Should one upgrade from a 2550k to a 3570k?

My situation is that, I've bought a 2550k around 6 months ago and just recently I've been looking for computer parts for my friend and realized that the 3570k is actually cheaper than the 2550k and apparently quite a bit faster as well? (3570k - $303 and 2550k - $330)

I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ for a cpu cooler so the heat wouldn't be a problem and I would be overclocking it to around 4.6Ghz which the 2550k is on at the moment.

So my question is that, would it be worth it getting 3570k to replace the 2550k?

I mean it won't be like lightning compared to the 2500k, but it is going to be better! On the downside, it will run hotter when OC'd compared to the 2500k.

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

Performance benefits are marginal, 5-10% clock to clock with a CPU-heavy application at most. Especially when overclocked, the performance difference is almost non-existent given the poor thermal performance of the 3570k, so I wouldn't recommend it.

I also think that it's not worth to upgrade for only about 9% better performance, which you won't notice. You should think about another component to get if you would like to spend some money on hardware. Maybe a soundcard ? Or a fine mechanical backlit keyboard ?

Nope, not worth the upgrade. You might as well wait for Haswell if you really want an upgrade, though you'd have to buy a new motherboard as well.

Thanks for all of the replies! I think I'll stick to my 2550k for now. ;)

Thanks for all of the replies! I think I'll stick to my 2550k for now. ;)
Good idea. You'll be fine for a couple of years. Not worth it to upgrade right now.