New CPU and GPU for my PC

I want to upgrade my PC in order to play the most recent games (Dying Light, Evolve, GTA V) with the best graphics possible in my 1080p monitor.

Current                                                Upgrade

Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990 FX R2.0

GPU : Radeon R9 270x                        ----- Asus Strix GTX 970

CPU : FX 6300                                     ------ FX 8350

PSU : 550W Cooler Master GXII          ------ Corsair RM 850W

I don't want to change my Motherboard, reason being this stuff is just so expensive where I live, so I want to know if you think this will perform good together.

Also I though about using the Cooler Master V8 GTS for the CPU Cooler and upgrading my RAM to some 1600ghz 2x4GB I see around.

the 8350 would hold back that 970. ;/ not a whole lot but it would still do so.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

I want to upgrade my PC in order to play the most recent games (Dying Light, Evolve, GTA V) with the best graphics possible in my 1080p monitor.

I don't want to change my Motherboard, reason being this stuff is just so expensive where I live, so I want to know if you think this will perform good together.

Also I though about using the Cooler Master V8 GTS for the CPU Cooler and upgrading my RAM to some 1600ghz 2x4GB I see around.

Current PSU is fine, I'd go for switching to intel if possible as an 8350 may bottleneck the 970, and really any of amds processors will.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Current PSU is fine, I'd go for switching to intel if possible as an 8350 may bottleneck the 970, and really any of amds processors will.

Thanks. But do you think an AMD FX9000 series would perform any better?

Thanks. But do you think an AMD FX9000 series would perform any better?

I doubt it, AMD's processors are much less powerful when it comes to single threaded performance compared to intel's processors, when you start getting up there with more powerful GPUs, AMD becomes less and less of an option on the CPU side of things.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Ignore that it will bottleneck, i also was suprised when i saw this http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/56/amd-fx-8350-powering-gtx-780-sli-vs-gtx-980-sli-at-4k/index.html

Im not amd fanboy or something like that, personally i have i7 3770k.

Did you even read the article?

This is about 4K. The higher you go in resolution the less stressed the CPU gets. Of course you will in CPU demanding titles still be bottlenecked big time against Intel CPUs. But games that live of the GPUs will not be so problematic at all. Please do some more research before posting something like that.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Did you even read the article?

This is about 4K. The higher you go in resolution the less stressed the CPU gets. Of course you will in CPU demanding titles still be bottlenecked big time against Intel CPUs. But games that live of the GPUs will not be so problematic at all. Please do some more research before posting something like that.

http://www.tweaktown.com/tweakipedia/55/amd-fx-8350-powering-gtx-780-sli-vs-gtx-980-sli-at-2560x1440/index.htmlThere you go in 1440p.

You seem to have a hard time understanding that these higher resolutions are a total different scenario for the whole PC right? I don´t mean to be offensive but your side is not a reliable source. I´ll post you something official to think about it.

http://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/fire+strike+3dmark+score+ultra+preset/version+1.1/2+gpu

Please be so kind and help me out because I can´t find any AMD CPU on the official 3D Mark HoF. But if you doubt that side I´ve got this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TycvqdkYByBGU45OlICNLDTDHY22fqSMEiZb_0M9l64/edit?pli=1#gid=672917501

That is the LTT 3D Mark spread sheet all machines here are from our users here in the LTT forums. I don´t see any AMD CPU in the top 20.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

sell your AMD motherboard and FX processor online to the most offering and order a GTX 970 or R9 290(x) GPU along with an entry level H97 motheboard and i5-4590 CPU...this performs worlds better in games than even an overclocked FX-9590.

here are some good deals right now:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($186.88 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($71.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($219.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $478.86

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-03 21:17 EST-0500

Every CPU that AMD has to offer will greatly limit the performance of such high-end graphics cards at 1080p in most games

(experienced this first hand i used to run a 4.6GHZ FX-8320 with my GTX780 and the CPU was my limiting factor in many if not most games out there)

If for some reason you really want to stick with a GTX 970 this one is priced right:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx9704gd5toc

...but as you can see it cost almost twice as much and the 970 perform only 10% better at 1080p, at 1440p the R9 290 and GTX 970 are on par...and at anything higher the R9 290 pulls ahead.

R9 290 vs GTX 970:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1068?vs=1355

As you can see the GTX 970 is only ever so slightly faster...and the R9 290 can use all it's vram without tanking.

Now for CPU:

Dying light for example:

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

This is whit SLI:

As you can see AMD CPU's are trash when it comes to gaming, unfortunately....they are 4 years old now, no wonder.

So in a nutshell: AMD Good GPU's for cheap, poor CPU that are overpriced (at least for gamers...can be good for budget workstation, not gaming rig)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

You seem to have a hard time understanding that these higher resolutions are a total different scenario for the whole PC right? I don´t mean to be offensive but your side is not a reliable source. I´ll post you something official to think about it.

http://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/fire+strike+3dmark+score+ultra+preset/version+1.1/2+gpu

Please be so kind and help me out because I can´t find any AMD CPU on the official 3D Mark HoF. But if you doubt that side I´ve got this:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1TycvqdkYByBGU45OlICNLDTDHY22fqSMEiZb_0M9l64/edit?pli=1#gid=672917501

That is the LTT 3D Mark spread sheet all machines here are from our users here in the LTT forums. I don´t see any AMD CPU in the top 20.

BUt those are sinthetic benchmarks he will be using for games not for video editing just for GAMES.

And you find me dying light for example, look how shitty is game when fx4300 gets more frames then 8150. And for 60fps you need 5960x, come on.

Really i dont care, you have your opinion and i have mine.

BUt those are sinthetic benchmarks he will be using for games not for video editing just for GAMES.

And you find me dying light for example, look how shitty is game when fx4300 gets more frames then 8150. And for 60fps you need 5960x, come on.

Really i dont care, you have your opinion and i have mine.

True words you have your opinion and I have mine, the only difference is that my data is valid ;).

True words you have your opinion and I have mine, the only difference is that my data is valid ;).

All that is relative my Najuno :)

the 8350 would do very well with a 970 (can do well with a 980 also) it did good with dual 280x's i had, you will have to overclock it the sweet spot for performance on 8350 is 4.7ghz,at that clock it wont bottleneck 80-90% of games.

IT DEPENDS ON THE GAME REALLY.

i do however...suggest going for new i5's if you can just because they will do good in 100% of games.

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

thats because on the LTT spreadsheet the best gpus paired with amd is 7970 crossfire (i am #52 on the list lol ) now that i have 4770k i should jump up higher on that list

meanwhile on the top 20 they have dual 290x all the way to triple 980 sli. if a amd owner had triple 980 sli im sure it would make top 20.

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

thats because on the LTT spreadsheet the best gpus paired with amd is 7970 crossfire (i am #52 on the list lol ) now that i have 4770k i should jump up higher on that list

meanwhile on the top 20 they have dual 290x all the way to triple 980 sli. if a amd owner had triple 980 sli im sure it would make top 20.

It has nothing to do with AMD GPUs. They are fine and the R9 290(X) are within the top20 because they are good. We've got only 2 3way system in the benchmark. Even without them there wouldn't be any FX CPU in the top20.

If you look into the scores a bit deeper you will see people with i7 4790K with a single GPU being as fast as others with dual GPUs using an FX CPU. And it's absolutely pointless to discuss if AMD can hold up or not their architecture was fail and is noe 4 years old, and until they release something new Intel will wipe with their i5s the floor with them in games. DX12 will be not implemented any time soon in games and will be Windows10 exclusive, so not applicable for many peoples.

All that is relative my Najuno :)

Relative is only that I am not your Najuno ;). That sounds a bit weird... TBH.

Relative is only that I am not your Najuno ;). That sounds a bit weird... TBH.

It is phrase in my language, and i translate it literally. :P

And you see, videos from that guy that is what i was talking.

sell your AMD motherboard and FX processor online to the most offering and order a GTX 970 or R9 290(x) GPU along with an entry level H97 motheboard and i5-4590 CPU...this performs worlds better in games than even an overclocked FX-9590.

here are some good deals right now:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($186.88 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($71.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($219.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $478.86

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-03 21:17 EST-0500

Every CPU that AMD has to offer will greatly limit the performance of such high-end graphics cards at 1080p in most games

(experienced this first hand i used to run a 4.6GHZ FX-8320 with my GTX780 and the CPU was my limiting factor in many if not most games out there)

If for some reason you really want to stick with a GTX 970 this one is priced right:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-gtx9704gd5toc

...but as you can see it cost almost twice as much and the 970 perform only 10% better at 1080p, at 1440p the R9 290 and GTX 970 are on par...and at anything higher the R9 290 pulls ahead.

R9 290 vs GTX 970:

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1068?vs=1355

As you can see the GTX 970 is only ever so slightly faster...and the R9 290 can use all it's vram without tanking.

Now for CPU:

Dying light for example:

This is whit SLI:

As you can see AMD CPU's are trash when it comes to gaming, unfortunately....they are 4 years old now, no wonder.

So in a nutshell: AMD Good GPU's for cheap, poor CPU that are overpriced (at least for gamers...can be good for budget workstation, not gaming rig)

Thanks for the suggestions and the deals, but since I don't live in Canada or in the US I cannot consider $470 a price range for updates. The cheapest R9 290 I could find was $600

the 8350 would do very well with a 970 (can do well with a 980 also) it did good with dual 280x's i had, you will have to overclock it the sweet spot for performance on 8350 is 4.7ghz,at that clock it wont bottleneck 80-90% of games.

IT DEPENDS ON THE GAME REALLY.

i do however...suggest going for new i5's if you can just because they will do good in 100% of games.

Thanks for the answer. Going for an i5 seems to be everyone's suggestion, do you think a MSI Z97 PC Mate LGA 1150 with an i5 4690k should do good for a long time?