Cheap 4k 60hz monitor

heineygoat

Seiki have been giving us such good prices on 4k TV's, but we want a 4k monitor capable of 60Hz right?

Well lets tell them... 

UQsu1du.png

With enough support surely they will provide, So whose in? Post on their facebook, twitter, email them, let them know. I'm not sure how to get more attention (sudden idea, I'll do a giveaway!).

I wanted to post this in the General Discussion because no one really looks at this part of the forum but idk maybe Linus would mention it on the live stream, that would be sweet, I mean, he wants cheap 4k monitors too right?

Anyways lets push Seiki !

http://bit.ly/13hjAvo

“Snorting instant coffee is the best,” said Kayla Johns, 19, of Portland.

Asus have a 4k 60hz monitor... Over DP

The price is fairly good to.

Also it's only really pc's that use display port so it would probably cost to much to put it on a tv.

hello

Also it's only really pc's that use display port so it would probably cost to much to put it on a tv.

Their price is ~$4000

Seiki's prices are <$1500

If Seiki makes one it will surely be cheaper. 1000-1700 is considerable for me, 2000+ is just too much. 

at what price? didnt think it was released yet..?

(Comming soon)

Might want to put this in the OP.

http://bit.ly/13hjAvo

Thanks man will do, ill do a giveaway with it too soon.

at what price? didnt think it was released yet..?

3800, and yeah you can't actually buy them yet. Maybe their price would come down if Seiki had one for $1500 right? Lets push for competition from Seiki.

Fair enough. Didn't realize Seiki tv's were so cheap.

They're releasing a 39" 4K TV for $900 (or was it $700?) too. :)

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

$700  :D

The two things keeping me from buying it is 30Hz max, and it being a TV.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

The two things keeping me from buying it is 30Hz max, and it being a TV.

I wouldn't buy, but I love my 2560x1440p monitor and I can run games at max settings with it.

What's the big deal with 4K monitors? For productivity I think it would be useful but for gaming I just don't see the need. It would just be way too graphically demanding to become mainstream. As for TVs I think it's just pointless! Hell, most content on television is only 1080i and a lot of it is still broadcast in 720p. We are such a long way off of the content catching up to the technology.

I want a 4k monitor for general use and I'll probably game on one of my other 1080p monitors. I can see gaming on a 4k monitor but I don't think I'll have the funds to do so at a reasonable frame rate lol

Why would you want a Seiki TV or monitor though?  It's just like getting an unreliable monitor from Korea.  I'd much rather pay more for a 4k monitor by Asus or dell or another reliable company.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

What's the big deal with 4K monitors? For productivity I think it would be useful but for gaming I just don't see the need. It would just be way too graphically demanding to become mainstream. As for TVs I think it's just pointless! Hell, most content on television is only 1080i and a lot of it is still broadcast in 720p. We are such a long way off of the content catching up to the technology.

You could use it for productivity and then game on it at 1080p (upscaled) no problem.  Or if you have a GTX 780/690/Titan/7990 setup you could game at full 4K resolution.  The enct gen GPUs will also address higher resolutions.  Can you imagine Star Citizen at 4K?  That would be fricken awesome.  Don't be so short-sighted;  content will quickly catch up once there's a market for 4K.  Currently the only people with 4K TVs are the wealthy and enthusiasts.  If 4K goes to the masses (sub $2000), then more content producers will see the demand to shoot with and distribute 4K.  Big movies makers will also release 4K versions of movies already developed with 4K gear (such as The Hobbit), or at least 4K-ready versions that are somewhere between 1080p and 4K.

I think this is a great idea, tweet tweet.

Why would you want a Seiki TV or monitor though?  It's just like getting an unreliable monitor from Korea.  I'd much rather pay more for a 4k monitor by Asus or dell or another reliable company.

Have you ever thought about economics...supply/demand, changes in the market??? 

First of all, SEIKI isn't like Catleap or the other Korean monitors.  They are sold through legit vendors such as Sears, TigerDirect, and backed by online retailers like Amazon.  They have a legit 1 year limited warranty and the TVs have a functional On-Screen Display.  If they continue to undersell the 4K competitors (Westinghouse, Toshiba, Sony, Samsung, LG, etc etc) it will force prices down faster than would otherwise occur.  Which is good for those of use not wanting to overpay for a $4000 monitor, when similar (albeit inferior) technology can be had for only $700 (http://www.sears.com/seiki-39inch-class-4k-120hz-led-ultra-hdtv/p-05703146000P?sLevel=0&redirectType=SKIP_LEVEL).

Have you ever thought about economics...supply/demand, changes in the market??? 

First of all, SEIKI isn't like Catleap or the other Korean monitors.  They are sold through legit vendors such as Sears, TigerDirect, and backed by online retailers like Amazon.  They have a legit 1 year limited warranty and the TVs have a functional On-Screen Display.  If they continue to undersell the 4K competitors (Westinghouse, Toshiba, Sony, Samsung, LG, etc etc) it will force prices down faster than would otherwise occur.  Which is good for those of use not wanting to overpay for a $4000 monitor, when similar (albeit inferior) technology can be had for only $700 (http://www.sears.com/seiki-39inch-class-4k-120hz-led-ultra-hdtv/p-05703146000P?sLevel=0&redirectType=SKIP_LEVEL).

I understand that this should hopefully lower the prices of bigger manufacturers but it's still a not very well known brand and can only output 30Hz at 4k.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

You could use it for productivity and then game on it at 1080p (upscaled) no problem. Or if you have a GTX 780/690/Titan/7990 setup you could game at full 4K resolution. The enct gen GPUs will also address higher resolutions. Can you imagine Star Citizen at 4K? That would be fricken awesome. Don't be so short-sighted; content will quickly catch up once there's a market for 4K. Currently the only people with 4K TVs are the wealthy and enthusiasts. If 4K goes to the masses (sub $2000), then more content producers will see the demand to shoot with and distribute 4K. Big movies makers will also release 4K versions of movies already developed with 4K gear (such as The Hobbit), or at least 4K-ready versions that are somewhere between 1080p and 4K.

I think this is a great idea, tweet tweet.

Don't be so sure about the content being there when the resolution catches on. They said the same thing about 1080P years and years ago. Here we are, how many years later and there's just as much content for 1080p as there was 5 years ago. The only way to get 1080P is from Pay-Per-View or Blu Ray, that's it!

4k will be the exact same way, if not worse. To think networks and providers are going to pay a lot of money to make this content available to a select group of people is just wrong.

I'd love for it to happen but who knows if it will. If the content is there then I'll buy one, but not till its there.

I have a 32 inch Seiki 1080 that I got a couple years ago, I had never heard of them but the only HDMI port on my old TV died (I really hate HDMI because my ports always break) so I bought it because it was on sale so far it has been working great

Don't be so sure about the content being there when the resolution catches on. They said the same thing about 1080P years and years ago. Here we are, how many years later and there's just as much content for 1080p as there was 5 years ago. The only way to get 1080P is from Pay-Per-View or Blu Ray, that's it!

4k will be the exact same way, if not worse. To think networks and providers are going to pay a lot of money to make this content available to a select group of people is just wrong.

I'd love for it to happen but who knows if it will. If the content is there then I'll buy one, but not till its there.

True, but the last 5 years are nothing like the next 5.  The internet is changing everything. In the last 5 years we've seen an EXPLOSION of video content from the internet (youtube, netflix, hulu, amazon instant video, twitch, not to mention sites like The Verge who output several hours of HD content every week).  These are huge players, and they're only going to produce more and more content.  Consider if Linus started filming and uploading ALL of his videos as 4K (and lower) on youtube (okay, so it's not officially 4K, but it probably will be when they implement the VP9/HEVC compression standards, another huge factor that is coming within 2 years), that alone is a crap ton of content.  No, it won't happen tomorrow, but by 2015? Yep.  It won't be the most used resolution by then (1080p) but it will be available.  The whole reason many laptops went from relatively high resolutions (1920x1200, 1600x1050, 1440x900) to lower resolutions (most infamously 1366x768) in 2008-2009 is because internet video was crushing the capabilities of the mobile world at that time (mainly VERY poor battery life when attempting to drive higher resolution displays).  In the last 2 years we've seen a major change back to high-res, especially in the mobile world, because the technology is here.  Even Intel is focusing on driving more pixels more efficiently with their CPUs!!!  

Lastly, I expect Apple to take these changes to the living room within the next year.  And that will change everything.  Here's The Verge's latest Top Shelf video on Cable/TV, which tees up Apple for their TV launch: http://www.theverge.com/#ooid=RlbHR1YzoWnyG0yjN837GCQeRtLC5Ftz.  Apple did it with the iPod, iPhone, and iPad.  You can bet your ass they won't miss out on the transition to internet video consumption by not releasing a retina TV/monitor.  It fits well within their product stack, they're the only one's bold enough to attempt it, they just announced a tiny desktop MacPro that can run multiple 4K displays via Thunderbolt 2, and they have the money/licensing prowess to pull it off.  And the best part is that Apple lovers won't care if the "content isn't their," it doesn't matter because the content is right around the corner.  Again, when a big player like Apple starts selling thousands of 4K displays (in the next 18 months), you can expect someone to bring 4K content to those devices. 

Yep,

I'm fine with creating my own 4K content with video games. I don't think I need much else. :P

† Christian Member †