Are there any good amp/dac's for around £50

Weirdybeardyman

They tried to cover up one of their very expensive amps killing headphones.

Yeah, because Schiit is totally responsible for idiots plugging headphones into a preamp out designed for speakers. :huh:

Yeah, because Schiit is totally responsible for idiots plugging headphones into a preamp out designed for speakers. :huh:

Um. That wasn't it. It was a headphone dac/amp. Made for headphones...

Um. That wasn't it. It was a headphone dac/amp. Made for headphones...

It has both, dude.

Do you even know what you're talking about?

Here's the case, involving nwavguy, the original founder of O2: http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/07/banned-at-head-fi.html

It does actually. They tried to cover up one of their very expensive amps killing headphones. If people are mad at the stupid gtx 970 vram thing then they should be furious at schiit. Based on principle alone, I would never give them a cent of my money. Also they look ugly on top of it.

http://nwavguy.blogspot.nl/2011/07/banned-at-head-fi.html

Thanks for pointing this out. Yeah, this is really bad. Doesn't take away that the output impedance of the Syba is really bad.

Perhaps a cheap Fiio?

So..?

The back has the preamps out...

They obviously weren't using the back for headphones. Who would plug headphones in the back?? I still haven't seen you make an intelligent comment on this whole thread.

So..?

The back has the preamps out...

Schiit never implemented the soft on/off relay protection in their asgard 1, which was implemented later in their asgard 2. And no, if it's a case of people plugging their headphone to the line out RCA jacks, they won't have a case. Schiit would just dismiss the case as misusing the product. 

They obviously weren't using the back for headphones. Who would plug headphones on the back?? I still haven't seen you make an intelligent comment on this whole thread.

As the great Confusius said: 'there's a cure for everything, except death, broken heart, and stupidity....'

They obviously weren't using the back for headphones. Who would plug headphones in the back?? I still haven't seen you make an intelligent comment on this whole thread.

People you want to use 2 pairs of phones frequently plug one in the front and one in the back.

Schiit never implemented the soft on/off relay protection in their asgard 1, which was implemented later in their asgard 2. And no, if it's a case of people plugging their headphone to the line out RCA jacks, they won't have a case. Schiit would just dismiss the case as misusing the product. 

As the great Confusius said: 'there's a cure for everything, except death, broken heart, and stupidity....'

I fail to see how Schiit is responsible for any wrong doing.

They did offer a retrofit fix to owners of the Asgard.

The problem was (mostly) not that the issue happened. The problem is how they handled it. Although in my opinion it throws some doubt on their development process; are they actually measuring their products, or are the numbers on their website pure fantasy?

People you want to use 2 pairs of phones frequently plug one in the front and one in the back.

I fail to see how Schiit is responsible for any wrong doing.

They're is such a thing called a splitter... Most people would think of that before thinking of an rca to 3.5mm converter...

Also it blatantly destroyed headphones. What about that do you not understand? They had a product that was causing damage. I don't think you can get more of schiit's fault than that.

They're is such a thing called a splitter... Most people would think of that before thinking of an rca to 3.5mm converter...

Also it blatantly destroyed headphones. What about that do you not understand? They had a product that was causing damage. I don't think you can get more of schiit's fault than that.

The Asgard was meant for super high impedance and planar headphones. The AKG K702s in that video are 62 ohm cans.

You can't use such high sensitivity cans with the Asgard. The damage done was still user error.

The Asgard was meant for super high impedance and planar headphones. The AKG K702s in that video are 62 ohm cans.

You can't use such high sensitivity cans with the Asgard. The damage done was still user error.

No, it wasn't.

It was dumping a large DC voltage into the cans at turn-off. This is BAD regardless of the impedance of the cans.

They did offer a retrofit fix to owners of the Asgard.

The problem was (mostly) not that the issue happened. The problem is how they handled it. Although in my opinion it throws some doubt on their development process; are they actually measuring their products, or are the numbers on their website pure fantasy?

Yeah, Lays lyr also didn't have that soft relay, but they fitted for him for no charge, except shipping. I don't think they ever issue an official statement, 'yes, there is a flaw, our bad'  It's kinda classic 'swept under the carpet' policy...

Like the great Confusius said, there's a cure for....oh you know the rest.....

No, it wasn't.

It was dumping a large DC voltage into the cans at turn-off. This is BAD regardless of the impedance of the cans.

It's a brute force amp... what other purpose could it have?

Schiit never said it had a soft power cycle either. They never advertised falsely.

A poor design choice? Most definitely.

Foul play? Unlikely.

Like the great Confusius said, there's a cure for....oh you know the rest.....

Being a dick for the sake of being a dick doesn't help you win hearts and minds...

Being a dick for the sake of being a dick doesn't help you win hearts and minds...

Hmmm? I was quoting Confusius on death, broken heart, and stupidity. Does it concern you? Do you feel it concerns you? 

Hmmm? I was quoting Confusius on death, broken heart, and stupidity. Does it concern you? Do you feel it concerns you? 

And it goes right over his head... smh

It's a brute force amp... what other purpose could it have?

Schiit never said it had a soft power cycle either. They never advertised falsely.

A poor design choice? Most definitely.

Foul play? Unlikely.

The purpose of an amp isn't to put out direct current.

The purpose of an amp isn't to put out direct current.

Indeed. On/off pop happens though without a soft power circuit.

Indeed. On/off pop happens though without a soft power circuit.

Quite. And designing a headphone amp without such protection is dumb.

Either way, it doesn't explain the massive amount of handwaving that occurred once the issue came up. Schiit could have said what you did, but that wasn't what happened.

No as other people above me already pointed out. Also you're mixing up impedance and sensitivity. They're not the same thing. The AKGs are low impedance but fairly low sensitivity as well which is what makes them a relatively harder to drive headphone. 

Quite. And designing a headphone amp without such protection is dumb.

Either way, it doesn't explain the massive amount of handwaving that occurred once the issue came up. Schiit could have said what you did, but that wasn't what happened.

That's pretty standard practice amongst most companies.

No as other people above me already pointed out. Also you're mixing up impedance and sensitivity. They're not the same thing. The AKGs are low impedance but fairly low sensitivity as well which is what makes them a relatively harder to drive headphone. 

My Note 3 can drive them to uncomfortable volumes... they can't be that hard to drive.

You two are are reminding me of this time I had a conversation with a wall, difference beng the wall made valid points and was smarter then this one.