[ Case Mod ] Powertosh i5 / Powermac G5 watercooled Hackintosh

perestrojka
Hi to all people of Linus Tech Tips !

So, I decided to finally put my hands on Powermac G5 case, and build my dream computer / cooling system.

WCCor5c.jpg

-----------------------------------------

System specs:

CPU: i5 4690k // de-lided @ 5.0GHz 1.5V
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 2 x 8GB 2400MHz CL11
GPU: Gainward Phantom GTX 980
MBO: Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1
HDD: Intel 520 120GB
PSU: Seasonic 520W Fanless 

* Other parts are still unknown *

Liquid cooling loop specs:

Laing DDC-VC pump
Watercool HK CPU Rev. 3.0 LC
Watercool HEATKILLER® GPU-X3
EK-CoolStream PE 360 3 * 120 mm radiator ( 19FPI double fin ) 
Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Bionic loop *SPONSORED*
EK-XTOP DDC - Acetal (Original CSQ) 
Alphacool tubing AlphaTube black
Monsoon 13/10mm (ID 3/8" OD 1/2") White Free Center fittings *SPONSORED*
Cable managment and sleeving is sponsored by ICEMODZ

Many thanks to the sponsors :

4tvrKcy.jpg
www.blacknoise.com

rlzMmnM.jpg

www.icemodz.com

QcmQHUe.png

www.monsooncooling.com

4m1KB7g.png

www.pcaxe.com

For years i was trying to find used case on our local cragilist-a-like website, and pretty much there was no super deals, people often wanted like 300 GBP for bare Powermac case, or some very old Powermac configuration. 

And finally ! Few days ago, there it was, one ad got my attention, Powermac 7.3, with LCS ( non functional LCS drained out all over the PPCs and PSU ), i was happy as hell :), instantly got on my e-mail and started communication with seller.

Aaand in less than 36hours,  here it is, DHL knocked on my door, yeeeeeeeeei :)

4EkG5Aal.jpg

LCS was of course malfunctioned, but no worries my friends! Pump is still functional :)

Jqkkvazl.jpg k0JLuJnl.jpg?1

So here it is, sweet little DDC guy :)

oW3I52zl.jpg  GgPSww6l.jpg

As i was talking with seller about our deal, i worked on 3d sketch for my project in the same time, and here it is.

Front

WvN9iFtl.jpg

Back

DEN96hCl.jpg

Renders

VLpl9uHl.jpg

wlkNgnxl.jpg

GlGaalXl.jpg

My dream is to build as quiet as possible, yet well cooled and re-usable case / cooling system that will fit to any motherboard / gpu / cpu configuration in future. 

So, what are these compartments inside of it ? Well, i had in mind to use only 3 fans to cool whole pc, and to achieve maximum airflow / cooling effect without any additional fans except these on water radiator. 

So in this build i will go with fanless PSU, 3 x 120 NoiseBlocker Bionic eLoop fans on pwm and i will try to make thermal zones, so fans can speed up individually if there is a problem with temperature arise in one of the compartments without need to speed up another 2 fans. Apple Powermac case is perfect for build like this, as his perforated front and back side are ideal for vertical radiator placement and it will enable me to do what i want. Also i think that build quality is well known, this thing is built like a tank :D

Q6GoMAhl.jpg

Didn't know those were watercooled, subbed.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

I decided to pull out all things from it, and leave the rest for tomorrow, but Battlefield 4 servers were swarmed with children that day, so i decided to take a closer look on LCS pump, and to see if that machinery is still working. 

lymn7Cyl.jpg

Ewwwww :sick:

lah8tGMl.jpg

I had to clean that crap out :D

ea6s5Bpl.jpg ouWe5G6l.jpg

What the heck? What kind of Laing pump is this ? Well, it is DDC-VC, model with volumetric compensator :D

1ZwyTugl.jpg Ke2A3aPl.jpg

o6tEVVUl.jpg EZNEIY0l.jpg

ubyj4Egl.jpg

Crap that got stuck inside pump, some debris, rust and who know what... I actually found something that was similar to pineapple chunks ( i don't want to know what that is xD  )

Uxrmxyul.jpg

Case is 90% cleaned out, I'am waiting for my Dremel tool to arrive to continue work on it ( old one wasn't in use for 6 years, and decided to die when i powered it on to do some cut-outs on that case  :D  )

UQfkzITl.jpg  BUrtDczl.jpg

And for the end of that night, random workplace pic, i was 50hours awake because of some other projects / work, and that was all for this night. Time to sleep :D

ry738orl.jpg

Current status: 

* Waiting for Dremel tool delivery
* Waiting for some cash to buy remaining parts
* Waiting for sponsors to arrange parts sponsorships  ( Don't worry, i have this project 100% covered by myself, but sponsors are always welcome :) )

Looks great, cant wait. Subbed

Thnx m8 :)

Didn't know those were watercooled, subbed.

Thnx m8 :)

Yeah, they build them with LCS because of 2.7GHz PPC had really big TDP, and they needed to cool 2 of them in such small space biggrin.gif ( Considering the fact that PPCs were watercooled, they still reached 80 - 100 degree Celcius )

Please use sopiler guys, [*****] [/****]  replace ***** with spoiler and don't forget to put / in the last brackets.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

This is going to be good! Followed!!

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

This is really going to be good.

Will you make a windowed panel?

Followed 4 sure :D !

Very Interesting, Followed !!  ;)

This is going to be good! Followed!!

This is really going to be good.

Will you make a windowed panel?

Followed 4 sure  :D !

Well, i don't know, maybe  :) maybe not,  :) it's classified  :D

Thanks guys :) 

Fresh update, just got really exciting e-mail from Aquatuning.de,  "Betr.: Shipping confirmation of your order." :) :)

Looks like this is going to be good. Do you know what that brown burnt stuff on the bottom was?

@LukaP look another one of us

Really looking forward to this, and boy, you are way better at autodesk inventor than i am :P

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Looks like this is going to be good. Do you know what that brown burnt stuff on the bottom was?

Rust and coolant residue, that original coolant was really really nasty when he got into contact with air, stuff started to crystallize and eat every metal surface it touched :D

Interesting!

@LukaP look another one of us

Really looking forward to this, and boy, you are way better at autodesk inventor than i am :P

@Norman, Autodesk ? :) 

Thnx guys :)

Edit: 

Update: As it seems, negotiations with Silverstone aren't going as planned, so I'am thinking into using that 2 heatsinks from PPC memory controllers on my current PSU to boost its cooling and convert it into passive PSU.

Awesome! I can't wait to start working on my 2009 Mac Pro case again, would you mind heling me with some renders of it, but with a mATX motherboard and I/O facing downwards? I'll pm you with some handmade sketches(I am terrible at 3d rendering, even at 2d)

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

Sure mate, pm me on skype: juggernaut_vz

Can't find you on skype, I am sending you a PM on the forum ;)

Rust and coolant residue, that original coolant was really really nasty when he got into contact with air, stuff started to crystallize and eat every metal surface it touched :D

Ok. It looked like when my dad spilled powerade on his motorcycle exhaust pipe while it was running.  What were you using to 3d model the parts? 

Can't find you on skype, I am sending you a PM on the forum ;)

Okay :)

Ok. It looked like when my dad spilled powerade on his motorcycle exhaust pipe while it was running.  What were you using to 3d model the parts? 

3D renders: SketchUp + Indigo Render plugin  ( mbo colour is black, also pictures are LQ, because i didn't want to wait for like 2h for one picture - my current gpu is fucked i guess, or we can say that this is amd driver problem lol, so i had to use cpu for rendering  )

Front / Back preview: Photoshop 

Just sent you a PM, if I don't reply in the next 10 minutes, I will answer tomorrow ;)

3D renders: SketchUp + Indigo Render plugin  ( mbo colour is black, also pictures are LQ, because i didn't want to wait for like 2h for one picture - my current gpu is fucked i guess, or we can say that this is amd driver problem lol, so i had to use cpu for rendering  )

Front / Back preview: Photoshop 

thanks.

Got some presents from:  Monsoon / 3/8 - 1/2 White compression fittings

1pMnBdkl.jpg

QEI6g1Zl.jpg

O1vb9K7l.jpg

BlackNoise Technologies / three B12-PS PWM eLoop fans.

www.blacknoise.com

atQN9USl.jpg

Ftx3262l.jpg

-- Edit: 1hour ago received package of parts I've ordered from AquaTuning :) --

iShi3eql.jpgt8ZbNXkl.jpg

Phobya Nano Grease

tTfTvWxl.jpg

Phobya 2 component thermal glue / grease

jLFymi2l.jpg

AlphaCool VRAM heatsinks

SGtXuGgl.jpg

Watercool Heatkiller GPU X3 

SPiN1H9l.jpgheBftWcl.jpg
46TFd4el.jpg

Watercool Heatkiller CPU LC 

vPRQCNpl.jpgJMtCsXhl.jpg
E7xFqBtl.jpg

--------

Waterblock base from the inside ( They both use the same base design, but in CPU block water is striking into middle of that base, and for GPU water is flowing from one side to another )

LqPhKMNl.jpg

Monsoon fittings on CPU block

QIniwfZl.jpg

Monsoon fittings on GPU block

MbHmzB7l.jpg

I had to put tubing on it, to see how this will look :D ( Alphacool 10/13 Black UV )

muC0fSWl.jpg

+

Got update from EK Waterblocks, they shipped packet to Croatia just few hours ago :) ( CoolStream PE 360,  RES X2 - 100 Basic, XTOP DDC - Acetal (Original CSQ) ) 

Are you going to route tubing trough those "zone" panels or you going to do it in some elegant way?

Also why not hard tubing??

I have 2 options, either route them thru zone panels, or hide them inside original channels that are in case.

Why not hard tubing? - I want to keep myself out of tubing trouble when it comes to future hardware upgrades, soft tubes are much more "hassle free" + hard tubing kinda looks too plumber-ish to me :D