Laptop for $1000 USD

RevoltTrain

I've been looking into buying a laptop for use at work, home, and at friends' houses. I've got $1000 to spend and I want a nice, high quality, sexy looking laptop.

I've narrowed it down to two choices and was wondering what would be better

Dell XPS 13, or MacBook Air 13 

I know Apple isn't all that loved around here, but I personally do like their products. It would also be nice to have an Apple product in my rotation of devices.

I'm open to all suggestions for other laptops, but the MacBook Air 13 and XPS 13 are at the top of my list

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

I've been looking into buying a laptop for use at work, home, and at friends' houses. I've got $1000 to spend and I want a nice, high quality, sexy looking laptop.

I've narrowed it down to two choices and was wondering what would be better

Dell XPS 13, or MacBook Air 13

I know Apple isn't all that loved around here, but I personally do like their products. It would also be nice to have an Apple product in my rotation of devices.

I'm open to all suggestions for other laptops, but the MacBook Air 13 and XPS 13 are at the top of my list

What do you need it for? Are you just buying it to buy it? If that's the case, you would be better suited for a cheaper laptop that will work just as well.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

I like the Macbooks at my school...  Rather have a PC anyday but they are handy...

Why do you need a $1000 vs a $500 laptop?  It's not like you'll get stellar performance from either... 

You could even try Ubuntu on it :)

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

The OS is like a kind food, Try it before saying if you like it or don't.

What do you need it for? Are you just buying it to buy it? If that's the case, you would be better suited for a cheaper laptop that will work just as well.

Use for general internet browsing, Skype, some light video editing, watching movies, listening to music, just a lot of general tasks like that. The reason I ended up looking at those two specifically is the amazing build quality.

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

I do like macbooks, but I'm not really a fan of the air. You get a really slow dual core (4 threads), and the base is 4GB of ram, and much more expensive to configure with a reasonable amount of storage.It has a 1440x900 screen(reasonable). The XPS 13 also come with little storage on a base trim using an m.2 ssd, but it would be MUCH easier and cheaper to upgrade down the line than the macbook. The XPS come with a dual core as well, but much faster.

By contrast, the XPS 13 offers a 1080p ips screen. The battery life is comparable to the air, both pretty damn impressive.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Update-Dell-XPS-13-9333-Touchscreen-Ultrabook.113709.0.html

The screen is great. The reviewer's one had an issue with some stuck pixels or something, and he should have had it swapped, but it's still marked as impressive color wise and viewing angle wise.

There are some advantages to the air, but I really recommend the XPS 13 . It would be what I would go with, at least.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Use for general internet browsing, Skype, some light video editing, watching movies, listening to music, just a lot of general tasks like that. The reason I ended up looking at those two specifically is the amazing build quality.

If you want amazing build quality and much better performance, a lower end gaming laptop is where I'd recommend. Especially for video editing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232132&cm_re=asus_550-_-34-232-132-_-Product

And under $800 ^.^

RevoltTrain edit: Asus should pay me. BUT I have good luck with their gaming laptops, so :P

Just my recommendation here, only 5.5 pound, if I recall.

Edited by Prastupok

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Sounds like a cheaper one would suit you better.

As to your choice, I would choose the Macbook and scrap the OS with Ubuntu or Windows. (though MacOS will work very nicely too)

For the Best builds and Price lists here is a world where many points of the price have been predefined already for your convenience!

The Xeon E3 1231 V3 IS BETTER Than the Core i5 4690K and a Significantly better value for the non-overclockers or value shoppers.

If you want a Apple product, don't go somewhere asking people to talk you out of it.

Statistically, the MacBook Air is inferior in every way to the XPS 13.

Neither have a touch screen, so I would be looking elsewhere in general but here I go anyways:

--- Dell XPS advantages --- 

- Faster processor (2.7Ghz Core i5 compared to a 1.4Ghz Core i5)

- More RAM (8GB vs 4GB)

- Higher Resolution display (1920x1080 compared to 1440x900)

- Thinner (0.6 inches [thickest point] vs 0.68 inches [thickest point])

- Lighter weight (2.6lbs vs 2.96lbs)

- Better Graphics (Intel HD 5500 vs Intel HD 5000)

- Warranty Support (1 year vs 90 days)

--- MacBook Air advantages --- 

- Bigger battery (54wph vs 52wph)

- Better expansion (magsafe vs plug style/ thunderbolt vs no thunderbolt)

--- Compromises ---

- Mac vs Windows (pick which one suits you best, if you like to do a lot of things, don't go Mac.  But if you like specific things, don't go Windows)

Don't pick the popular choice.  I highly suggest you broaden your horizons to think of different options.  Both of these aren't really great for anything, and aren't really good for multiple things.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Sounds like a cheaper one would suit you better.

As to your choice, I would choose the Macbook and scrap the OS with Ubuntu or Windows. (though MacOS will work very nicely too)

I do quite like OS X, it's not as good as Windows IMO, but it would be quite nice to have an Apple device in my rotation of devices.

If you want a Apple product, don't go somewhere asking people to talk you out of it.

Statistically, the MacBook Air is inferior in every way to the XPS 13.

Neither have a touch screen, so I would be looking elsewhere in general but here I go anyways:

--- Dell XPS advantages --- 

- Faster processor (2.7Ghz Core i5 compared to a 1.4Ghz Core i5)

- More RAM (8GB vs 4GB)

- Higher Resolution display (1920x1080 compared to 1440x900)

- Thinner (0.6 inches [thickest point] vs 0.68 inches [thickest point])

- Lighter weight (2.6lbs vs 2.96lbs)

- Better Graphics (Intel HD 5500 vs Intel HD 5000)

- Warranty Support (1 year vs 90 days)

--- MacBook Air advantages --- 

- Bigger battery (54wph vs 52wph)

- Better expansion (magsafe vs plug style/ thunderbolt vs no thunderbolt)

--- Compromises ---

- Mac vs Windows (pick which one suits you best, if you like to do a lot of things, don't go Mac.  But if you like specific things, don't go Windows)

Don't pick the popular choice.  I highly suggest you broaden your horizons to think of different options.  Both of these aren't really great for anything, and aren't really good for multiple things.

It's not that I'm trying to be talked out of it. I'm just trying to figure out which will be better in my use case?

I do quite like OS X, it's not as good as Windows IMO, but it would be quite nice to have an Apple device in my rotation of devices.

It would also be nice to have one OS on all your devices to allow seamless integration between them :)

I think any $400-500 laptop would suit you well, buy a 128GB SSD too and your have something that can do what you need.  Then buy a GTX 970 for your real PC with the rest of that cash.

An cheaper alternative is this one:

Lenovo

It has specs that rival that Macbook (but a 768p screen vs 800p)  It would be good for a laptop used to be a laptop revolving around your PC which'll do the the heavy lifting and other stuff.