Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mac19pm

Bricking Your Device Horror Stories

Posted · Original PosterOP

I am sure at some point in our life we had to update update firmware or change a config setting in our network device's . Today myself i had a similar issue, when it happened i was like "shit none of these Pc's have a serial port on them" so me and my boss looked all around hoping to find a old PC's with a port. and lucky us packed away in the corner my boss whip out a old XP machines just so we could use a serial port to connect to router. Scary moment when your expensive network device become useless.

Was wonder if any of you had crazy story of  this happened to yourself?

I had jumped into a pool with a phone on, smart me immediately tried to turn it on. Afterwards I placed it in rice for ~2days, and it booted, and the screen was f'd up, and touch screen only worked for ~2 seconds after turning on the screen, in which I could turn off and on to use the phone to disable some features before I officially replaced it. (Samsung Galaxy S4)

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

My cat pissed on my old computer. It proceeded to catch on fire.

I hear cat stuff allot. Cat's always seem to become involved when it  comes to computers.  Whats up with that ? lol

Bricked a GTX 590 trying to flash a custom BIOS to it, also almost Bricked my first 770 trying to flash a EVGA SC Refrence cooler BIOS to it.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Ryzen Hero: |Dead|
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

A friend had the GPU of his MacBook Pro break... It briefly turned into a MacBrickPro until the epic technicians soldered a new GPU taken out of a similar MacBrick Pro...

My cat pissed on my old computer. It proceeded to catch on fire.

HAHAHAHA xD

Did it really catch on fire?

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!

I hear cat stuff allot. Cat's always seem to become involved when it  comes to computers.  Whats up with that ? lol

No idea, I found two of my cats napping in my server cabinet one winters day, though. Maybe they're drawn to the heat and low humidity.

Also, who did your icon?

accidentally bricked a clients iphone during a routine jailbreak restore

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Also, who did your icon?

I just did it myself with GIMP a few minutes ago, I was bored after watching the WAN show afterparty

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

I just did it myself with GIMP a few minutes ago, I was bored after watching the WAN show afterparty

Also, who did your icon?

Wait, crap. I thought you were talking about me. That's what happens when I don't sleep. Why can't we delete out posts? xD

Cat walks in case and poos on power supply an almost blows up pc.

Big Barry: CPU:I5-4690K|Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-H97 Gaming3|RAM:GeIL Evo 2x4GB|GPU:Gigabyte GTX 970 G1|Case:Corsair 760T Black|PSU:Thermaltake 650W |OS:Win 10

Cat walks in case and poos on power supply an almost blows up pc.

see them cats man! I am telling you IT and cat's, some one should make a repair company with a cat has there mascot.  

Teacher was sending me his notes when he accidently sent his virus he was making in our class

Big Barry: CPU:I5-4690K|Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-H97 Gaming3|RAM:GeIL Evo 2x4GB|GPU:Gigabyte GTX 970 G1|Case:Corsair 760T Black|PSU:Thermaltake 650W |OS:Win 10

see them cats man! I am telling you IT and cat's, some one should make a repair company with a cat has there mascot.  

I think there's a place like that here in Oregon.

Teacher was sending me his notes when he accidently sent his virus he was making in our class

That's a bit far-fetched. I don't buy it.

That's a bit far-fetched. I don't buy it.

don't believe me if you dont want to i don't mind

I attempted to wipe an Xbox 360 to make it into a small form factor gaming thingy once. That went well as you can tell by my posting it here obviously. 

Oh well, was able to just pick up another and tried it again xD

Short story short, neither worked.

Updated 2020 Build || 3700X || H115i pro || EVGA 2080 Super XC || 32gb HyperX Predator 3200mhz || NZXT h710 || Corsair RM750x || Beyerdynamic DT990 + Focusrite Baby Scarlett + MXL 770 || MSI MAG271cqr + Acer k272hulbmiip || 970 evo 1tb + 860 evo 1tb + 240gb kingston A2000  + ~1tb rando ssds + 1tb blue spinny boi ||

Bricked a GTX 770 Lightning trying to change the BIOS, got a replacement from MSI, gotta' love that MSI warranty on Lightning cards. I also destroyed an iPhone 4S back in the day trying to mod iOS. Not the best of days, the iPhone was brand new... :D

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900x @ 4.2GHz cooled by Arctic Liquid Freezer II | MBO: ASUS B450M Pro Gaming | RAM: GEIL Evo Potenza 16GB DDR4 3400MHz | GPU: Zotac GTX1080 Founders Edition | SSDs: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB and Transcend 370S 512GB | HDD: 1.5TB WD Green Drive | PSU: Corsair SF 600W | Case: Jansbo UMX3 S