Gtx 980,Watts needed

Lefteriskost

Hey guys,I was wondering if a gtx 980 needs more than a 500w psu when the pc has the following specs,The 980 I am talking about is the gigabyte one 

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k

Mobo: MSI H87-G43 Gaming

Ram:DDR3 Corsair 8gb 1600MHz

SSD: Samsung 128GB/WD 1TB 64 MB Blue

PSU:Corsair Builder Series 500W V2

Cooler:Corsair Hyrdo H100i

500W will be fine. 

I'd recommend getting the EVGA Nova 600W so that you don't need a new PSU if you SLI.

No, should be fine with what you have.

500W will be fine. 

I'd recommend getting the EVGA Nova 600W so that you don't need a new PSU if you SLI.

Ehhh, 600W might be cutting it a bit close for SLI, especially if things are being overclocked.. Generally people like to recommend 700-750 as being the minimum for dual-GPU configurations.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

You'll be fine with the 500w. 

500W will be fine. 

It will be fine with a CX500, but a higher quality and wattage PSU is recommended if overclocking.

Thanks guys I am going to use like that for now and buy a new psu later 

500W will be fine. 

If he's getting a new PSU with the intentions of SLIing later, he definitely shouldn't get a 600W. I wouldn't dare run SLI 980s with a 750W PSU even.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

No, should be fine with what you have.

Ehhh, 600W might be cutting it a bit close for SLI, especially if things are being overclocked.. Generally people like to recommend 700-750 as being the minimum for dual-GPU configurations.

If I do Sli I will buy a 850w psu just to have some room anyways,but thanks :D

I wouldn't dare run SLI 980s with a 750W PSU even.

why not ...?!?!?!?!?!

a single 980 draws less than 200 watt ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

My system with a 4790K @ 4.8GHz and a Strix GTX-980 @ 1375 MHz base clock I use ~330W max with valley and cinebench running. 500W is more than enough.

A 750W PSU would be just fine for two way 980SLI.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

why not ...?!?!?!?!?!

a single 980 draws less than 200 watt ...

It's just recommended that SLI 980s use an 850W or higher PSU.

And I believe that PSUs are at their most efficient when the power drawn is ~2/3 or ~3/4 of what the PSU can actually do. Don't take my word for this 100% because PSU talk gives me a headache, lol, but that's what I've read.

Then again I may have no idea what I'm talking about. LOL.

Привет товарищ ))))

Also interested in knowing if it's okay to sli 980s with a 750w psu

750watts should be more than enough.

There are tons of reviews online that show a single 980 and everything else (CPU, HDD, RAM, fans ect) taking less than 400watts total (usually around 300-350watts under load).

Example:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/21

And I believe that PSUs are at their most efficient when the power drawn is ~2/3 or ~3/4 of what the PSU can actually do. Don't take my word for this 100% because PSU talk gives me a headache, lol, but that's what I've read.

guess what ... 2 (non oced) 980 in SLI bundled with a X79 system draw less than 450Watt from the wall.

So a 600-650 Watt PSU would be optimal according to your rule.

Add some ocing and a 700-750W would be optimal according to your rule.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

guess what ... 2 (non oced) 980 in SLI bundled with a X79 system draw less than 450Watt from the wall.

So a 600-650 Watt PSU would be optimal according to your rule.

Add some ocing and a 700-750W would be optimal according to your rule.

That's why I said I have no clue what I'm talking about. :lol:

I find that PSU choosing is the most terrible part of building a rig, I just think it's a safer bet to go with an 850W PSU with the 980s.

Yeah, I know. My statements are completely illogical. Haha.

Привет товарищ ))))

You are right in saying that PSUs are most efficient when they're at roughly 50-60% load (ehh, it really depends on the PSU), but the efficiency difference between 70% load and 80% load isn't really big enough to worry about. As long as the PSU has enough capacity to power what it needs to power (and good quality, reputable brand, correct cables, etc, etc), it doesn't really matter that much. Maybe a few dollars per year with normal usage.

i7 not perfectly stable at 4.4.. #firstworldproblems

Basic rule of thumb is buy a power supply that can provide 25% more power than your system is rated at. As an example, my system below is rated at 382W per pcpartpicker. I plan to SLI my 980 in the future so I added a 2nd card to config and got 542W.

25% of 542 is 135 which comes out to 677W with 25% overhead.

I bought a 750W XFX XTR series card to support this in the future, more than enough by calculation with room for overclocking.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

If he's getting a new PSU with the intentions of SLIing later, he definitely shouldn't get a 600W. I wouldn't dare run SLI 980s with a 750W PSU even.

Even a 550W is perfectly fine. 

Four 980s in the LMG test rig will still be fine with a good quality 650W.

http://youtu.be/UnS0xWtoRzk?t=4m23s

"Rawr XD"

Also interested in knowing if it's okay to sli 980s with a 750w psu

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

I figured with my 860W, I can run my current hardware, plus easily 2 GTX980 (maybe 3 if I'm feeling daring) - and that's with Haswell-E which is far from the most power-efficient setup.

This calculator seems pretty legit, and factors in your existing hardware from fans to pumps. You'd be surprised how many Watts a water cooling loop or even multiple fans will use.

750w is fine for sli 980s my rig dual oc 980s to 1556 and 5820k @4.6 1.350v pulls 630w peak from the wall. I wouldn't do 3 way but for now it's fine.

I am the one who goes bump in the night... usually making a sandwich.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo White - Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe - CPU: Intel i7 5820k - RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz ddr4 - GPU: Dual EVGA gtx 980 SSC - PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 750w - Cooler: Custom PETG Loop on cpu and gpus - Storage: 500gb Samsung 850 evo ssd, 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 3tb hdd

Hey guys,I was wondering if a gtx 980 needs more than a 500w psu when the pc has the following specs,The 980 I am talking about is the gigabyte one

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k

Mobo: MSI H87-G43 Gaming

Ram:DDR3 Corsair 8gb 1600MHz

SSD: Samsung 128GB/WD 1TB 64 MB Blue

PSU:Corsair Builder Series 500W V2

Cooler:Corsair Hyrdo H100i

My 4690/gtx980 system pulls 320watts from the wall while benchmarking fire strike.

I reckon you will be fine

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.