AMD R9 390X Coming With Cooler Master Liquid Cooler + Estimated Performance

GPUXPert

you must really hate being wrong.  Even to the point of adding adverbs and then arguing semantics you are still trying to avoid admitting this is wrong:

Well, I was talking about the actual sound more than the perception of it. Loud was probably the wrong choice of word. Regardless, your statement is still directly contradicted by your own source.

Well, I was talking about the actual sound more than the perception of it. Loud was probably the wrong choice of word. Regardless, your statement is still directly contradicted by your own source.

you mean my claim that SPL is a well defined parameter?   I think you need to read both my posts and the sources again.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

you mean my claim that SPL is a well defined parameter?   I think you need to read both my posts and the sources again.

Here's your claim:

When dB is used as the measurement of SPL. it is used as a reference scale. Your understanding of log scales is moot, because we are talking about SPL. just because the scale is log doesn't change the relevant points of reference on that scale.  The SPL is a very measurable physical property.  When someone refers to dB with regard to loudness or SPL it is a very well defined parameter.  To argue 20db = 100x louder is ludicrous.  10dB is perceived as 4x as loud.  So unless you can find something to support your claims please stop making thing ups.

(my emphasis)

Here's what you quoted from your link:

Perception of Loudness   (20dB = 4x)

Interestingly, our perception of loudness is not the same as sound pressure level.   Although the actual formulae

is somewhat complex,  as a rough rule of thumb, an increase of 10db SPL is perceived to be approximately twice as loud. 

Thus a 20 Db gain would seem to be about 4 times as loud.  

And a 40 Db gain would seem to be about 16 times as loud.

Clearly it disagrees with you about the number. You say 4 times as loud is 10 dB, they say 20 dB.

In addition, you're saying that "When someone refers to dB with regard to loudness or SPL it is a very well defined parameter", while your source is saying "our perception of loudness is not the same as sound pressure level", as well as talking about a "rough rule of thumb" in linking dB SPL with perceived loudness - not something well defined and exact. Because you can't get that in a simple number.

Anyway, my point at the beginning was that 20 dB is a very large difference, unrealistically large in the given scenario. I've shown that other, more reliable reviewers come to very different conclusions. What more do you want?

Here's your claim:

(my emphasis)

Here's what you quoted from your link:

Clearly it disagrees with you about the number. You say 4 times as loud is 10 dB, they say 20 dB.

In addition, you're saying that "When someone refers to dB with regard to loudness or SPL it is a very well defined parameter", while your source is saying "our perception of loudness is not the same as sound pressure level", as well as talking about a "rough rule of thumb" in linking dB SPL with perceived loudness - not something well defined and exact. Because you can't get that in a simple number.

Anyway, my point at the beginning was that 20 dB is a very large difference, unrealistically large in the given scenario. I've shown that other, more reliable reviewers come to very different conclusions. What more do you want?

A simple typo,  I said 20dB is 4x everywhere else, you need stop grasping at straws.   SPL is a very well defined parameter, I challenge you to find a source that says the measurement of sound pressure is anything but.  Perception of loudness is a little different, but its variation is not as big as you claim, it is definitely not 100x at 20dB. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

You guys need your own thread to argue about it, literally 20 pages of this thread are you two talking about physics.

You guys need your own thread to argue about it, literally 20 pages of this thread are you two talking about physics.

But if people can't argue about crap that means almost nothing, then how else will people measure their epeen?

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

But if people can't argue about crap that means almost nothing, then how else will people measure their epeen?

penis.jpg

I'm really looking forward to these cards being released :) not so i can buy one, so i can see Nvidia release their response to it so i can buy one of those!

I'm really looking forward to these cards being released :) not so i can buy one, so i can see Nvidia release their response to it so i can buy one of those!

I have to ask where is the logic behind this?

I have to ask where is the logic behind this?

Two companies going tit for tat wanting to outdo each other? Its good for consumers, who knows where we would be now in terms of GPU power and price if they weren't keeping each other on their toes :)