Personal PSU recommendations

Aniallation

Well, I'm bored again.

Decided to make a list of power supplies that I'd suggest to people for certain wattage and price ranges, and make it separate from the stickied thread as this is more of an unofficial resource. 

Still a work in progress, will become aesthetically adjusted and info added over time.

Prices based in US. If outside of the US availability and pricing may vary. Prices are WITHOUT mail-in rebates or sales. With sales they may be cheaper then in the price ranges listed. PSUs under price ranges aren't sorted in any particular order at the moment.

Don't know how many watts you need? Go whine in here -> http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/199255-how-many-watts-do-i-need-check-here/

Low wattage:

Antec EA-380D

Seasonic 300W and 350W 80+ Bronze

450W-650W (general single-GPU):

<$50

EVGA 500B and 600B

$50-$70

XFX Pro Series 550W or TS Bronze 550W

Antec Neo ECO 520W and 620W

Seasonic S12II 620W

Seasonic M12II 520W

EVGA 550 GS

Cooler Master G550M

Antec TruePower Classic 550W

$70+

Cooler Master V550

Seasonic S12G 550W

XFX TS Gold 550W

EVGA 650 GS

700W-850W (general dual-GPU):

EVGA 750B2

$65-80

Antec High Current Gamer 750W

Rosewill Capstone 750W

$80-120

EVGA 750G2 and 850G2

Cooler Master V750

XFX XTR 750W

Seasonic S12G 750W

Seasonic G750

Antec High Current Gamer 850W

EVGA 850B2

EVGA 850 GS

850W+ (overkill swag):

$100-$130

Antec High Current Gamer 900W

EVGA NEX1000G

$140-$170

EVGA 1050 GS

EVGA 1000G2

EVGA 1000PS

$170-200

NZXT HALE92 1000W

EVGA 1300G2

EVGA 1000P2

Again it does need touching up.

Start bitching in the replies, at this point criticism would help and all will be taken into consideration.

"Rawr XD"

Educate yourself, the RM series trumps all of these single-handedly, also while being half the price. /s

Also, you should have some sort of Power Supply Expert badge, since you seem very knowledgeable in this category.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Just to say I think you missed my comment that I posted long time ago on that other topic.

Its 7th comment on 4th page :)

Also where is Thermaltake :)

Just to say I think you missed my comment that I posted long time ago on that other topic.

Its 7th comment on 4th page :)

The thing about rails? It's already been changed?

"Rawr XD"

The thing about rails? It's already been changed?

Oh damn I missed that. I checked few weeks after posting that comment and it wasnt changed :)

I wouldn't put any EVGA G1 unit on this list.

Not sure where I stand on the G1 tbh, it's pretty decent for the price when considering MIRs... in every area except 12V Vreg. For example compared to the S12II/TS Bronze/High Current Gamer it's a decent value, it's just.... wow, that 12V Vreg...

regulation_12v.gif

"Rawr XD"

Not sure where I stand on the G1 tbh, it's pretty decent for the price when considering MIRs... in every area except 12V Vreg. For example compared to the S12II/TS Bronze/High Current Gamer it's a decent value, it's just.... wow, that 12V Vreg...

regulation_12v.gif

But when it comes to PSUs for gamers, 12v reg is one of the most important factors. I couldn't care less about efficiency. It's all about good stable power supply to your components, and we put such a demand on the 12v rail, and 750W PSUs usually go in dual GPU setups and that's not something I'd ever do with an EVGA G1 PSU. I admit I used to think it was perfectly adequate and actually recommended the unit once, but I have seen the light. There are better PSUs available for the same price if you don't care about modularity and don't factor in rebates, which suits my tastes perfectly.

But when it comes to PSUs for gamers, 12v reg is one of the most important factors. I couldn't care less about efficiency. It's all about good stable power supply to your components, and we put such a demand on the 12v rail, and 750W PSUs usually go in dual GPU setups and that's not something I'd ever do with an EVGA G1 PSU. I admit I used to think it was perfectly adequate and actually recommended the unit once, but I have seen the light. There are better PSUs available for the same price if you don't care about modularity and don't factor in rebates, which suits my tastes perfectly.

I know, that's why the 750G isn't in the list. I just used it for the benchmark. 650G is the one in the list which is under "single-GPU" usage scenarios 

"Rawr XD"

I know, that's why the 750G isn't in the list. I just used it for the benchmark. 650G is the one in the list which is under "single-GPU" usage scenarios 

I'd still take a good bronze unit over any G1 unit. We as gamers really don't need that extra bit of efficiency. If you need to save money but need 550W+ for an R9 290 or 290x, I'd just get the EVGA 600B unit. If you have more money, then I'd get the Superflower Golden Green HX of suitable wattage. In the US, I'd just to the Capstone series. I can't think of a single build where I'd use an EVGA G1.

I'd still take a good bronze unit over any G1 unit. We as gamers really don't need that extra bit of efficiency. If you need to save money but need 550W+ for an R9 290 or 290x, I'd just get the EVGA 600B unit. If you have more money, then I'd get the Superflower Golden Green HX of suitable wattage. In the US, I'd just to the Capstone series. I can't think of a single build where I'd use an EVGA G1.

Point taken. The S12II/HCG/TS Bronze are still good choices as well

"Rawr XD"

I don't mind seeing the NEX650-750G / Supernova 650-750w G1 on that list, as it provide provide a larger variety of options for people of different preferences and different regions, rather than having a list that just cater to the price of a single location. It isn't by any mean a fantastic unit - being a budget FSP Aurum unit. However, it does offer full modularity, gold efficiency, full 105C NCC caps, and a 10 year warranty.

Anyways, the Supernova 1000 G1 is based on a different design, which I suspect it to be a modified FSP Aurum Pro unit which isn't a bad unit. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438019

I'm curious about that Raidmax Vampire unit you had recommended. Looks to be a Cougar GX v3 / CMX v3 unit.

I would add to the $170-200 range by suggesting the EVGA 1000W P2

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Also, you should have some sort of Power Supply Expert badge, since you seem very knowledgeable in this category.

I think there can only be one expert per category or something, idk

"Rawr XD"

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought you hated the evga 750B or was it the 750G

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I thought you hated the evga 750B or was it the 750G

Both, and neither of them are on the list. The 750B2 and 750G2 are though. Notice the "2"

"Rawr XD"

Both, and neither of them are on the list. The 750B2 and 750G2 are though. Notice the "2"

ah

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.