Build for Architectural Programs

animewolfkid

I am trying to plan a build for myself. The main focus of this build is for running programs for Architectural design programs. One of the main programs would be Revit by Autodesk however CAD by Autodesk, Photoshop master suite, Form Z, Rhino and other programs will be other programs I will be using on this computer. I will also be using 3Ds Max and other rendering programs. The rendering will the the most intense part however running the design programs can max out the cpu and ram very quickly. Autodesk does have requirements and recommendations for there programs on there site (link->) http://usa.autodesk.com/revit/system-requirements/#performance . Now I am trying to build a computer that can handle all of this run quietly definitely going to have it water cooled. The reason I am here is because the build is not just rendering however it is going to be a computer that I use for the actual programs to create these projects. This creates a bit more need for performance considering several of these programs may be running at once to work between them. The rendering can use several cores however one main detail is that the video card needs to be compatible with Revit itself seen in link above. Recommendations on CPU, Video cards, motherboards, anything you guys think would help to make a interesting build but be a powerhouse with this. Budget doesn't really matter because this is conceptual currently after I get feedback I will look at a budget.

I am a college student and will be taking loans out for the build because I need these programs and such for school and after, already having a work horse would be very helpful.

Will be used as main system. Looking towards having an awesome looking build as well for function and aesthetics.

Well for starters, as you understand, this build won't be cheap. So let's get into it.

As stated on the link you posted, an Intel Xeon processor is definitely recommended (maybe even necessary). I am not sure exactly what kind you would need, but probably a new socket 1155 Ivy Bridge CPU would suffice.

For graphics, a NVIDIA Quadro card would be most appropriate for a CAD pc build. I don't know much about these cards, but after looking around it seems that a Quadro 4000 series might suit you. I really don't know for sure, so maybe another poster can clarify.

As for RAM, i would say 32GB. You can get 32 gigs pretty cheap nowadays, and that much will come in handy when you are doing some memory intensive work.

When it comes to motherboard, I would say a ASUS WS series motherboard, such as the P8Z77 WS. This motherboard is designed for workstation and server applications and is up to the task.

As for hard drive/ssd, case, power supply, CPU cooling, that is all generic stuff that wont really effect the performance. Just make sure you have a fast and large enough hard drive, sufficient cooling and a big enough PSU.

So that's just my opinion and thoughts. I am no expert on workstation class PC's but I hope I may have helped/ answered some questions and pointed you in a somewhat correct direction.

i5 3570k - MSI Z77 GD65 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance - Galaxy GTX 780 - Corsair AX650 - Custom CPU Loop - Corsair 650D - OCZ Agility 4 128GB - WD Black 640GB

How much are you looking to spend and how much are you willing to spend? Yes, they're two different things. I know you said you don't really have a budget but you could easily blow $3k even up to $6k on this.

What are you doing for monitors and the like? 3 x 30"? What about backups?

At a minimum I'd be chucking a 3930K on probably a P9X79 Deluxe or something similar with 16GB of quality RAM, Samsung 840 Pro SSD's and WD VelociRaptor HDD's, NVidia Quadro card of some description however that's at a minimum - you may want to go to an Intel Extreme or even a Xeon setup for this - but as I said, how much do you want to spend?

The suggestion from TheYoungEnthusiast is solid, I agree on all his points and windspeed36 does bring up a good point, this system won't be cheap.

You seem to be doing a lot of 3D rendering and CAD, so you are going to need plenty of fast RAM, a good CPU and a Quadro, which TheYoungEnthusiat listed in their post. You don't NEED an SSD, but the faster load times is much appreciated. I have AutoCAD '12, Photoshop and Premiere Pro on an SSD and they boot up very quick. Also, investing in a backup solution is something you should consider since you are working with this machine. You can either get extra HDD for a RAID setup, connect an external drive to backup too, or use cloud storage, like Google Drive.

If you plan on doing simulations with your 3D renders, it's going to be CPU intensive so a 3930K or Xeon shouldn't be out of the question.

I am looking to spend as little as possible but get the most bang for the buck I have been looking into the Intel 6 cores however AMD obviously being cheaper and for the money I can get around the same performance with the new 8 cores So I am looking more into that. I will probably just use one moniter using two actually slows me down when working on designs. So moniters is whatever I can get to after the build nothing like to extensive but atleast something decent size and resolution wise in order to see everything I am working on in detail rather than having to zoom in and squint my eyes. I don't really think it will be that expensive starting with a barebones kit for the motherboard and cpu I can cut out a grand right there and by looking around I think I could probably get an AMD system maxed out with cpu and motherboard that is decently in the range of a college student with 8 cores 4.0 ghz cheap graphic card and ram powersupply and a few other things for around 1300 , I can post a link to this if you wnat to look into it. With add ons I am looking probably around 2500 with like a 700 dollar graphics card. So yes I can easily just slam my money into this but I am a college students there are limits. With a intel device yes 3k and up is probably closer. Thats why I am leaning towards AMD. So that kind of gives you the range I am thinking around as much as 3k but realistically I wont get that much to just push all into this project. I definitly will be going with probably 2 SSDS in Raid for the main stuff but back ups I already have an external for all purpose but probably atleast a 2 tb or a few I will get over time.

Any other questions feel free I thought posting would be easier than commenting individually.

I totally understand where your coming from about the price, but you have to remember that on the site it recommended an Intel Xeon CPU. When running some serious programs like Revit and other CAD software, AMD CPU's may not cut it because they aren't designed for applications like this. They do recommend the hardware for a reason, as it will increase productivity and make the software more usable.

i5 3570k - MSI Z77 GD65 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance - Galaxy GTX 780 - Corsair AX650 - Custom CPU Loop - Corsair 650D - OCZ Agility 4 128GB - WD Black 640GB

While I agree that a single AMD desktop CPU wont cut it for your requirements, the AMD Opterons on the other hand would more than suffice. Look at the Opteron 6300 series (Abu Dhabi) if you can because they are built on Piledriver, the 6200 series is on Bulldozer. You could get a single 12-core Opteron 6344 for $400 or dual 8-core Opteron 6320s for less than $600. A dual socket board is $400 however, but most G34 boards run both ECC and non-ECC memory. You'd be getting about 75-85% performance of a Xeon system, but for half the price.

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

While I agree that a single AMD desktop CPU wont cut it for your requirements, the AMD Opterons on the other hand would more than suffice. Look at the Opteron 6300 series (Abu Dhabi) if you can because they are built on Piledriver, the 6200 series is on Bulldozer. You could get a single 12-core Opteron 6344 for $400 or dual 8-core Opteron 6320s for less than $600. A dual socket board is $400 however, but most G34 boards run both ECC and non-ECC memory. You'd be getting about 75-85% performance of a Xeon system, but for half the price.
I can't believe the release of the new "Abu Dhabi" didn't cross my mind, it's a great alternative!

This is off of the recommendations site i linked earlier. The AMD equivalent just basically says something around the Xeon series equilvalent I was thinking more of the 8 core just for price. The other things I was looking for recommendations such as case and things were more or less for ideas of making an awesome looking build. These recommendations are really helping though thanks ! =]

[TABLE]

[TR=bgcolor: #efefef]

[TD=align: left]

CPU Type[/TD]

[TD=align: left]

Multi-Core Intel Xeon, or i-Series processor or AMD equivalent with SSE2 technology. Highest affordable CPU speed rating recommended.

Revit products will use multiple cores for many tasks, using up to 16 cores for near-photorealistic rendering operations.[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Here is the link to the bare bones kit I am looking into http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...2125&CatId=332 and just taking this and working with it just grabbing a different case and a few addons I want. The other thing I would have to change of course being the graphics card.