Razer updates the Blade with Maxwell and more RAM

AlexGoesHigh

Carousel_678x452.png

Razer Blade laptop is getting some minor updates mainly with the gpu being upgraded from a 870M to a 970M, also razer is adding 16GB of ram as a option now, which is a nice improvement for a laptop that can also work as media workstation,

Razer is also upgrading the cpu from a i7-4702HQ to a Intel Core i7-4720HQ main difference being that the newer chip has higher clock speed and a higher TDP going from 37W to 47W with the new chip, everything else is the same, a haswell based quad core with intel HD4600 graphics, the much more efficient 970M allows for the higher TDP CPU, 

lastly there's a new sku that sells lower that the old default price, comes only with a 1080p IPS display non touch and anti glare coating with a 256GB SSD for 1999$

other that that everything else is the same, options for a IGZO 3200x1800 panel, 128/256/512GB SSD, same 14" size, keyboard, CNC aluminum body, ports, etc

W1b0uGB.png

KDnuFJE.png

Source: AnandTech

imo that's a nice upgrade, the previous model was already pretty badass, though if i was razer i would have holded for the broadwell quadcores to be released

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

omg this is what ive been waiting for :D

longer battery life with more power savings and better performance!

Now I just need them to update the blade pro too and  will buy one.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The Razer blade and the orbweaver are the only two Razer products that i like. It's nice to see this updated version of the Blade. :)

It must be noted that the GPU doesn't suffer the same problem as the GTX 970 on the desktop with its memory, as it has only 3GB of memory, for those that wonder, as per Anandtech article.

That's awesome

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

i actually consider the razer blade to be the best laptop on the market

If only money was of no concern...

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

I'm disappointed that they kept the HQ processor. This means that it isn't upgradeable because it's soldered. Remember, every mobile Intel CPU with the suffix M is socketed, and every CPU ending in L or H is soldered

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

So another company that's seen the light. I've had friends that have gone from being unable to game on their 870M based laptops, to playing Crysis 3 on high whilst running on battery so that's a hell of an improvement.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Lol I feel bad for the people who got the blade during the 30 percent off sale. This must be why. 

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

Lol I feel bad for the people who got the blade during the 30 percent off sale. This must be why. 

No, feel bad with the early adopters like me, who are stuck with this garbage 900p TN panel.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

omg this is what ive been waiting for :D

longer battery life with more power savings and better performance!

Now I just need them to update the blade pro too and  will buy one.

They have a weird philosophy when it comes to that. When they first announced the Blade, Min-Liang said that if gamers wanted to game on a laptop, the baseline of how big the screen should be is 17" so it can be portable but still have a large enough screen (or something along those lines) and it must have a powerful CPU and GPU with some fast storage.

When they released the 14" Blade with the 800-series GPU's, they put the more powerful model GPU in the 14" and not the 17" for reasons. It makes no sense - if anything it should be the other way around.

I don't know what they're smoking.

No, feel bad with the early adopters like me, who are stuck with this garbage 900p TN panel.

The default colour settings are bloody awful. It isn't too bad once you do a calibration though.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

They have a weird philosophy when it comes to that. When they first announced the Blade, Min-Liang said that if gamers wanted to game on a laptop, the baseline of how big the screen should be is 17" so it can be portable but still have a large enough screen (or something along those lines) and it must have a powerful CPU and GPU with some fast storage.

When they released the 14" Blade with the 800-series GPU's, they put the more powerful model GPU in the 14" and not the 17" for reasons. It makes no sense - if anything it should be the other way around.

I don't know what they're smoking.

The 14" has a much higher resolution screen, because more people like 14" laptops than 17" laptops (but i like 17 or even 18 better)

i actually dont care about the GPU as long as it runs the display fine. Since the 17 only has a 1080p display, the GPU is more than enough

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Since the 17 only has a 1080p display, the GPU is more than enough

I don't know about that. Seems pretty sub-par even for 1080p. 

I'm disappointed that they kept the HQ processor. This means that it isn't upgradeable because it's soldered. Remember, every mobile Intel CPU with the suffix M is socketed, and every CPU ending in L or H is soldered

You can't really put a socketed chip in a form factor like that and all the socketed chips have higher TDPs anyway. Plus what could you possibly upgrade on something like that other than move to broardwell maybe. Everything is soldered to the board so it can be as thin as possible.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

Everything is soldered to the board so it can be as thin as possible.

This. Can't imagine them fitting a socketed CPU in an enclosure this small.

Now if only they would release this in Europe then I'd be able to get this as my company laptop :P

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

Is it still US only?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case.