Poor FPS Minecraft with GTX 970 G1

Benefitz
Go to solution Solved by DeathRtH,

Picture of JVM Arguments: http://puu.sh/fD9Ev/1d3d5d6fc4.png

Picture of ingame usage: http://puu.sh/fD9Q5/51634a1751.jpg

I still don't know what to do :/ 

First, I recommend running 4G instead of 8G and make sure you set an -Xms.

For example the JVM arguments I use are

"-Xmx4G -Xms4G -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:-UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -Xmn128M -XX:MaxPermSize=512M"

Perm size wont effect you if your on java8 so you can opt to ignore that part.

Second can you take a screenshot of your minecraft video settings as that could be helpful?

Have you tried using java 7 instead? Most mod devs I know recommend staying with 7 as 8 has a handful of issues with minecraft.

Finally, have you checked your nVidia control panel for javaw.exe? minecraft.exe is just the launcher so settings there wont help.

Wow, at least people on this thread didn't tell you that your computer was shit in an attempt to get their troll game on like they did when I made a thread like this.. :lol:

Honestly OP, I have no clue. I can't seem to get anything over 18fps in Minecraft on my rig, and that's with SLI 970s, and giving Minecraft 8 gigs of RAM because it constantly crashes and tells me it's run out of memory.

I think it comes down to Minecraft being an absolute POS. You know it's bad when you get more fps in DayZ.

Odd, I play quite a few pre made and custom modpacks. (The custom packs I use have about 115+ mods average) and I never need more than 4G.

What java version are you running?  If your still on Java 7 you could try adding more permgen and that *may* help. 

Most other games that I run usually get a good FPS with the 970, but for some reason, minecraft only reaches a max of ~75 FPS, which is really disappointing since it's not making the most of my 144hz monitor. With Shaders installed, the framerate drops even more, to like 20-30. Other games like Battlefield 4 run at around 100 fps, which is confusing me because minecraft certainly doesn't seem as GPU intensive as BF4.

Could it possibly be a bottleneck? My pc specs are on my profile so please check that for bottlenecks

Just wondering if theres something wrong with my 970 or if minecraft is really GPU intensive.

EDIT

Ingame Screenshot: http://puu.sh/fD9Q5/51634a1751.jpg

EDIT 2

Reinstalling the whole game to see if it makes any difference.

EDIT 3

No difference. I've also noticed that no matter what I do, I cannot get FPS over exactly 72, graphics are on absolute minimum and It will not go over 72

What AA are you running? Dropping that from 16 to 8 I noticed a 300% increase in frames.

Most other games that I run usually get a good FPS with the 970, but for some reason, minecraft only reaches a max of ~75 FPS, which is really disappointing since it's not making the most of my 144hz monitor. With Shaders installed, the framerate drops even more, to like 20-30. Other games like Battlefield 4 run at around 100 fps, which is confusing me because minecraft certainly doesn't seem as GPU intensive as BF4.

Could it possibly be a bottleneck? My pc specs are on my profile so please check that for bottlenecks

Just wondering if theres something wrong with my 970 or if minecraft is really GPU intensive.

based on your specs, that makes absolutely zero sense.

What launcher are you using it may require more RAM allocation, press F4 and check on the top right hand corner how much you have and how much your using if its around 60-80% allocate more.

Have you have set the FPS meter to unlimited in the video settings? If I do that I get ~800FPS in a cave, ~300FPS outside.

CPU: i7-4790K --- HEATSINK: NZXT Kraken X61 --- MOBO: Asus Z97-A --- GPU: GTX 970 Strix --- RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG --- SSD: 512GB MX100 | 256GB BX200 HDD: 1TB WD Black --- PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 --- CASE: NZXT H440 --- DISPLAY3 x Dell U2414H --- KEYBOARD: Pok3r (Clears) --- MOUSE: Logitech G Pro --- OS: Windows 10

"Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.40GHz"

your CPU is fine, i have the 4590 @3.3 with a 760 and i get 400+ fps

turn down mipmap and anostropic filtering (no AA in minecraft unless you use optifine)

speaking of optifine, GET IT!!!!!

http://optifine.net/downloads.php

My Car: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/?p=4442206

CPU: i5 4590 |Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4|Memory: Corsair Vengance 8gbs|Storage: WD Caviar Blue 1TB|GPU: ZOTAC GTX 760 2gb|PSU: Thermaltech TR2 500W|Monitors: LG24M35 24" & Dual 19"|Mouse:Razer DeathAdder 2013 with SteelSeries Qck mini|Keyboard: Ducky DK2087 Zero MX Red|Headset: HyperX Cloud|Cooling: Corsair 120mm blue LED, Lepa vortex 120mm, stock 120mm|Case:Enermax Ostrog Blue Windowed

based on your specs, that makes absolutely zero sense.

What doesn't make sense? Have I poorly explained?

What AA are you running? Dropping that from 16 to 8 I noticed a 300% increase in frames.

Where is the AA settings? Are you talking about Render Distance?

"Intel Core i5 4670 @ 3.40GHz"

your CPU is fine, i have the 4590 @3.3 with a 760 and i get 400+ fps

turn down mipmap and anostropic filtering (no AA in minecraft unless you use optifine)

speaking of optifine, GET IT!!!!!

http://optifine.net/downloads.php

Mipmap is now set to off, and no improvement

Where are AA settings?

Have you have set the FPS meter to unlimited in the video settings? If I do that I get ~800FPS in a cave, ~300FPS outside.

Yes, It's on unlimited - still ~70fps

Yes, It's on unlimited - still ~70fps

Maybe do a clean install of the game, then try again without mods.

CPU: i7-4790K --- HEATSINK: NZXT Kraken X61 --- MOBO: Asus Z97-A --- GPU: GTX 970 Strix --- RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG --- SSD: 512GB MX100 | 256GB BX200 HDD: 1TB WD Black --- PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 --- CASE: NZXT H440 --- DISPLAY3 x Dell U2414H --- KEYBOARD: Pok3r (Clears) --- MOUSE: Logitech G Pro --- OS: Windows 10

What launcher are you using it may require more RAM allocation, press F4 and check on the top right hand corner how much you have and how much your using if its around 60-80% allocate more.

Maybe do a clean install of the game, then try again without mods.

Yeah, I'll do that if other solutions don't work.

Go into the settings and turn off vsync

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Go into the settings and turn off vsync

I have a 144hz monitor, so that isn't a problem

It's off anyway, no improvement still...

I have a 144hz monitor, so that isn't a problem

It's off anyway, no improvement still...

If reinstalling the game doesn't fix it, I would also try reinstalling the java run-time on your computer. And any driver updates that are available. 

Download more fps if no other solution works.

On serious note, it could simply be the settings in game. Try fiddling with it.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

Wow, at least people on this thread didn't tell you that your computer was shit in an attempt to get their troll game on like they did when I made a thread like this.. :lol:

Honestly OP, I have no clue. I can't seem to get anything over 18fps in Minecraft on my rig, and that's with SLI 970s, and giving Minecraft 8 gigs of RAM because it constantly crashes and tells me it's run out of memory.

I think it comes down to Minecraft being an absolute POS. You know it's bad when you get more fps in DayZ.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

"-Xmx4G -Xms4G -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:-UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -Xmn128M -XX:MaxPermSize=512M"

Second can you take a screenshot of your minecraft video settings as that could be helpful?

Have you tried using java 7 instead? Most mod devs I know recommend staying with 7 as 8 has a handful of issues with minecraft.

Finally, have you checked your nVidia control panel for javaw.exe? minecraft.exe is just the launcher so settings there wont help.

Odd, I play quite a few pre made and custom modpacks. (The custom packs I use have about 115+ mods average) and I never need more than 4G.

What java version are you running?  If your still on Java 7 you could try adding more permgen and that *may* help. 

EDIT

Ingame Screenshot: http://puu.sh/fD9Q5/51634a1751.jpg

EDIT 2

Reinstalling the whole game to see if it makes any difference.

EDIT 3

No difference. I've also noticed that no matter what I do, I cannot get FPS over exactly 72, graphics are on absolute minimum and It will not go over 72

Try these things:

Reinstall Graphics Drivers and when you do so, do the clean install where it deletes nVidia control panel settings.

Start game with "Run with graphics processor" and of course pick nVidia. 

Also, as some others might have mentioned, Minecraft isn't really that optimised. My friend with a 3 year old laptop has 300fps+ while I(4790k and gtx 970) only get 70-80fps

Optifine is a good FPS booster, seems to optimise Minecraft quite a bit. 

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

EDIT 3

72 is half of 144, so you have vSync (Half refresh rate) turned on, either in Nvidia control panel or hardcoded into the game.

As for your other questions, Minecraft is a CPU-bound game. The GPU has very little impact on performance in it. A 3570K computer will output the same FPS with a GTX 460 as with a Titan Black.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Whatever that line of code is worked perfectly, it seems fixed currently, thankyou,