When will 4K become the standard for monitors?

DrZauis

I was under the assumption that the OP was talking about monitors.

Even with monitors, the percentage of people that actually know what 1440p is TINY.  There's a reason it's less than like 5% of the "monitor population" on steam's surveys, and that's STEAM, A PC BASED COMMUNITY.

Edit it's not even 5%, it's 1%.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Even with monitors, the percentage of people that actually know what 1440p is TINY.

And the same percentage that don't know what 1440p is, cannot push 4K.

| Intel i7 5820K @ 4.8GHz | G.Skill Ripjaws 4X4GB | X99 PRO | HoF 980 | Asus MX299Q | Sennheiser HD600 |

God damn... I was just looking at monitor prices and you can find some 4K monitors for like the same price as 1440p monitors.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

And the same percentage that don't know what 1440p is, cannot push 4K.

Define "push"

It's relative to what you're playing. You can play Dota/LoL with a 960 @ 4k.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I think the hardware is still way too expensive at this point, using gaming as an example. Building a machine that can run games at high at 1080p 60FPS is relatively cheap when compared to the 4K equivalent.

I'd really like to go to 4K but at this point the amount of money required is just too high.

I honestly believe that 1440P will be coming into most homes in 2 - 3 years.

4K will be atleast 5 years.

1440p will be skipped.

4K monitors are already as cheap as their 1440p equivalents.

The hardware to drive 4K monitors is already here.

If you want to game on it, you can just lower the resolution to 1440p or 1080p, as scalers in recent 4K monitors are quite good.

What we need for 4K to really take off on the mass market are lower prices. (which we will see throughout 2015 and even more so in 2016)

edit: written on a 4K monitor :P

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Just to put it in to perspective.. Not even all Cable Companies allow 1080p Broadcasting. I have DiSH Network and they have 720p and 1080i, with some movie channels as exceptions. 

Perhaps the possibility of 2 standards maybe? 1080p and 4K as the more premium choice. 

Then maybe 1080p will fizzle out and 1440p brcome a new standard and 5K the next premium resolution? 

many, many people use 1080p or less. basically 98%.

monitors dont get outdated and usually dont die either, i dont see a higher resolution becoming mainstream in the next 7-8 years.

mainstream users usually only update their monitors when it dies or the new monitor offers really a lot more, not just a few more pixels which many people (for example my dad) wont even notice.

Just to put it in to perspective.. Not even all Cable Companies allow 1080p Broadcasting. I have DiSH Network and they have 720p and 1080i, with some movie channels as exceptions. 

They will have to step up their game if they want to compete in the future.

Netflix is already streaming some of its content in 4K.

Other streaming services will follow.

Just wait if Apple will get into the pay-per-month streaming game ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Between six months ago and two years for enthusiasts/prosumers (a lot of people on this forum) and 3-5 years for your average PC gamer is my guess. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

many, many people use 1080p or less. basically 98%.

monitors dont get outdated and usually dont die either, i dont see a higher resolution becoming mainstream in the next 7-8 years.

mainstream users usually only update their monitors when it dies or the new monitor offers really a lot more, not just a few more pixels which many people (for example my dad) wont even notice.

7-8 years is more than an exaggeration. The would mean 1080p would be the standard for 18~ years. That just doesn't happen. Everything in the world is pushing for more pixels at a cheaper price. Phones have 1440p screens now, and 4K cameras are hitting price points that are comparable to DSLR cameras, which in them selves are a premium. 4K TVs are under $1,000 now, and 4K Monitors are around that mark too. PC Hardware is only one or two architectures away from 4K gaming at a $200-300 pricepoint. 

i despise there being a SINGLE standard...

according to steam there are two which are used by the overwhelming majority:

1366x768 - 26%

1920x1080 - 33%

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

both 16:9 - what a fucking shame

Laptops should NOT have 16:9.

And desktops SHOULD have 21:9 or something.

4k can go fuck itself tbh, much rather have 3440x1440 a standard for desktop monitors.

But if it was a totalitarian regime under my word, id make the laptop standard be 3000x2000 and desktop+projector standard be 5000x2000.

i despise there being a SINGLE standard...

according to steam there are two which are used by the overwhelming majority:

1366x768 - 26%

1920x1080 - 33%

both 16:9 - what a fucking shame

Laptops should NOT have 16:9.

And desktops SHOULD have 21:9 or something.

4k can go fuck itself tbh, much rather have 3440x1440 a standard for desktop monitors.

But if it was a totalitarian regime under my word, id make the laptop standard be 3000x2000 and desktop+projector standard be 5000x2000.

Someone is a 21:9 fanboy.. 

7-8 years is more than an exaggeration. The would mean 1080p would be the standard for 18~ years. That just doesn't happen. Everything in the world is pushing for more pixels at a cheaper price. Phones have 1440p screens now, and 4K cameras are hitting price points that are comparable to DSLR cameras, which in them selves are a premium. 4K TVs are under $1,000 now, and 4K Monitors are around that mark too. PC Hardware is only one or two architectures away from 4K gaming at a $200-300 pricepoint. 

7-8, not 18.

i know that cameras are pushing 4k content, but these devices are only used by a very small group of people.

Phones have 1440p screens now

the lg g3 does. 

this is a very high end phone. we are far away from this becoming mainstream (1440p on phones is useless anyway).

the majority of the people havent even gotten 1080p on their phones.

i know that you can have 4k tv' for under $1000 and i actually see 4k on tv's becoming a thing in the forseeable future. but this is about monitors, tvs are mainstream, monitors are not.

and we were not talking about gaming either. gamers are the minority of pc users. 

PC Hardware is only one or two architectures away from 4K gaming at a $200-300 pricepoint.

for gaming at higher resolutions you need a better monitor and a better gpu. those combined will be more than 200-$300 even two generations from now on.

we are enthusiasts, 4k might be a thing for us, but for the mainstream market? no.

7-8, not 18.

i know that cameras are pushing 4k content, but these devices are only used by a very small group of people.

the lg g3 does. 

this is a very high end phone. we are far away from this becoming mainstream (1440p on phones is useless anyway).

the majority of the people havent even gotten 1080p on their phones.

i know that you can have 4k tv' for under $1000 and i actually see 4k on tv's becoming a thing in the forseeable future. but this is about monitors, tvs are mainstream, monitors are not.

and we were not talking about gaming either. gamers are the minority of pc users. 

for gaming at higher resolutions you need a better monitor and a better gpu. those combined will be more than 200-$300 even two generations from now on.

we are enthusiasts, 4k might be a thing for us, but for the mainstream market? no.

I said 18 years before 7-8 years down the line would make it 18 years as the standard. 1080p was kind of the standard come 2005-ish. Even consoles supported 1080p in 2006. 

I said 18 years before 7-8 years down the line would make it 18 years as the standard. 1080p was kind of the standard come 2005-ish. Even consoles supported 1080p in 2006. 

1080p was definitely not the standard in 2005. no way.

standard would be ~80% i would say, that was not the case in 2005.

in 2014 33% of steam users (remember, steam users are a very small minority who is at least somewhat tech-savvy) had 1080p. 27% has 768p. you cant tell me that 1080p was the standard in 2005, it isnt even the standard these days.

1080p was definitely not the standard in 2005. no way.

standard would be ~80% i would say, that was not the case in 2005.

in 2014 33% of steam users (remember, steam users are a very small minority who is at least somewhat tech-savvy) had 1080p. 27% has 768p. you cant tell me that 1080p was the standard in 2005, it isnt even the standard these days.

You can't just look at Steam. Look at movies. Look at YouTube content. Everywhere. The "standard" doesn't refer just to what Steam users use. It refers to content as a whole. By 2008, which mind you is seven years ago, YouTube had support for 1080p playback. My mom bought an old off-the-shelf Gateway desktop in 2004, which came with a 1080p monitor. Blu-Ray discs were common for HD content back in 2006 / 2007. 1080p has been around for a lot longer than you think. Don't just one one page for statistics to get your numbers.

You can't just look at Steam. Look at movies. Look at YouTube content. Everywhere. The "standard" doesn't refer just to what Steam users use. It refers to content as a whole. By 2008, which mind you is seven years ago, YouTube had support for 1080p playback. My mom bought an old off-the-shelf Gateway desktop in 2004, which came with a 1080p monitor. Blu-Ray discs were common for HD content back in 2006 / 2007. 1080p has been around for a lot longer than you think. Don't just one one page for statistics to get your numbers.

well, standard is what people use, not whats available.

and of course, steam gamers are not representitive for all people using pc's, but if one group uses better hardware over all, its definitely the steam users. you actually just argued against yourself.

and steam survey with mutliple 100.000 pc's is way more representitive than your mom. come on.