Best future proof graphics card

EdwinX

Hey,

I currently have a Asus GTX 760 2GB purchased about 8 months ago, I want to buy a new future proof graphics card, I was thinking for a while about just buying another 760 and going SLI, but I'm not sure. I was also thinking about buying an used Titan Black. What do you guys think? Should I SLI? Or should I go for the Titan Black, or is there any other good card? (Don't want the 970.)

The games I play is GTA, Far Cry, Tomb Raider, normal popular games.

There are really no future proof graphics cards unless you plan 3-4 way crossfire/sli in the future, and in that case, 290x 8GB.

In your situation, I'd just get another 760 if you really don't want to sell yours.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

Hey,

I currently have a Asus GTX 760 2GB purchased about 8 months ago, I want to buy a new future proof graphics card, I was thinking for a while about just buying another 760 and going SLI, but I'm not sure. I was also thinking about buying an used Titan Black. What do you guys think? Should I SLI? Or should I go for the Titan Black, or is there any other good card? (Don't want the 970.)

There is no such word in PC hardware as future proof.

The best GPUs from nVidia and AMD right now will be old crap in 1 year. But you can buy ahead if you plan wisely, for i.e. if you know you want to stay with 1080p a R9 290 could be a nice option, or if you prefer nVidia a GTX980 (since you don´t like the GTX970).

Titan Black is with a GK110 chip and there fore outdated already buy GM204 and soon we see a new highend card with nVidia´s new GM200.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

The best GPUs from nVidia and AMD right now will be old crap in 1 year. But you can buy ahead if you plan wisely, for i.e. if you know you want to stay with 1080p a R9 290 could be a nice option, or if you prefer nVidia a GTX980 (since you don´t like the GTX970).

Titan Black is with a GK110 chip and there fore outdated already buy GM204 and soon we see a new highend card with nVidia´s new GM200.

Well, I don't mean like future proof for 5 years, I mean something that will run games with nice fps in the future, I will obviously be updating in like 2 years. Well, the 980 is really expensive, and yes I do prefer nVidia.

Futureproofing GPUs is basically buying the higher VRAM model so that you can do dual-GPU later on without being limited by VRAM not stacking.

For example, the 4GB 760. I wouldn't do SLI with the 2GB models because in modern games you will become limited by VRAM when running two 2GB 760s

"Rawr XD"

Yes there is. Fate provided a great example. An 8GB R9 290X now will be better in the future for CrossFire then a 4GB model.

"Rawr XD"

Futureproofing GPUs is basically buying the higher VRAM model so that you can do dual-GPU later on without being limited by VRAM not stacking.

For example, the 4GB 760. I wouldn't do SLI with the 2GB models because in modern games you will become limited by VRAM when running two 2GB 760s

Yes, the VRAM, that's why I'm not sure if I should get another 2GB 760.

Yes there is. Fate provided a great example. An 8GB R9 290X now will be better in the future for CrossFire then a 4GB model.

No there isn´t. This 8GB R9 290X lacks already raw computing power like all cards do for 4K and will get roflstomped. And btw if you play in 1080p you don´t need 8GB VRAM.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

AMD r9 395x2 when it comes out.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

Well, I don't mean like future proof for 5 years, I mean something that will run games with nice fps in the future, I will obviously be updating in like 2 years. Well, the 980 is really expensive, and yes I do prefer nVidia.

What you could do though is wait until nVidia releases the next highend card with the GM200 chip. Maybe we will se a price drop a bit or you buy a used card from a trusted person. I can only say the GTX980 is a fine GPU :).

What you could do though is wait until nVidia releases the next highend card with the GM200 chip. Maybe we will se a price drop a bit or you buy a used card from a trusted person. I can only say the GTX980 is a fine GPU :).

Yep, I see you really like it by that 3way SLI haha.

Yep, I see you really like it by that 3way SLI haha.

Haha yeah it´s for OCing, highend GPU benchmarking is my hobby.

But I play in 4K and it´s awesome with 3 cards when you have a good SLI profile. The min FPS are a lot better and it makes the 4K experience better over all. If you run into a game though like i.e. H1Z1 without a good profile (I created my own) then you run on 1 card and the benefit of 3way is nothing hehe.

I am waiting for the next highend GPUs from AMD and nVidia because the chances are good that we will see for the first time cards, even though the are in 28NM, that are capable of 2way CF/SLI and get 4K really enjoyable :).

Haha yeah it´s for OCing, highend GPU benchmarking is my hobby.

But I play in 4K and it´s awesome with 3 cards when you have a good SLI profile. The min FPS are a lot better and it makes the 4K experience better over all. If you run into a game though like i.e. H1Z1 without a good profile (I created my own) then you run on 1 card and the benefit of 3way is nothing hehe.

I am waiting for the next highend GPUs from AMD and nVidia because the chances are good that we will see for the first time cards, even though the are in 28NM, that are capable of 2way CF/SLI and get 4K really enjoyable :).

Ahh, nice. You seem like you know everything, do you know when the new series of graphics cards are coming out so the 980 prices can drop?

Ahh, nice. You seem like you know everything, do you know when the new series of graphics cards are coming out so the 980 prices can drop?

Well unfortunately I don´t work for neither of them haha (I would probably lose my mind if I´d work for AMD or nVidia´s desktop GPU department).

But the CEO of AMD made a statement that AMD will launch the new highendcard in Q2 2015. nVidia on the other hand side already set up an event in the beginning of March 2015, where it could be possible that they reveal the new GM200 chip, which will be the next highend gamers´ card.

Here´s some rumor:

http://videocardz.com/54858/amd-radeon-300-series-speculation-395x2-bermuda-390x-fiji-and-380x-grenada

http://videocardz.com/54358/nvidia-maxwell-gm200-pictured

The cards that are available right now at good price/performance that are likely to last you the longer are the R9 290/290X and GTX 970...GTX 780 or 780ti are still beast but might lack some VRAM down the road...i'd personaly shop for a R9 290X with an epic cooler on it.

EDIT: that's a beast for the price:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125499&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Future proofing is a very obligatory term now yet it honestly it's pretty dumb. Nobody can predict the future therefore you can't future proof. Some people say to just get something with an insane amount of VRAM and you'll be set but who's to say that the GPU with that VRAM will be able to run games how you want them in 2 years anyway by the time games start using the VRAM. My recommendation, stick with your 760 until performance is undesirable then upgrade to the next bang for your buck card.

A card isn't going to gain any performance once you buy it, the best you can future proof is to buy a high end card of a new generation but with AMD having not yet releasing the 300 series, you might want to wait to see the effect of HBM on performance. However that leaves the Nvidia cards slightly behind in terms of future proof time. I don't think SLI 760s are a good option at this point due to VRAM. It also depends on how much you want to squeeze out of a card, are you just wanting to keep up with the latest graphics or are you going to use it until you are dissatisfied with performance? Think of how much longer you are willing to stick with the 760 and then make your decision after that. Regardless, seeing as you said you'd be upgrading in 2 years or so, I don't think you have that much need to future proof for. A good card like a 290X now will still be alright before your next upgrade assuming you stay on the same resolution.

i5 4670 | Asrock Fatal1ty H87 | G.Skill 16GB snipars | Gigabyte GTX 760 Windforce | CM 690 III | 850 Evo 250GB + 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Seasonic G-750 | Logitech G502 | AKG K553 | Windows 10

A card isn't going to gain any performance once you buy it, the best you can future proof is to buy a high end card of a new generation but with AMD having not yet releasing the 300 series, you might want to wait to see the effect of HBM on performance. However that leaves the Nvidia cards slightly behind in terms of future proof time. I don't think SLI 760s are a good option at this point due to VRAM. It also depends on how much you want to squeeze out of a card, are you just wanting to keep up with the latest graphics or are you going to use it until you are dissatisfied with performance? Think of how much longer you are willing to stick with the 760 and then make your decision after that. Regardless, seeing as you said you'd be upgrading in 2 years or so, I don't think you have that much need to future proof for. A good card like a 290X now will still be alright before your next upgrade assuming you stay on the same resolution.

I just want to keep up with the latest graphics, as GTA 5 is coming out soon, I want to be prepared :)

I just want to keep up with the latest graphics, as GTA 5 is coming out soon, I want to be prepared :)

now you've learned something: NEVER mention the words ''future-proofing'' in your question because then anybody just focus on this aspect and they all want to make sure you realise that nothing is FUTURE-PROOF...and they forget to help you instead...

Some parts though can be a lot more ''future-proof'' than others...for example what is more future proof? a pentium G3220 or an i7-5960X ? a GTX 750 or a GTX titan black? you get the idea.

How much are you willing to spend on a GPU? what is your location? are you ready to order something today? are you willing to do the mail-in-rebates if needed?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

now you've learned something: NEVER mention the words ''future-proofing'' in your question because then anybody just focus on this aspect and they all want to make sure you realise that nothing is FUTURE-PROOF...and they forget to help you instead...

Some parts though can be a lot more ''future-proof'' than others...for example what is more future proof? a pentium G3220 or an i7-5960X ? a GTX 750 or a GTX titan black? you get the idea.

How much are you willing to spend on a GPU? what is your location? are you ready to order something today? are you willing to do the mail-in-rebates if needed?

I'm willing to spend around $400-450 USD, my location is in Sweden, no I'm not 100% ready to order, I'm probably gonna be ready to order in 2-3 months.

I'm willing to spend around $400-450 USD, my location is in Sweden, no I'm not 100% ready to order, I'm probably gonna be ready to order in 2-3 months.

new cards will be out by then, prices will be different.

It's just that best future proof card and best card are basically the same. Like the examples you gave the more powerful option is always going to stay relevant for longer.

i5 4670 | Asrock Fatal1ty H87 | G.Skill 16GB snipars | Gigabyte GTX 760 Windforce | CM 690 III | 850 Evo 250GB + 2TB Seagate Barracuda | Seasonic G-750 | Logitech G502 | AKG K553 | Windows 10

It's just that best future proof card and best card are basically the same. Like the examples you gave the more powerful option is always going to stay relevant for longer.

exactly.

In my humble opinion, the r9 290 is in the best option if you plan on upgrading in 2 years anyways.  1.It's cheap for the performance 2.If you really plan on playing AAA titles in 4k then no card you can get today will be able to do that.