Looking for a great overclocker

HyperHertz

I want to upgrade my 750Ti to something like non-reference R9 290 or the GTX 970. I want a card with great amonut of overclocking head rooms. What card do you recommend me around the price of R9 290 and the GTX 970 range?

Evidence Of Evil

Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 from Newegg or From Amazon

I want to upgrade my 750Ti to something like non-reference R9 290 or the GTX 970. I want a card with great amonut of overclocking head rooms. What card do you recommend me around the price of R9 290 and the GTX 970 range?

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

Of course when it comes to overclocking headroom it depends on the "silicon lottery" so there's no way to tell how high you'll get unless you're buying used and the previous seller can tell you.

That being said people have been getting very good results with the GTX 970, and because it runs cooler than a 290 you have much more thermal headroom.

Get the 290x if you game on high resolution. If you game on 1080p then get the 970. 

The best 970 model imo is the g1 gaming.

The best 290x model imo is the msi lightning.

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

Of course when it comes to overclocking headroom it depends on the "silicon lottery" so there's no way to tell how high you'll get unless you're buying used and the previous seller can tell you.

That being said people have been getting very good results with the GTX 970, and because it runs cooler than a 290 you have much more thermal headroom.

Not entirely, the G1 970 is binned, so you have a much much better chance at getting one that overclocks further than other cards.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Not entirely, the G1 970 is binned, so you have a much much better chance at getting one that overclocks further than other cards.

Yes true. I just meant that you can't guarantee that a G1 970 will have more headroom than any other 970 or 290. That said, it should have more headroom on average.

As for 970s, I've heard that the gigabyte g1 overclocks really good. I have the MSI one and it also overclocks nicely, plus it can also turn the fans off.

The MSI 290 lightning should overclock like a beast, a friend of mine has the 770 lightning and it gives you a lot of room.