LG 29UM65 Ultrawide how to game at 1920x1080?

Snowmirage
Go to solution Solved by Snowmirage,

Aha!! Now we're getting some place.  So the original slider mentioned by eelnico09 seems to be the key

Changed windows resolution to 1920x1080 and even the windows desktop appeared as diablo was.  went into Catalyst "My Digital Flat-Panels" > "Scaling Options" which was greyed out when it was set to 2560x1080 and at 1920x1080 I could move and set the slider.  Moving it all the way to the right as eelnico09 mentioned streched the desktop to take up the full height of the screen.

Saved that setting change resolution back to 2560  loaded Starcraft and now it is full height at 1920x1080!  Thank you all for the help!

After seeing the Linus review on the LG 29UM65 I fell in love, with the monitor... not Linus....  ;)

I've tried several games and they're BEAUTIFUL in native resolution 2560x1080

But Some just dont support it (Diablo 3 is my current issue).

How can I get other games to display correctly at 1920x1080?  What I assume is correctly is full height using all of the monitor top to bottom and 1920 pixels wide leaving black bars only on the sides.

In Diablo 3 at the moment, I can either get it to stretch the max 1920x1080 resolution to not quite the edges of the screen distorting the image or by changing an image setting on the monitors OSD I can get it to display the correct aspect ratio but its not taking up the full height.

Here's a picture so you can see my issue.

Little black bars on the top and bottom  :(

Anyone seen this before by chance have an idea on how to correct it?

Running multiple other monitors at the same time as aux displays (2 others currently) on an R9 280 

20150207_232724_zpssdbbc6xr.jpg

Project EGOR - Overkill on a budget

Go to the catalyst, under Scaling options there's a little bar, move it all the way to the right to Overscan.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

Go to the catalyst, under Scaling options there's a little bar, move it all the way to the right to Overscan.

this. My 1080P monitor has black bars all the away around. your monitor is just doing the same

Managed to find that setting Scaling Options (Digital Flat-Panel) I select the LG display but that scaling slider is greyed out (and apparently already all the way to the right on Overscan) there is a check box below that says

"Use the scaling values instead of the customized settings when the desktop resolution does not match your DFP resolution"

Tried checking that box, the slider is still greyed out and it doesn't appear to change anything.  Diablo still appears as the image above.

Any ideas? 

Managed to find that setting Scaling Options (Digital Flat-Panel)

Any ideas? 

this. My 1080P monitor has black bars all the away around. your monitor is just doing the same

GPU scaling is different from the GPU Overscan.

Go to Catalyst Control Center, find My Digital Flat-Panels click properties, and TICK Enable GPU upscaling then tick Scale image to Full panel size.

gpuscaling3.jpg

Select the MIDDLE option.

This is for when say.. 3D mark for example (but any game under native res), uses 720p for performance preset, instead of a 720p box centered, with surrounding bars top and bottom with the image the center of your screen, it will populate the entire screen to it's edges.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Hmm maybe Diablo is just really hating this monitor or something.  Found that setting and set it for Scale image to full panel size for the LG monitor but diablo still appears the same as before.... maybe I'll have to try something else at 1920x1080 to see if other games work  Unless its my video driver version or something

So now I'm just confused .... I hopped into Starcraft 2 quick to test that.  It loads up and looks as expected takes up full vertical area of the screen.  I check the resolution its set at 1680x1050 (no idea why? maybe I miss clicked last time I played it a year ago on my old monitor which was 1920x1200).

I change it to 1920x1080 and it does the same thing Diablo 3 does (see image in first post).

I'm lost here... any ideas?

I noticed when I mouse over "Scale image to full panel size" option in the image SkilledRebuilds posted it says "not always available on the secondary display" the LG is set as my "main display" in windows but it does show up as number "2" in the screen display in windows.  No idea if this has anything to do with it or not just hoping something rings a bell to someone.

So now I'm just confused .... I hopped into Starcraft 2 quick to test that.  It loads up and looks as expected takes up full vertical area of the screen.  I check the resolution its set at 1680x1050 (no idea why? maybe I miss clicked last time I played it a year ago on my old monitor which was 1920x1200).

I change it to 1920x1080 and it does the same thing Diablo 3 does (see image in first post).

I'm lost here... any ideas?

Set Windows Resolution to 1080p and go thru Catalyst again and make sure everything is set as it should be...

Maybe it needs to be applied again on each resolution (altho mine doesn't). Overscan to the far right, and GPU upscaling ticked...

If it is already, I'm lost too.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Aha!! Now we're getting some place.  So the original slider mentioned by eelnico09 seems to be the key

Changed windows resolution to 1920x1080 and even the windows desktop appeared as diablo was.  went into Catalyst "My Digital Flat-Panels" > "Scaling Options" which was greyed out when it was set to 2560x1080 and at 1920x1080 I could move and set the slider.  Moving it all the way to the right as eelnico09 mentioned streched the desktop to take up the full height of the screen.

Saved that setting change resolution back to 2560  loaded Starcraft and now it is full height at 1920x1080!  Thank you all for the help!

After seeing the Linus review on the LG 29UM65 I fell in love, with the monitor... not Linus....  ;)

I've tried several games and they're BEAUTIFUL in native resolution 2560x1080

But Some just dont support it (Diablo 3 is my current issue).

How can I get other games to display correctly at 1920x1080?  What I assume is correctly is full height using all of the monitor top to bottom and 1920 pixels wide leaving black bars only on the sides.

In Diablo 3 at the moment, I can either get it to stretch the max 1920x1080 resolution to not quite the edges of the screen distorting the image or by changing an image setting on the monitors OSD I can get it to display the correct aspect ratio but its not taking up the full height.

Here's a picture so you can see my issue.

Little black bars on the top and bottom  :(

Anyone seen this before by chance have an idea on how to correct it?

Running multiple other monitors at the same time as aux displays (2 others currently) on an R9 280 

20150207_232724_zpssdbbc6xr.jpg

I play Diablo 3 at 2560x1080 without any issues.  Fullscreen (Windowed) mode should do the trick. :)

post-186305-0-68229000-1423378028_thumb.

Don't try to go 21:9 on blizzard's game. They don't want you to do that for equality reason... But as @LasersPewPew suggest. The windowed full-screen works for diablo.

Big Daddy build log:

i7 4930K @ 4.6 GHz | Corsair Obsidian Series 900D | ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition X79 | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3-1866 CL9 | EVGA GeForce GTX780Ti Superclocked (+200/+450)
Overclock.net link: http://www.overclock.net/t/1495006/build-log-big-daddy-900d-4930k-780ti#post_22450375

Don't try to go 21:9 on blizzard's game. They don't want you to do that for equality reason... But as @LasersPewPew suggest. The windowed full-screen works for diablo.

I also play World of Warcraft, and it actually has the resolution listed under system settings. So they do support that resolution. Not sure about Starcraft 2. Haven't played that in a long time.