Amps on LEDs

Go to solution Solved by W-L,

This is assuming your are using a 12V LED strip and running the fans lower than 12V if you want your fans full speed you can just connect everything to 12V instead.

nTvOmRW.png

Hello, I have one simple quiestion and that is are amps important when connecting LEDs? I want to connect switches that will turn on or off fans in my case, so when fans are on LEDs should light on. Power should go trought 4 pin molex connector.

if youre powering it through molex theres no need to worry about amps

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Hello, I have one simple quiestion and that is are amps important when connecting LEDs? I want to connect switches that will turn on or off fans in my case, so when fans are on LEDs should light on. Power should go trought 4 pin molex connector.

If your using a 12V LED strip they have resistors built into each strip of LED's so there is no need for any modification except plugging it into 12V in your case I would suggest adding a switch on the GRD line for both the fans and LED which will turn both on or off at the same time.

If your using a 12V LED strip they have resistors built into each strip of LED's so there is no need for any modification except plugging it into 12V in your case I would suggest adding a switch on the GRD line for both the fans and LED which will turn both on or off at the same time.

First thanks for reply. Secodly I would like to connect LED's above the switch. So + from switch (PSU) to + on LED and - on switch to - on LED.

Dont worry about LED power draw if thats your concern.

Dont worry about LED power draw if thats your concern.

My concern is that I may burn LED's :P

First thanks for reply. Secodly I would like to connect LED's above the switch. So + from switch (PSU) to + on LED and - on switch to - on LED.

As long as it's not over 12V it's pretty much safe inside a system. As for the switch you don't nee to complete cut off a circuit as in having the switch turn off both + and - leads in the circuit it's convention to place the switch on the + end of the lead to prevent any power form even reaching a device/load, but in your case I assume you want your fans to be on a lower voltage than 12V for silence. So instead placing the switch end on the - lead and cutting the circuit will give you the same result but it allows you to power a both the LED's and fans. I'll draw up a diagram in a min.

It depends on LED strip you are going to use. 

Most of them come with included resistors so you can connect it on 12V directly. If not you will have to calculate resistor value and add it.