Ugh, C#

That Norwegian Guy

So, through a healthy interest in game design, I've got the NeoAxis engine to mess with. I have a pretty solid game plan, but I was always more of a designer/artist. I know the basics of pretty much everything I need to do (3D meshing, texturing, writing, pathing, world design, even audio and music production) - Now I feel like I know why so many game stories suck, because people who can start developing all on their own are programmers, not writers! Hehe.

Anyway, the big problem with NeoAxis is that there is no simplified scripting language within, just C#. I tried starting with "C# for dummies", compounding my misery, because even that expects a minimum prior understanding. I used to script a lot in Morrowind and Oblivion and messed around with Visual basic as a kid, but somehow C# eludes me.

The most advanced thing I've been able to do so far is to trigger a cutscene... By looking at example scripts and back-engineering how to set it off and a lot of trial and error, and I'm still not sure I have the most appropriate trigger, though it works.

I guess the bottom line is, where to begin? I just need to get a foothold on this, and I can start walking on my own.

That, or, are there any C# experts who would like a consulting gig in return for a stake in a currently non-existant company? LOL

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Well I'm not sure what level of knowledge you have of coding. Do you know the basics? Do you know the different variable types(int, float, string)? Do you know how to structure code into classes and objects?

AMD FX-4100(Temporary), MSI 990FXA-GD65, 8GB Dual-Channel DDR3, MSI 7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC, MSI Radeon HD 5450, Asus Xonar DGX, M4 128GB SSD, 1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD, 250GB Hitachi HDD, CoolerMaster Silent Pro 700W PSU, CoolerMaster Storm Scout, Corsair H50

Game development in C#? Try the Microsoft XNA framework. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=20914

CPU: 5820k 4.5Ghz 1.28v, RAM: 16GB Crucial 2400mhz, Motherboard: Evga X99 Micro, Graphics Card: GTX 780, Water Cooling: EK Acetal CPU/GPU blocks,

240mm Magicool slim rad, 280mm Alphacool rad, D5 Vario pump, 1/4 ID 3/4 OD tubing, Noctua Redux 140/120mm fans. PSU: Evga 750w G2 SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate SSHD 2TB Audio: Sennheiser HD558s, JBL! speakers, Fiio E10k DAC/Amp Monitor: Xstar DP2710LED @ 96hz (Korean Monitor) Case: Fractal Node 804

The C# environment is embedded in the engine source. As for my level of knowledge, I know it's object oriented and vaguely have an idea what it means. I made one working script that now runs the way I want it to but I bet it's full of mistakes that will lead to problems. I just need to wrap my head around the basic concept of the language, it's main idioms, and I can probably deduce my way forward. It's how I learned everything else in my life.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

What specific things are you having trouble with? Saying the whole language is like asking Linus what build to get? :)

AMD FX-4100(Temporary), MSI 990FXA-GD65, 8GB Dual-Channel DDR3, MSI 7950 Twin Frozr 3GD5/OC, MSI Radeon HD 5450, Asus Xonar DGX, M4 128GB SSD, 1TB Seagate Baracuda HDD, 250GB Hitachi HDD, CoolerMaster Silent Pro 700W PSU, CoolerMaster Storm Scout, Corsair H50

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that you're having a hard time figuring out C# syntactically? I'm guessing you understand the logical procession of a programming language, you just don't understand the language constructs of C#?

If that's the case, get a good book on C# that will guide you through learning the language constructs (something better than a For Dummies book). Or you can take a stab at it using Microsoft's guide to C#, but it assumes you have some prior knowledge of programming and neglects to explain the bare basics. Attached is a link to the C# Language Guide at through MSDN.