Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Windspeed36

Build Plan Thread Recommendations (Please read before posting)

you aim for gaming* your aim is gaming* you're aiming for gaming*

My bad - wrote it on an iPad and it always does that to me.

good job. i find it hard to write on a table without a Keyboard

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
                                                                                      :o 

suggestions and thoughts are very welcome

CM Storm Stryker Gaming Big Tower Vifter: 2x 120mm Front, 1x 200mm Topp, 1x 140mm Bak, M/XL-ATX, USB 3.0, Vindu

HyperX Predator DDR4 2666MHz 16GB 4x4

Corsair RM850, 850W PSU ATX 12V V2.4, 80 Plus Gold, Modular, 6x 6+2-pin PCIe, 10x SATA, 8x Molex, 2x FD

Gainward GeForce GTX 970 4GB PhysX CUDA  x2

HyperX Fury SSD 240GB 2,5" SATA3.0, 7mm, SF-2281, 500/500MB/s

Intel Core i7-5820K, Socket-LGA2011-3 6-Core,3.3GHz,15MB,140W,22nm,28 PCIe lanes,Haswell-E,Boxed,No fan incl.

Intel TS13X Liquid Cooling Solution Socket-LGA1150/1155/1156/1366/2011

MSI X99S SLI PLUS, Socket-2011-3 ATX, DDR4, 4xPCIe-x16, USB3.0, SLI/CFX, M.2

I think the OCZ ARC-100 240GB is better bang for your buck and it's super stable.  It's almost a commercial grade SSD at an extremely competitive price.

Any comments/suggestions/advice?

Multi-purpose build:  numerical/monte carlo modeling (needs lots of CPU horse power), optical/ray trace design (needs lots and lots of RAM), and gaming (need GPU horsepower).  Primarily a work computer, but I want to be able to play any game I want.  Location is US (Florida)

CPU:                           Intel Core i7 5960X (I will overclock)

CPU Cooler:               NZXT Kraken X61

Mobo:                         ASUS X99 Deluxe

RAM:                          64GB G.Skill DDR4 2800 MHz

GPU:                          2x GALAX GTX 980 HOF (SLI)

Case:                         Thermaltake Core V51

PSU:                          Seasonic Snow Silent 1050W

Drive:                         Samsung XP941 512GB (boot)

Drive:                         Samsung 850 Pro 1TB applications/games

Drive:                         2x WD Caviar Black 4TB RAID1 data/storage/backups

Display:                     3x Samsung S27D590C

OS:                           Windows 7 professional or ultimate (64 bit) or Windows 8.1 professional (64 bit)

I want a fast boot and fast loading of applications/games.  My Monte Carlo simulations require over 1,000 trillion floating operations each (time (hr) = ~750/CPU GLFOPS).

I also need an OS that will let me remote into the system.  I will be using a laptop sometimes to control/start numerical simulations and ray trace.

Budget is $7,500 - $8,000

Alright my fellow friends. Its time for me to ask for advice. 

Now It has come to my realization that my pc is absolute junk.  (I dont even have a gpu)

So is my monitor and pretty much all of the things I use with it.

My budget is 1000$. It can go higher but it is my preferred budget mainly because I can get it by summer and be able to game in summer break (the aim of the whole system is gaming with a bit of editing. I have the motherboard and case that you will see in the build I made my self but I just need help with the cpu recommendations and graphics card. This is all in Canadian $$$$. Also if buying a new monitor mouse and keyboard will sacrifice my performance then forget them. Ill just use the peripherals I have now to be able to play then get the peripherals after a month or 2. So here is my build (remember motherboard and Case have already been purchased and are being shipped.)

thanks for the help

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/TwGQMp

Budget: Sub $200 including only CPU, Mobo, RAM. Absolute maximum $250.

Aim: Websurfing, Youtube and local video playback (mainly 1080p), Playing only really minimalistic flash games, and even serving as a homeserver for filesharing (about 12-14h per day)

Monitors: One 28" 1080p TV

Peripherals: I have a wireless keyboard/mouse combo, so do not include it in the price. I also have a copy of Windows. The other thing not to include is a case - I am planning on using this one. SSD and HDD I also have.

Why I am upgrading? - I am not upgrading, but building a new Mini-ITX system. It will work kind of as a HTPC, but also a homeserver. The catch is that the components will all have to fit in the case I showed you, and that's why I think a sub-65W CPU will do best. And that probably means Intel, however, there are some AMD options as well. 

First option: Celeron G1620, H61MV-ITX, ADATA XPG 4GB 1600MHz x1 memory - $124

Second option: AMD A4-5300 or A4-6300, Asrock FM2A75M-ITX, G.SKILL 4GB VALUE 1600M C11 1.5V - $172

Third option: Intel Pentium G3258, Gigabyte H81N, ADATA Premier Skill 1333MHz 4GB - $186

Give your ideas... It's important that I would be able to find the parts you say in Bulgaria, because I cannot order from abroad, however, you suggest and I'll tell you if it is possible or not. Of course, all the parts from the three above options I can find. There is also a difference in prices, but don't worry, I'll inform you in that too. Thanks.

If I might make a suggestion, this is how I'd format the original post of this thread.

New Post Guidelines And General Information

The following are simple steps you must take in order to receive the best help possible.

Two-Step Request Process

Step 1

- Are you buying in at least three days?

No - Make or Bump your topic at least three days before you're ready to buy.  Prices change very quickly, and deals don't last long.

Yes - Proceed to Step 2.

Step 2

- Fill in the appropriate form below.

PC Builds

- Budget:

- Zip Code or Location:

- Specific Use:

- Any preferred components?:

- Any spare parts you can re-use?:

- Overclocking your processor?:

- Need an Operating System?:

- Need a Monitor? / Mouse? / Keyboard?:

- Need a Wireless Card or Adapter?

- Need Another Component? (Specify):

Other Useful Info

- Preferred Case Features (Ex: Color, Side Window, Flashy):

- Number of Monitors:

- Other Info?:

PC Upgrades / Replacements

** You must post your current system specs.  The easiest way is to download Speccy, install it, run it, and post a screenshot of the results. **

- Budget:

- Zip Code or Location:

- Part(s) to Upgrade or Replace:

Laptops / Netbooks / Tablets / Everything Else

- Budget:

- Zip Code or Location:

- Specific Use:

- Preferred Features:

Things to Remember

1. Be nice.

- None of us get paid to help you.  (Not yet, at least....)

2. Pick a budget, and stick with it.

- Options change when budgets change, and the help you already get will be wasted.

3. If you're unsure of the help you receive, wait for others to respond.

- There are some people here who may give questionable advice.  They will eventually be weeded out.

4. We will stretch your money as far as it will go.

- However, unreasonable requests will get you unreasonable responses.

5. Don't ask for a pre-built computer.

- The only exception is if you're buying more than two computers for office use.

- You'll get better performance for your money if you buy the parts and assemble it yourself.

- If you insist on buying one, consider buying a laptop.

- If you still insist on buying one, remember that this is a Computer Building forum.

*****Shouldn't this be a sticky!?!?********

I am addicted to building gaming PCs but I don't have a great reason to stop...yet...

I was wondering if this build would be enough to play Minecraft and TF2.

CPU-Amd A6-6400k

MOBO-ASRock FM2A78M-HD+ Micro ATX FM2+

RAM-G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600

HDD-Western Digital Scorpio Blue 120GB 2.5" 5400RPM

SSD-Seagate Momentus Thin 500GB 2.5" 5400RPM

CASE-Enermax ECA3253-BW ATX Mid Tower

PSU-EVGA 500W ATX12V / EPS12V

Optical Drive-Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer

Keyboard and Mouse-Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle w/Optical Mouse

FAN-Cooler Master SickleFlow (2)

Running Linux Ubuntu, but upgrading parts and os later on.

Hello This is my first build I live in california I plan on speanding no more than $850 I will be running one monitor at 1080p. I plan on running mostly league of legends as well as some steam games that I know this system will handle perfectly. here is the parts list CPU-AMD athlon x4 760k CPU cooler-Cooler Master Vortex Plus 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler mother board-Asus A78M-E Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard RAM-G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory storage-Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive GPU-Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB STRIX Video Card case-Corsair SPEC-01 RED ATX Mid Tower Case PSU-Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply windows 7 monitor-Acer S220HQLAbd 60Hz 21.5" Monitor wifi card-Asus PCE-N53 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter headset-Corsair Vengeance 1500 v2 7.1 Channel Headset here is the part list on pcpart picker. note: I am not quite sure what wifi card to get but this one had very decent reviews so I am settled on this one for now. Also I live in a very very small house and would like this system to be as quiet as possible. If I have enough money left over I would also like to purchase a new mouse so any way to downsize the cost would be great. Thank you everyone!

I was wondering if this build would be enough to play Minecraft and TF2.

CPU-Amd A6-6400k

MOBO-ASRock FM2A78M-HD+ Micro ATX FM2+

RAM-G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600

HDD-Western Digital Scorpio Blue 120GB 2.5" 5400RPM

SSD-Seagate Momentus Thin 500GB 2.5" 5400RPM

CASE-Enermax ECA3253-BW ATX Mid Tower

PSU-EVGA 500W ATX12V / EPS12V

Optical Drive-Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer

Keyboard and Mouse-Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle w/Optical Mouse

FAN-Cooler Master SickleFlow (2)

Running Linux Ubuntu, but upgrading parts and os later on.

It doesn't appear that you have a gpu but if that is all you plan to play get nothing more than a gtx 720/730 also if you are using pcpartpicker.com then please provide the link

Alright my fellow friends. Its time for me to ask for advice. 

Now It has come to my realization that my pc is absolute junk.  (I dont even have a gpu)

So is my monitor and pretty much all of the things I use with it.

My budget is 1000$. It can go higher but it is my preferred budget mainly because I can get it by summer and be able to game in summer break (the aim of the whole system is gaming with a bit of editing. I have the motherboard and case that you will see in the build I made my self but I just need help with the cpu recommendations and graphics card. This is all in Canadian $$$$. Also if buying a new monitor mouse and keyboard will sacrifice my performance then forget them. Ill just use the peripherals I have now to be able to play then get the peripherals after a month or 2. So here is my build (remember motherboard and Case have already been purchased and are being shipped.)

thanks for the help

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/TwGQMp

Hello I am currently planning on building a pc for about the same cost as you though I must ask what intend to play with it. I do live in CA so prices will definitely be different. Please also consider getting a less wattage and cheaper PSU because you will not need that much power (unless you are planning on getting multiple GPUs) also you might want to get a gold PSU. I prefer NVIDIA over AMD and I'm sure that a 750ti will run whatever you want just fine and it is a value card. I also appreciate opinions on my computer too.http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PDgpRB note: you will need a wifi card if you are not able to hook up to ethernet.

This is a rig I am planning to build in a month or two and I would really appreciate some feedback. Budget is around $1600 USD and the things I would be using it for the most is PC gaming and video editing. I need a keyboard and mouse as well. I have one monitor as of right now and it is a Benq XL2420TE and will be getting a second a little bit after the build. Thanks for your guys help.

CPU
83244e8e2a0e9660fd44d93ef7455222.thumb.j
  $260.00         CPU Cooler
91e1372cfc568bfec8b1d357976e8fe2.thumb.j
  $50.00         Motherboard
dba98867a4851faefdf591fb0d24a17d.thumb.j
$139.99       $139.99         Memory
d621fa463d73ed4e3a6caa6fcc24d1b5.thumb.j
$164.64       $164.64         Storage
80c8da746a14519be9e5824de597deae.thumb.j
$69.99       $69.99          
cfae225dd3e43bf766ab1468189a4703.thumb.j
  $50.00         Video Card
a1d05a0a4efed358d442be21c88a285f.thumb.j
  $200.00          
a1d05a0a4efed358d442be21c88a285f.thumb.j
  $200.00         Case
c82a46937677af867306640f385674cf.thumb.j
        $79.99 Newegg               Power Supply
2a190d1ec7f1bd8debc715e1902c17a2.thumb.j
$89.99       $59.99 Newegg               Optical Drive
059d1d84c199aaed5a1e4bf1099e6b4e.thumb.j
$19.98       $19.98         Operating System
b6c673581634c47a223971ff5deca57f.thumb.j
  $85.00         Case Fan
e2b0b7bdb9f134192eaeb2b3f41f0c1b.thumb.j
$11.99       $11.99          
e2b0b7bdb9f134192eaeb2b3f41f0c1b.thumb.j
$11.99       $11.99         Keyboard
8feafc390fdc8ecdbd6be4d857549c0b.thumb.j
$129.62       $129.62         Mouse
89a616799ea3a883eca7f13c140fbdeb.thumb.j
$53.30       $53.30  

bruh, PLEASE DO NOT GET 2 760 GET ONE 970, thank you

1. Budget & Location
You may have listed a heap of parts that all add up to your preferred budget but it is easier if you just list the total amount you'd like to spend and the currency as well as if you'd consider going above that budget for more performance. We need the location as well because $US are different to $AUD and $CAD ect.

I'm from the United Kingdom and have about £1,000 to spend on a new system
The only parts I need are;

CPU; i7 4790k
RAM; Corsair Vengeance 16GB
GPU; nVidia GeForce GTX 970
Motherboard; Not sure.
(Maybe a new power supply. My current one is a Corsair CX750M which might not be powerful enough for the new components.)

2. Aim

My aim is to be able to stream and play a video game ideally on max settings at about 720p resolution with a decent FPS to Twitch via Open Broadcasting Software.

3. Moniters

I've already got two identical moniters they are Hyundai X90W which are good enough for now.

4. Peripherals

I've already got all the peripherals I need.

5. Why are you upgrading?

I'm upgrading because at the moment I am streaming from a really old PC using a HD PVR (which recently broke.) and from my PS4 but consoles are really limiting my video game options and I want to broaden my horizon in terms of what is available.

Thanks. (Sorry about earlier Windspeed36.)

i have no idea how to post on here so ill do in this box thingy, well this is my pc build can anyone give me recommendations on anything i want a pc for 1080p with 100+ fps on games like cs;go RUST dayz (about 70+) gmod and heaps of the new survival games like forest and stuff... a;so i have no idea what the (example) 1600mghz on the DDR3 means and i also don't know what cache means so yeah i just chose what looks good i dont even know if everything is compatible so any help would be great!

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory

Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Asus Radeon R9 290X 4GB Direct CU II Video Card

NZXT H630 (White) ATX Full Tower Case

Cooler Master V850 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)

BenQ RL2455HM 60Hz 24.0" Monitor

Corsair K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard

Razer Taipan Wired Laser Mouse

Razer KRAKEN 7.1 CHROMA 7.1 Channel Headset

Logitech Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

(yes i need a mouse mat and other stuff i got a table but need a chair lol)

also im in Australia and the link for all this is....    http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/D4jy3C

total cost: $2986.00

so what i have picked out right now:

CPU- AMD fx 8320 

MOBO- Msi 970 am3+

PSU- Corsair 650w

​GPU- Sapphire R9 980 

RAM- Ripjaw 16GB

HDD- WD Green 1T

SSD- Kingston 120GB

Corsair h100i Water cooling

Rosewill Stealth case (not to sure if it will fit my h100i so if any one knows please tell me.i am willing to change cases if there is a better one for the same price give or take)

My theme is also black and red. and i would like to stick with that and im pretty big on cable managment

1. Budget & Location

I would love to stay under $900-$1000 USD not including the monitor and OS

2. Aim
Well im just now starting school for animation and media arts. so this rig will be used for that. I also plan on playing some Borderlands 2. and maybe some Alice madness returns. so i guess light gaming.

3. Monitors
right now only one. but maybe 2 later on in life.

4. Peripherals
i already have that picked out so no worries

right now im running a really cheep asus laptop and it lags so bad when in photoshop and gimp. 2 very important programs i need for school. so any help would be appreciated!!!! 

1. I live in central New York, and my budget is around $800.

2. I will be using the systems for 3d graphics, video editing, and

audio editing.  I am doing all of this on my laptop right now, and it can barely keep up with the demands of the software.  I use cinema 4D, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Audition on my Laptop.  

3. I'm only going to be using one philips monitor for my screen, I'm already using this in place of my smaller laptop screen.

4. I already have a mouse, keyboard, and everything else I need for a new system.

5. I'm upgrading because although my laptop has done an amazing job at keeping up with the demands of all the programs I use it cannot handle the amount of speed and space I require of it to go further and faster with my video and audio production.  I have two programs installed on an external hard drive and then run them through my computer which has gotten me this far but I'm afraid it's not enough. My vaio computer has 4GB of RAM and 2 GHz processing speed, and it's about 4 years old now, so I think I'm definitely due for an upgrade. 

I figured I'd make this thread to make life easier for people to give advice and feedback on your proposed system. If you add these simple answer it means we don't have to ask you all this before we can give you answers :)

1. Budget & Location

You may have listed a heap of parts that all add up to your preferred budget but it is easier if you just list the total amount you'd like to spend and the currency as well as if you'd consider going above that budget for more performance. We need the location as well because $US are different to $AUD and $CAD ect.

2. Aim

What is the system going to be used for? Web browsing, 3D work? Different systems need different levels of performance - a computer based for web browsing and office use won't handle heavy graphic design and video editing and a proper video editing system isn't good for gaming. If your aim is for gaming, please list what sort of gaming. In the same way that different usage types need different systems, you'll need a lot more power to run Far Cry 3 or Crysis 2 than you would Minecraft.

3. Monitors

How many monitors do you plan on running? Do you plan on moving to more monitors in the future? What resolution are they at too?

4. Peripherals

Do you also need to purchase peripherals such as keyboards and mice as well as monitors ect. Also please tell us if you'll need an OS such as Windows.

We ask this because you may see upgrading as the only path to solve an issue but things such as driver updates, reconfiguration or cleaning can boost performance without spending a cent.

Please copy and paste the major dot points into your thread as it makes it easier for us to give you better feedback.

Have fun and keep building :)

I just spent 5 minutes watching your avatar, awesome avatar.

I live in Singapore, and my Budget is around SGD$2000 and if there is something i can change or add, please feel free to tell me.

Case -  CM Storm Enforcer USB 3.0 - SGD$139

Motherboard  - Gigabyte Z97-D3H + Intel i5-4590 - SGD$456

Graphics Card - Gigabyte GTX960 OC 2GB (M-ITX) DDR5 - SGD$325

Storage - Crucial MX100 SSD 128GB and WD RED 1TB - SGD$199

Ram - Kingston CL99 8GB - SGD$100

Optical Drive - Samsung SH-224 24x DvD+-RW - SGD$24

Power Supply Corsair CX600m 600W - SGD$119

Case Fan - CoolerMaster MegaFlow - SGD$22

OS - Windows 8.1 OEM - SGD$133

Monitor - Viewsonic 23” VX2370SMH IPS LED - SGD$229

Keyboard - Quickfire Ultimate - SGD$158

Total = SGD$1.880

The reason i am building this i because i wanted to play a few of the lastest games such as Dragon Age Inquistion, Shadow of Mordor, etc at 1080p and want to last at least 4-5 years

I appreciate any feedback , or comments,

thanks!

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips...before-posting/

I live in Singapore, and my Budget is around SGD$2000 and if there is something i can change or add, please feel free to tell me.

Case -  CM Storm Enforcer USB 3.0 - SGD$139

Motherboard  - Gigabyte Z97-D3H + Intel i5-4590 - SGD$456

Graphics Card - Gigabyte GTX960 OC 2GB (M-ITX) DDR5 - SGD$325

Storage - Crucial MX100 SSD 128GB and WD RED 1TB - SGD$199

Ram - Kingston CL99 8GB - SGD$100

Optical Drive - Samsung SH-224 24x DvD+-RW - SGD$24

Power Supply Corsair CX600m 600W - SGD$119

Case Fan - CoolerMaster MegaFlow - SGD$22

OS - Windows 8.1 OEM - SGD$133

Monitor - Viewsonic 23” VX2370SMH IPS LED - SGD$229

Keyboard - Quickfire Ultimate - SGD$158

Total = SGD$1.880

The reason i am building this i because i wanted to play a few of the lastest games such as Dragon Age Inquistion, Shadow of Mordor, etc at 1080p and want to last at least 4-5 years

I appreciate any feedback , or comments,

thanks!

I would replace the Intel CPU with an AMD one, try going with the FX 8 series (best one is FX8350). You should have an AMD motherboard for that aswell.

Good Luck

here my build i live in the US and my budget is $1300 for the computer and i want a cheap but good monitor around 22 inches

cpu is intel i5-4690k

motherboard is asus maximus vii hero

cpu cooler is corsair h100i

gpu is nvidia gtx 960 

ram is 16gb of corsair vengeance 

hard drive is western digital black 2tb 

and kingston 120gb ssd

case is cm advanced 2

psu is corsair 750 w plus bronze

and windows 8

I am looking into building my own computer.

I found this deal on newegg.com (USA)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2188000 

After looking at it for an hour or two I cant seem to find anything wrong with it (other then not having a graphic card)

It just sounds like there should be a catch or somthing.

Please help me and see if you can find anything.

Ayrojars

It's good to know if they have any preferences towards a company or product. That comes up pretty often when I browse through forums.

Sorry dude, there will be no biased opinions on these rigs. We should always push to what's best for the money regardless of brand fanboyism.

I have a hard time thinking that simply having a preference for a company some how constitutes a bias. The preference could in fact be based on legitimate concerns or points that do not come from fanboyism. Now, I am a newcomer, and have no experience to speak of. However, with reason, I have read a few concepts that cause me to define a preference.

One for instance would be the fact that maybe 85% of what I see posted about AMD and AMD products, including my experience using the products without knowing it, and looking back to my old laptops and realizing, the one's I've had over heating issues was with every AMD system and have not had any overheating issues with the Intel laptops, or really any at all. I can't say whether there is a direct cause or even explanation, but I do know, the average, through time(thus based on my purpose and use) AMD has given me more problem devices and machines.

On a different note, AMD has never given me an issue that is common with Intel based ones: No computer because I can't/couldn't afford to buy one! Because of AMD, I was able to have a computer at all. So I am not trying to make this about AMD or Intel at all.

But, based on initial reasoning and logic, because of AMD receiving my money for their products, seemingly better quality product producers like Intel did not share in revenue from me and as a result, it had a smaller budget to work with to produce cheaper products overall. I am not trying to make this case. Simply provide for a situation wherein a preference does not SIMPLY and ONLY come down to fanboyism

I think it's short sighted to see the preference only in such a light, although I am not trying tp take away from the point bradscoolio made, as it is a great point: Don't decisions based on brand names! But, I am trying to break free from the restrictive notion that someone can prefer a company, or even can decide to buy from one company only, and that there can not be any legitimate grounds for doing so and as a result must be characterized as having come from fanboyism. Cheers! :)