MSI GS30 Shadow

ey b0ss

can I hab video plz

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Seems cool.

I can see some uses for this, it's not for me but I do know a few people that would use something like this.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Can you overclock the video cards? 

And why two 128GB SSD's why not just a single 256, I get raid but really was that needed?

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I view it as retarded to dock the laptop. I like alienware's solution because (at least on the 17, the only one with HDMI input) you can actually game on the laptop's screen and have the dock away from the laptop.  

With MSI's solution, you might as well just build a desktop. 

That's right. Alienware did something better.

That said, I'm glad to see desktop GPUs on laptops finally. As long as the interface is there, I can mod it to my uses likely. 

I would like somehting like alienware's solution avaible on a laptop the size of the msi one, and I would love other manufacturers to do video input like alienware has. 

They are the only one's that do it. 
It's a fucking pass-though. It's not hard or expensive. It's adds a lot, you can connect a game console or your desktop to it and game in bed. Game on the go. Use the laptop as a second screen. My m18x has it and it's fucking awesome and it sucks that only alienware  behemoths have it. It would be nice to have this on something light and thin. 

Seriously, laptop makers: 

DIRECT VIDEO INPUT
FUCKING DO IT. 

NOW.

TABLETS TOO. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Can you overclock the video cards? 

And why two 128GB SSD's, why not just a single 256?

Yes you can. It's just like a normal card. the traditional MXM laptop GPU interface is just mostly a repinned pcie, all this is doing is basically acting as an adapter. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Eh, they should at least put a GT860 or similar in it.....

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

"Simply put, ****ing awesome"

Expect to see that on MSI's marketing material

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Yes you can. It's just like a normal card. the traditional MXM laptop GPU interface is just mostly a repinned pcie, all this is doing is basically acting as an adapter. 

I figured out what the 12450 means...

You are a bit off  :P

On topic: It's cool and all but it sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

System: Thinkpad T460

Audio appears to be messed up from 9:06-9:17ish.

And, I'm sorry but @LinusTech, you're crazy. If the laptop itself was cheaper, and if the dock wasn't massive, and if they made the GPU box hot-swappable then it would be pretty cool....But as it stands now, it's just so much easier (and cheaper) to have a dedicated desktop for gaming + a laptop (with better battery life) for the same amount of money.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Not really.

The whole purpose is to have a lightweight Notebook for general work usage (although that MSI Gaming badge is a bit not work friendly) or day to day usage and then when you come home, dock it to your dock and have a baller gaming experience.

This product reeks of first Generation issues. I hope they continue to refine the idea and sell well enough to encourage other manufacturers to develop products as well

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Cool concept not for me though but not many things are. also thanks @nicklmg and 9:03-9:17 has no audio

I am the one who goes bump in the night... usually making a sandwich.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo White - Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe - CPU: Intel i7 5820k - RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz ddr4 - GPU: Dual EVGA gtx 980 SSC - PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 750w - Cooler: Custom PETG Loop on cpu and gpus - Storage: 500gb Samsung 850 evo ssd, 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 3tb hdd

Audio appears to be messed up from 9:06-9:17ish.

And, I'm sorry but @LinusTech, you're crazy. 

Can confirm both those as well. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

The circumference of earth is 24,901 miles at the widest point. 24,901/2 is 12450.5

Idk what I'm doing wrong there. 

muh specs 

All parts black

The circumference of earth is 24,901 miles at the widest point. 24,901/2 is 12450.5

Idk what I'm doing wrong there. 

nvm

I used a different measure

System: Thinkpad T460

nvm

I used a different measure

xD 

Considering I don't live on the equator, but rather in fort wayne, Indiana, I'm sure the max distance is shorter since the earth isn't perfectly round. 

muh specs 

All parts black

You guys should change what you put under the linustech tips banter each week, like how this time is was "do as we say not as we do". :)

I wish there was a surface pro 2 like laptop with a dual 8X PCIE dock.

HTID

that click to analyze at 7:57

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]