliferation of mobile devices, more personal data are transferred over the Web than ever before. To add a layer of security, two-factor authentication has become the go-to method for companies to protect its users.

Using SMS as an authentication method has been rising in popularity, as a user almost always has a mobile device on them at any given time. The cost of sending an SMS is also very low, while its ease over voice call for 2FA makes SMS more ideal for today’s fast-paced society.

Companies using SMS as a step in two-factor authentication (if activated) include Google, Apple, Facebook, Twitter, Dropbox, PayPal and LinkedIn.

Today, SMS may be viewed as antiquated technology – but the reality is it that SMS plays a key role in connecting most modern technologies. From its high user engagement rate and 2FA benefits, to its disruption in the A2P sector, we won’t see SMS disappear anytime soon.

Source : 
http://thenextweb.com/future-of-communications/2015/02/16/people-still-using-sms-2015/

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I sometimes use SMS still, because I don't have 3G.

It would also be an effective way to reach people.

I don't use any 2step verifications via SMS. I use the app for Google and email for Steam and some more stuff via email

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Antiquated tech? The only thing that is antiquated about it are the price points. Even in the 90's operators needed to talk in thousands of messages to be able to assign any cost to the service, making 97% ISP margin nothing in comparison.

We may consider it antiquated in the situation where we have unlimited mobile data with coverage similar to GSM and then some standard messaging app available on all of the phones.

Simple, because 4G still isn't everywhere, hell, even mobile network at all is missing in some places I pass through yearly, and it costs more to keep my phone connected to one 24/7 than the total amount of SMS I send.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Some people use Text as Data for some people is expensive and isn't really a necessity but a luxury. Even tho theres wifi almost everywhere... If you're in the city atleast.

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

To respond to title:

As someone who travels globally, SMS is often a much more efficient way of communicating for me. Can't get a data signal everywhere I go and roaming charges can get pretty ridiculous. So depending on what's available I switch between Whatsapp and SMS.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

I used to use Viber but it has been broken recently and converting the 2 people I know who use it to anything but would be near impossible. Everyone has the ability to send and receive SMS. SMS is efficient and with Pushbullet (alternatives are available), it is usable cross platform.

Intel Core i7 4770k - 2x Geforce GTX 780 - MSI Z87 MPower Max - Corsair H60 - 8GB Avexir Core Series MPower Yellow + 4gb no-brand DDR3 - Corsair Obsidian 750d - AData XPG SX900 256gb SSD - Seagate Barracuda 3TB (7200 RPM) - Hitachi 250GB 2.5in HDD (3200 RPM) - WD HDD 160GB extracted from iMac via black magic (no specified RPM) - ASUS VG248QE 144HZ 3d Vision Monitor - Logitech G602 - Ducky Shine 3 TKL - AKG 172 HD Headphones - Xperia z2 - Sony Noise canceling earphones -  Nikon D5200 With Bundled Lenses - Windows 7 Home Premium - Blue Snowball iCE - Acer Aspire X with a broken case, AMD A6, and Raijintek Aidos CPU heatsink

SMS is still the best available method to reach ALL people using cellphones, no matter how old they are.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

SMS is the very functional and well every phone has it. And it's just flat out easier to do.

3rd party apps require the same person to have it, have an account and actively use it.

I'd rather use the one that everyone already has and doesn't require me to have to get something from someone to send a message to besides a phone number. Much easier.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

Why do I still use sms? Because its 100% free no matter where in the world I send them and not all of my buddies have any one messenger app

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Because everyone can read it and it's free for a few numbers for me. That said I do tend to use hangouts since I can use it on PC too or Whatsapp/fbmessenger since they're popular with friends.

I'd rather pay for text messages than use anything Zuckerberg is involved in.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

No data plan on my phone so SMS it is. I use GroupMe so I can group text anyway...

Pretty much the only solution I've found that works & sync on SMS and computer. So I can text my girlfriend, get on the computer and continue the conversation there. It's like what Hangout should be (iMessage does this right ? But I think if it's using iMessage instead of SMS and you don't have an internet connection, it will wait till you do instead of relying on SMS)

Anyway, why is this in the news section !?

Much copy-pasta, such wow.

SMS is easy to use and im more likely to have mobile network signal than having 2G/3G signal....

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

The fact that as long as I can get any sort of signal, I can send a text. I don't need a decent 3G or wifi connection.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

because it's the only option which doesn't need internet

I use it for my main line of communication cuz I don't really talk for all that long with people. Otherwise I call or see the person in person. Also use it for 2 step authentication.

Pretty simply:

The Pros:

• People actually read and respond to texts faster (in my anecdotal evidence) than email or IM when they are on their phone.
  • Literally everyone i know with a phone can send and receive texts, regardless of company/plan/phoneOS
  • No messing with different protocols (Skype v MSN v Facebook v Hangouts v IRC v ICQ v all the other bullshit that i use)
  • Never need to worry about trying to get a signal for SMS, on the rare cases i lose it for a little while it auto sends/receives once i reconnect.
  • No need to log into any accounts or any bullshit like that.
  • Doesnt use data.

The Cons:

• Limited text length (Though modern phones get around this with combining messages)
  • MMS support on some carriers is wonky (Not directly related to SMS but it bares mentioning)

Its kinda hard for it to NOT be a thing still. Find me something else that does the same thing. (Pagers maybe? But i haven't seen one in 15 years)

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

In response to the title: Because it works.

This is the /wrap imo.

It has very low failure rate, it's fast, and pretty straight forward (the UX side of things I mean), and it works with any signal and any device. Like you said: it works.

Just because it's old tech, doesn't mean it's obsolete.

SMS is the very functional and well every phone has it. And it's just flat out easier to do.

3rd party apps require the same person to have it, have an account and actively use it.

I'd rather use the one that everyone already has and doesn't require me to have to get something from someone to send a message to besides a phone number. Much easier.

This is the only reason why I use it. My mom uses Facebook messenger, my brother uses WhatsApp, my sister uses iMessage, my grandparents uses ChatOn I think (my aunt uses it and configured it for them) and my friends uses a bunch of different ones as well. Personally I use Skype the most for instant messaging with people.

I don't feel like having 5 different messaging apps installed on my phone so I just default to SMS whenever I don't see someone on Skype. I would gladly change to something else because SMS is a terrible technology (especially MMS) but since the people I talk to don't feel like using 1 single app I just use the one everyone of them has.