How To Overclock a "Non-K" CPU

The ultimate guide to overclocking YOUR non-k cpu!. given how confusing most of the information is on the internet about actually overclocking a supposed totally locked CPU I figured I would do a rough guide/basis to overclocking a non 'K' series CPU.

Of course this doesn't come without caveats so there are still criteria for it that need to be met..

If like me you bought a 'locked' CPU (and then found out you can actually overclock it) then this guide may be of use.

So what is the criteria that I need to meet?

Firstly if you bought a non 'k' series CPU then it needs to be either an I5 or I7. I don't know much about Ivy Bridge CPUs but I do know that the feature you need in order to achieve a decent overclock is definitely on the I5/Xeon*/I7 Sandy Bridge CPUs..

But hang on, non 'k' series CPUs are completely locked, right?

The answer to that, as always, is not simple. Non 'k' series have a locked clock multiplier but certain CPUs that meet the correct criteria do have an element of overclocking left in.

Intel even boasted about this when they were released but sadly most of the people reviewing and looking at them took for granted that they were completely locked because the actual K series were unlocked. It isn't true however so let's crack on to how you go about this.

Firstly take a look at this. This slide was released by Intel when they first released Sandy Bridge CPUs. It sat next to a slide showing a fully unlocked graph.

limitedoverclock.jpg

Note : Intel refer to the non K chips that can be overclocked as "Limited Unlocked".

OK so let's get the criteria sorted out.

First and foremost if you are using a non 'k' series cpu please put the model number into Google and go to Intel's ARK web page and look at the listed specs for your CPU. What you are looking for is Turbo Boost.

If your CPU does not have Turbo Boost listed as a function then your CPU is completely locked I'm afraid. As an example this is a Xeon E3 1220 listing and it clearly shows that the CPU supports Turbo boost.

xeonspecturbo.jpg

And here is the ARK information on the I3. Note : No I3 CPUs support Turbo Boost so there is no "Limited Unlock" available.

intelI3noturbo.jpg

OK. So now you have pretty much deciphered whether or not you can make use of this "Limited Unlock". If you can then here is a rough guide as to how you do it.

Note : Intel made it even more sneaky by listing the overclock as bins. Whether or not they did this on purpose to make it harder to work out? I don't know, but, that is definitely the result they achieved IMO. Of course they wanted people to pay extra for an unlocked K chip, so they made it seem like without one you were completely locked.

Intel's bins are basically clock multiplier cycles or, in layman's terms multipliers for overclocking.

You are limited to four bins meaning you can add 4x onto your Advanced Turbo Multiplier.

As an example let me explain what that means.

Intel Xeon E3 1220 runs at 3ghz non Turbo Boost. With Turbo Boost enabled it clocks itself to 3.4ghz on one core, 3.3ghz on two cores and 3.2ghz on either three or four cores.

We can easily lock that speed to always run the maximum speed.

However, to do this overclock we need to keep it enabled. Note - I am going to explain this using a MSI motherboard (Z77a) as a rough guide. Your board will be different so please bear that in mind. Also, I can only really confirm this to work on Z77 chipsets but you may find the option in other boards.

Before we do that however let's look at another way to get more speed out of our overclock.

FSB or BCLCK overclocking

Said by many to be very dangerous and, to quote "Leave it alone it can kill your hardware". Again, this is something Intel intended us to believe but it's more complicated than that so I will try to explain it.

You can use the bclck (or FSB) to gain a small overclock. Even though it may seem insignificant it all adds up in the end considering that with your total turbo overclock you are gaining 800mhz over the base speed of your CPU on bins alone.

The reason it has been said to be "dangerous" to overclock the bus on 1155 is because of what's tied to it.

Note - It's actually very hard if not impossible to damage your CPU or motherboard by overclocking the bus. What it is likely to do however is corrupt your Windows install and give you visual artefacts

The reason is simple. On socket 1155 boards and CPUs the FSB is tied to the PCIE lanes and the memory and the hard drives. If one of those becomes unstable then you will encounter problems. So, here is my advice.

Before you overclock your BCLCK or FSB make sure you have imaged Windows to a separate drive. If you corrupt your install then simply turn off the overclock and reconnect your other drive.

It has been said that the BCLCK can be pushed to 110mhz. Personally I wouldn't aim for anywhere near that so I would try and get 103-106mhz. With this you are remaining in a pretty safe realm.

But hang on, 3-5mhz is pretty pathetic, right?

I will agree it sounds like it yes. However, when you multiply that by the CPU's multiplier it soon adds up.

For example, let's say you are running your CPU at stock speed with no "limited unlock overclock".

Let's say that with the standard turbo you get 3.4ghz. That's 34 x "X" where X is your FSB speed. Let's assume you manage to get 106mhz, that will give you an added...

34 x 6 = 204mhz. It sounds quite small but hey, it all adds up. Now you have a stock CPU running 3.6ghz instead of 3.4. That's why I have advised you to do this first as this is the difficult part. The better you can get it stable the better your end results will be because remember, anything you can add to the fsb will also be multiplied with your later overclock !

So that quite pathetic sounding 204mhz will become 408 extra mhz by the time we are finished. See? it doesn't sound so pathetic and pointless now.

OK, so now that we have a stable BCLCK overclock (I ran 106mhz in Prime 95 for over two hours totally stable) it's time to move onto the 'Limited Unlock" overclock that Intel has granted us..

To do this part will vary greatly depending on your motherboard, the bios and how it is laid out and so on. However, using an MSI it goes like this, and, I would imagine it's similar in other boards as these names were put out by Intel.

So, you have a non K CPU with Turbo Boost, now's the time to make use of our free overclock.

Go into your bios.

Look for an option labelled Intel EIST or just EIST

That should open up the option to enable or disable Turbo Boost.

Note - if you have it disabled (or EIST) you are locked out. Make sure EIST is enabled then, make sure Turbo Boost is enabled.

Now that you have done that you need to find Advanced Turbo Boost as this is the option you need to have enabled in order to gain access to the screen that allows you to overclock The Turbo Boost feature.

Enabled Advanced Turbo Boost. Now I'm afraid it's a bit of a crap shoot, because the multiplier you are looking for can be very well hidden, like in the case of the MSI board I am showing you here. However, if we go through a couple of menus right at the bottom of one is something called CPU features and here is where we can overclock our Turbo Boost.

wol_error.gif This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768.

QMk73.jpg

Now by all accounts this multiplier actually goes higher than 4 bins (or cycles) however if you go more than 4 then the overclock simply won't work.

You need to know all of your CPU's speeds in various states, then work out the actual turbo speeds for -

1 Core
2 Cores
3 Cores
4 Cores

Once you have done that you can set 4 more bins or cycles into the drop down box and then apply it and save and reboot.

And, you should now have your overclock. Other options may be needed (IE - bumping up your voltage or callibration) but without the FSB clock Intel are pretty certain that your CPU can run this overclock without touching the voltage.

Have fun overclocking you non-k cpu!

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

XFX Needs To Make A 3 Fan Cooler 

Good job dear sir, may the noscopes forvever be in you favour

I3-4150 | Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | 8GB KINGSTON FURY RAM | MSI Z97-G43 | HYPERX FURY 120GB SSD SAPPHIRE HD7950 VAPOR-X | Phanteks Enthoo Pro M | EVGA 500W | Corsair SP120's w/ NZXT Fan Hub

Plans: I5-4690K || EVGA GS 650W | KINGSTON FURY 8GB RAM  PCPARTPICKER: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/

Already did this myself (see my sig) , but good to see someone step up and provide info to the masses.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

The ultimate guide to overclocking YOUR non-k cpu!. given how confusing most of the information is on the internet about actually overclocking a supposed totally locked CPU I figured I would do a rough guide/basis to overclocking a non 'K' series CPU.

Of course this doesn't come without caveats so there are still criteria for it that need to be met..

If like me you bought a 'locked' CPU (and then found out you can actually overclock it) then this guide may be of use.

So what is the criteria that I need to meet?

Firstly if you bought a non 'k' series CPU then it needs to be either an I5 or I7. I don't know much about Ivy Bridge CPUs but I do know that the feature you need in order to achieve a decent overclock is definitely on the I5/Xeon*/I7 Sandy Bridge CPUs..

But hang on, non 'k' series CPUs are completely locked, right?

The answer to that, as always, is not simple. Non 'k' series have a locked clock multiplier but certain CPUs that meet the correct criteria do have an element of overclocking left in.

Intel even boasted about this when they were released but sadly most of the people reviewing and looking at them took for granted that they were completely locked because the actual K series were unlocked. It isn't true however so let's crack on to how you go about this.

Keep in mind though, if you overclock one of these CPUs, chances are it will void your warranty.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Good job dear sir, may the noscopes forvever be in you favour

You mean nutshots right?

9590|EK-Copper|Sabertooth 990FXR2.0|16GB RIPJAWS Z|Dual MSI Gaming 290|Corsiar AX1200i|Corsair 760T|3TB Seagate+Dual 120GB Samsung 850EVO in Raid 0

LTT'S Official Radeon Master Race Club Founder-Predicts TitanX2 (Prediction Date: 3-30-15)

Please note this is only really applicable to Sandy & Ivy Bridge, Haswell doesn't have the +4 bins (above turbo) functionality.

Example:

i7 3770: 3.5Ghz Stock 3.9GHz Turbo

Can set all cores to 3.9GHz turbo, and then you can set it to go up +4 bins, this would mean you can run all cores at 4.3GHz

i7 4770: 3.5GHz Stock 3.9Ghz Turbo

Can set all cores to 3.9GHz and that's it.

And this belongs in Guides & Tutorials.

Look at that. A useful post :) for that I can forgive you posting it in the wrong section ;)

I have heard that raising the multiplier is no longer possible in after-sandy locked cpus though, make sure you check on that to make sure.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Look at that. A useful post :) for that I can forgive you posting it in the wrong section ;)

I have heard that raising the multiplier is no longer possible in after-sandy locked cpus though, make sure you check on that to make sure.

It's not

This is the way I overclock on my FX. You can add a lot more to the FSB on an AMD chip. I went +20 MHz once.

Cool that you posted a guide. I might try this on my 4440.

I have question - this OC only goes when CPU needs it right?? It does not force CPU run at max all the time???

Intel i7 2600 @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI Z77-GD55 | Crucial 16 GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz | Intel 330 SSD 180Gb | Western Digital Black 1Tb | Western Digital Green 2Tb | Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti | OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W | Thermaltake Commander MS-I case | OS X Yosemite | Dell Vostro 3550 Windows 10

Intel Xeon 1230 V2 | Gigabyte GA-H61M-S | Kingston 4Gb RAM 1333Mhz | Seagate 1TB  | Fractial Design Arc mini | Windows 10

I have question - this OC only goes when CPU needs it right?? It does not force CPU run at max all the time???

No you can to enter Bios and manually overclock it yourself.

No you can to enter Bios and manually overclock it yourself.

No, my question is - if i do this overclock, will it force to run my cpu at 100%  all the time (even without load) or it is just when CPU will be under load it will go to this OC frequency???

Intel i7 2600 @ 4.2 Ghz | MSI Z77-GD55 | Crucial 16 GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz | Intel 330 SSD 180Gb | Western Digital Black 1Tb | Western Digital Green 2Tb | Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti | OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W | Thermaltake Commander MS-I case | OS X Yosemite | Dell Vostro 3550 Windows 10

Intel Xeon 1230 V2 | Gigabyte GA-H61M-S | Kingston 4Gb RAM 1333Mhz | Seagate 1TB  | Fractial Design Arc mini | Windows 10

No, my question is - if i do this overclock, will it force to run my cpu at 100%  all the time (even without load) or it is just when CPU will be under load it will go to this OC frequency???

just when CPU will be under load it will go to this OC frequency

Thanks. I will OC tomorow. Will post results.

Is Haswell able to boost all cores to its maximum turbo speed, without the +4 bin part? Part of the reason I bought a non-K cpu was because I thought I could just set the 4-core turbo to max turbo speed and call it a day, but apparently the option is nowhere to be found in the MSI UEFI.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

Is Haswell able to boost all cores to its maximum turbo speed, without the +4 bin part? Part of the reason I bought a non-K cpu was because I thought I could just set the 4-core turbo to max turbo speed and call it a day, but apparently the option is nowhere to be found in the MSI UEFI.

No only for sandy/ivy bridge...

No only for sandy/ivy bridge...

What a shame, thanks though. Wish I had asked on LTT before I started buying parts way back then.

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S | MB: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra | Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Blackout | SSD1: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | SSD2: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | HDD1: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | HDD2: Seagate Barracuda 4TB | Monitors: Dell S2716DG + Asus MX259H  | Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 (Cherry MX Brown) | PSU: Corsair RMx 850W

no problem on any mobo whatsoever? i have 1150 chip but I have a colleague here that will be buying an ivy bridge locked i5..
not sure if he'll be interested in overclocking it though..

and he's only getting a 750 with that cpu

Ok, today I got this far on my Z77A-GD55- could not find Advanced turbo boost. I enabled Enhanced turbo boost and it opened to me option to change CPU multiplier from 33 to 37. Did that. Went in OS - it does reconize it, everything is fine 3,7 Ghz for Xeon E3 1230 V2.

But in the same menu that is in your picture for me there is no lower part with 1 - core ratio limit, 2 - core ratio limit etc.

If you can, can you point exact way where to enable it (in wich menu), because i cant get it working.

-Snip-

Very nicely written and informative guide, thank you good sir. Im planning on buying a Z87 / Z97 Gigabyte oc force board (actually just because of the color) and i will defnetly try this! 

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

• 2 years later...
19 minutes ago, turtley said:

Will this work with Z68 motherboards?

This thread is over 2 years old. Please don't necro

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220