New motherboard for my rig

Hey folks,

so a few days back I bought a SSD (Kingston HyperX 3k)... but my motherboard doesnt have SataIII... so I am looking at some motherboards, that would be good for me. Just a "little" problem is, that my old mobo is a socket 1156 and they dont make those anymore, so I have to buy a new CPU, too.. the CPU would be a simple Intel i5-3350P (I dont overclock or anything, so sufficient for me).

As for the motherboard question - I have one looked up (MSI Z77A-G45), just need your final opinion or tips for other in the price range of 100€ + - . I would love something in black/blue to match my setup. Thanks ;)

You may want to look into the Asus P8Z77 boards but also seeing as you're not overclocking you could also go for a H77 board such as the Asus P8H77-M Pro.

The Z77A-G45 has ThunderBolt.

If you don't need ThunderBolt you could get the Z77A-G41, doesn't have much OCing features either which seems like what you need.

I'd say keep looking and save some money.

Alternatively you could get a separate Sata card which has sata 3 ports.

Alternatively you could get a separate Sata card which has sata 3 ports.
I bought one for 20€ the other day, and guess what... It didnt work... I did all possible actions, reinstalled OS three times, each time differently, updated all kinds of drivers, and all I got were speeds SLOWER than those of SataII on motherboard... so... thanks, but no thanks :D

Try a higher end card and see how it goes.
After this experience I rather not try this again... and this was a PCIe card with 2xSataIII... only better available are the same with additional 2xIDE ports (for RAID or w/e)... but thanks for your idea too. I guess it was just my bad luck or something, but a new mobo would be less risky.

Hm, i suppose if availability is a problem then a new motherboard is the way to go.

The AsRock Z77 lineup is also pretty good and reliable, and cheap.

One feature I would not overlook Is a board that is Windows8 certified. The reason is the boot times. For a windows8 certified board I do believe the board has to completely post in under 6 seconds. I went from a asus p8p67-pro to a msi-z77 mpower. The asus board took 4 minutes to boot into the OS, the msi board takes 8 seconds if you enable fast boot. I am running windows7 and it still boots super fast. Whether its a cold boot or simple restart I really like the fast boot feature. I am using a kingston hyperX 3k 240GB boot drive. other than that read reviews and just make sure the board has all the I\O and features you need.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

hi im front Honduras i have a msi z77g43 it cost 100$ i think its nice if you dont overclock im just need the have basic things like usb 3.0 or sata III, of 100$ price point im think is one of the best whit the z77g45

Thanks for everybodys help. Yesterday I ordered and the final decision was MSI Z77A-G43, I had a few €€ to spare, as my old mobo and CPU got sold the next day I posted them for sale on one site :D again, thanks everyone ;)

I would just hook it up to Sata 2, it's not like you'll encounter any performance decrease in everyday usage.

Oh I see you already bought one. Well have fun with it :D