Why UK Internet Sucks

louisoft01

It's marketing bullcrap lol.

It's NOT marketing bullshit. You get whats advertised and thats speeds upto 75. BT dsl covers most/all adsl areass and BTs dsl has speeds including 20mbps.  

Why am I talking to a 12 y.o minecraft kid? It's NOT marketing bullshit. You get whats advertised and thats speeds upto 75. BT dsl covers most/all adsl areass and BTs dsl has speeds including 20mbps.

It's sad that this (apparently) '12 y.o minecraft kid' is less naive than you. I'm on Virgin and I get 25mbps down and 3 up MAXIMUM and they throttle you like crazy at peak times (it can drop to less than 1mbps).

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

It's sad that this (apparently) '12 y.o minecraft kid' is less naive than you. I'm on Virgin and I get 25mbps down and 3 up MAXIMUM and they throttle you like crazy at peak times (it can drop to less than 1mbps).

OMFG.

Virgin media doesn't throttle ANYONE at anytime.

Virgin media doesn't slow down their network at anytime.

I'd love to know your postcode to prove you wrong. 

Edit: And yes, I do have several friends working in VM and they would love to prove you wrong too. 

OMFG. Virgin media doesn't throttle ANYONE. I'd love to know your postcode to prove you wrong.

Like I said, you're extremely naive (and do you honestly think I'm gonna give you my post code?) and buy into ISP's marketing. I get throttled at peak times very often.

Like I said, you're extremely naive (and do you honestly think I'm gonna give you my post code?) and buy into ISP's marketing

Your postcode is nothing but a street name. 

What do you think I am? A terrorist that will shoot up the whole street to find out where you live?

Your postcode is nothing but a street name. 

What do you think I am? A terrorist that will shoot up the whole street to find out where you live?

-.- this post is so stupid I'm not even going to comment

-.- this post is so stupid I'm not even going to comment

Why? Your post code is nothing more than a fancy street number and if you think saying your postcode on the Internet will get advertisers to your door then you don't live in the real world as for they already are at your door. 

Why? Your post code is nothing more than a fancy street number and if you think saying your postcode on the Internet will get advertisers to your door then you don't live in the real world as for they already are probably at your door.

Your postcode isn't something that you just freely but on the web like your name.

Give me your name and a speedtest image and I'll find your postcode...

Lol, well I can't right now because I'm in France xD

Give me your name and a speedtest image and I'll find your postcode...

Nearest server location + name + public records?  

">http://http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4147432469'>4147432469.png

I'm in Saudi Arabia, I get about 50 mbps in my mother's room, 3 floors down and behind concrete walls I get 13.84 mbps. Not bad.

GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 780 (x2, SLI) CPU: i7 5820k Motherboard: Alienware Aurora R4 Mobo RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32 GB SSD: Samsung EVO 840

HDD: WD Green 3TB Cooler: Corsair H100i

This has turned into a speed test show off, there is already a thread for this.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/414-whats-your-internet-speedtest/

To be fair, until people from other countries started adding their 2c, it seemed to be more specifically UK internet discussion.

Some people just cant help trying to show off their (decidedly average) connection speed - despite it not being relevant.

The biggest point here for broadband speeds seems to be the divide between fibre areas and non fibre areas where theres only xDSL services.

It's the same here in New Zealand, and also across the ditch in Australia.

There are many areas with fibre where you can get 30Mbit/100Mbit/200Mbit/Gigabit services - but outside of that we used to have real issues

with DSL services, especially in rural areas where people would be on 1-2Mbit due to the long copper lines and attenuation.

These days, the entire country is fibre backhaul and most urban areas have been cabinetised with remote DSLAM/Fibre terminals, which are all fibre fed.

Theres still an issue with rural speeds, where we have Rural Wireless initiatives to increase speed.

All of this has come about in the last 3 years, mainly because we have few privately own infrastructure wholesalers, which are heavily regulated by the government (our version of the FCC).

Perhaps the UK just needs more strong-arming on these large providers to upgrade infrastructure in these outlying areas.

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

4148165650.png

and thats what i get on VM 152Mb, bare in mind it is peak hours right now.. after 12:30ish speed is back up to 152Mb. 

gl8YBQU.png

Mines a bit shit....

My line attenuation is 55dB though, so that can explain why and I live a smaller Island off the North of Scotland and I hate it... The main town on our island has fiber, of up to 39Mb/s and my area (in the country) is getting it within the next 6 months (according to BT, who are extremely unreliable with their dates) but we have seen vans laying fiber cables in our general direction so... Hopes are High! :D I hope we get better internet soon

Because you guys are on an Island?

All continents are islands. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I like in the UK.

Unlike many other places we do not have a thing called cable. instead we are stuck with adsl where i live. So please support the NSSIP aka National Society For Slow Internet Prevention.

4147153671.png

I'm on ADSL with plusnet, I have 16mb connection. Where do u live ? I live in Cornwall.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

4148256773.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

No, the Netherlands

I only can dream of that speed, even though I am paying for 50 up and 20 down I am lucky to get 10 up and 2 down. KPN wants to charge me more to get the speed I'm paying for. :(

I5-8600K - GTX 1080 - 16GB RAM - 1.5TB SSD

I want everything pink

Because you guys are on an Island?

Still better than the almost the reset of the world with speeds upto 160. "In the UK, the average Internet connection speed was 11.1Mbps and the average peak speed 46.6Mbps. The global average connection speed was 4.6Mbps in the second quarter of 2014 " Thanks google. 

All of this has come about in the last 3 years, mainly because we have few privately own infrastructure wholesalers, which are heavily regulated by the government (our version of the FCC).

Perhaps the UK just needs more strong-arming on these large providers to upgrade infrastructure in these outlying areas.

They are already funding them. 

i get decent speed and im with bt but with home hub 2 

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4147160768

with Ethernet i get around 60 down and 30-25 up

but bt is horrendously unreliable 

that's not decent :/ anything below 100 is slow.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

I get 1.5 down, quit complaining lol.

I can't just buy better internet, this is all we have available now.