Bethesda hits Fortress Fallout maker with legal name-change demand

D00ms0ldier

Technically it's from Bethesda's parent company, Zenimax. Either way I can kind of see an argument for both sides here. Fallout is a semi-common term but when I first heard the name Fortress Fallout I thought it was a mod for Fallout or someone making some unlicensed Fallout game. There is an argument to be made about people thinking that it is linked to the Fallout games.

That whole company chain has their panties in a bunch.

So dumb.

this is silly. although Zenimax has more money, they could have won this in court. suppose a name change is cheaper lol

SPAAAAAACE!!!

Bethesda has to fight it which is the problem isn't otherwise they won't get to keep the name. But what this really means is that we are getting another Fallout game and thats all I really give a sh*t about. Fallout is my favorite game series, all the games are brilliant. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Well Bethesda did pay almost 6million USD for exclusive rights to the Fallout name from Interplay back in '07. I can understand their parent company wanting to protect that investment but in this situation, I don't see "Fortess Fallout" taking any sales away from Bethesda/Zenimax. Seems kind of silly.

Well Bethesda did pay almost 6million USD for exclusive rights to the Fallout name from Interplay back in '07. I can understand their parent company wanting to protect that investment but in this situation, I don't see "Fortess Fallout" taking any sales away from Bethesda/Zenimax. Seems kind of silly.

I still think they overpaid on that deal, the setting on the original Fallouts was good but not "gotta have this" good or popular. Hell if you think about it they could have done what Interplay did back then which was steal things from Wasteland and call it something else.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I still think they overpaid on that deal, the setting on the original Fallouts was good but not "gotta have this" good or popular. Hell if you think about it they could have done what Interplay did back then which was steal things from Wasteland and call it something else.

I agree. I do, however, admit I have a soft spot for anything fallout. Wasteland was the first video game I remember seeing someone play on a PC, and being able to finally play through FO 1&2 just last year was an incredible experience. I want the IP to continue and although I think this particular situation is frivolous, I do want to play more fallout games without something as simple as another game's title getting in the way.

At least for me personally, the term "fallout" does carry extra weight even if that influence should not be so meaningful. Calling fallout 4 "Wasted Land: An open world post-apocalyptic RPG" just doesn't do it for me :P . With both NV and FO3 having GOTY editions, I guess I am simply not surprised there is a pissing contest over the name, even though I think that is stupid.

I do not think FO3 and NV were more popular because they had fallout in the title, but the fact those games were so popular makes the fallout name more valuable compared to what Bethesda purchased almost 10 years ago. Did Bethesda pay too much in '07 for the rights? Yeah. Should they protect that name now that it is worth much more? I guess so, but it is still ridiculous.

My thoughts are if they were infringing then by all means go for it, but in this case the two have nothing in common what so ever so even if this did go to court all I can see happening is that Bethesda/Zenimax getting laughed out of court (well it would happen in AUS, not too sure about the legal system anywhere else) 

I'd argue that they have no right to force a name change if the game had been called Fallout: Fortress sure but fallout is a common term. Seems pretty silly to me and I was never a fallout fan so I don't personally care for a new fallout game.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

Fallout is not a word made by Bethesda, its a real word and can't be patented, copyright restricted or otherwise. Fuck off Bethesda.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

My thoughts are if they were infringing then by all means go for it, but in this case the two have nothing in common what so ever so even if this did go to court all I can see happening is that Bethesda/Zenimax getting laughed out of court (well it would happen in AUS, not too sure about the legal system anywhere else) 

USA whoever has the most money wins.

Gotta protect that IP. Yeah, it's seem like a trivial move by Zenimax, but otherwise they wouldn't be doing their dues to Bethesda if Fortress Fallout could be used as an example of them letting the IP get too generic and risk losing the copyright.

Gotta protect that IP.

I would say the samething, Fallout and TES are their sacred IPs, the money makers of bethesda, and if it weren't for those games, Bethesda wouldn't be as big as they are now.

GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 780 (x2, SLI) CPU: i7 5820k Motherboard: Alienware Aurora R4 Mobo RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 GB SSD: Samsung EVO 840

HDD: WD Green 3TB Cooler: Corsair H100i

you have to remeber if a company doesnt defend there trademark they can lose it

Fallout is not a word made by Bethesda, its a real word and can't be patented, copyright restricted or otherwise. Fuck off Bethesda.

Someone really needs to google the term

Registered Trademark

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I would say the samething, Fallout and TES are their sacred IPs, the money makers of bethesda, and if it weren't for those games, Bethesda wouldn't be as big as they are now.

If it wasn't for the success of Morrowind, Bethesda would be out of business.

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

Technically it's from Bethesda's parent company, Zenimax. Either way I can kind of see an argument for both sides here. Fallout is a semi-common term but when I first heard the name Fortress Fallout I thought it was a mod for Fallout or someone making some unlicensed Fallout game. There is an argument to be made about people thinking that it is linked to the Fallout games.

What do you mean with an argument? I don't think there's an argument at all.

Fallout is a normal English word, it just reminds a lot of people of 'Fallout' the game immediately. I really don't understand what they're trying to do here, do they have a patent on the actual english word? I don't think so.

What do you mean with an argument? I don't think there's an argument at all.

Fallout is a normal English word, it just reminds a lot of people of 'Fallout' the game immediately. I really don't understand what they're trying to do here, do they have a patent on the actual english word? I don't think so.

Not a patent, a trademark. They have a trademark on the word "Fallout" as it applies to video games since the franchise is called Fallout. Any game that uses the word fallout in their title does bring up thoughts of that specific franchise. Whether or not Zenimax has a right to go after any game that uses the word in their title would be up to the courts to decide as there is an argument to be had on both sides. It looks like the creator of Fortress Fallout is just changing the name of the game instead of fighting though, since that would get ridiculously expensive.

this is bullshit how long until every word is copyrighted by someone. the word fallout is not an original word so it shouldn't even be possible to copyright. but its murica so everything goes. 

Someone really needs to google the term

Registered Trademark

Definition of Fallout:

1.radioactive particles that are carried into the atmosphere after a nuclear explosion or accident and gradually fall back as dust or in precipitation.

2. the adverse side effects or results of a situation.

The word is not trademarked, a franchise with the word in its title is. Anyone can use the word as they please as long as it doesn't copy the franchise.

I just wish Bethesda would announce the next Fallout and TES games already.

Yeah, go ahead and take your time making them of course, but freaking announce them already so we can drool.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I just wish Bethesda would announce the next Fallout and TES games already.

Yeah, go ahead and take your time making them of course, but freaking announce them already so we can drool.

Well they have a conference at E3 this year. Would be silly of them not to at least tease one or both of them.