Best static pressure 120mm fan?

Chiobe
Go to solution Solved by Chiobe,

I will just do as I have done with the rest of my cooling and stick with EK.

On 3/2/2015 at 4:45 PM, Chiobe said:

Again, weak: 2.61mm H2O

Actually Noctua NF-F12 has also a 3.000rpm model which has 7,63 mm H₂O :P

• 5 months later...

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

2 hours ago, The Benjamins said:

Yep Delta, Sunon, and Globe have some pretty impressive models. 

I'm using an Ultra Kaze 3000 120x38mm as a north bridge cooler from pcie height distance away and for the money($13), this fan is amazing.  

11 minutes ago, dexT said:

Yep Delta, Sunon, and Globe have some pretty impressive models. 

I'm using an Ultra Kaze 3000 120x38mm as a north bridge cooler from pcie height distance away and for the money($13), this fan is amazing.  

well those deltas are rated to 60 dB so it is a bit loud for a case fan.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Just now, The Benjamins said:

well those deltas are rated to 60 dB so it is a bit loud for a case fan.

Oh for sure. Probably best to use as my scenario, on an open test bench for NB and VRM or external rad.

• 9 months later...
On 2/3/2015 at 3:22 PM, Chiobe said:

"...a 280mm rad is too little for my cpu atm (without any overclock)"

It's an old thread but it illustrates the difference between what people want and what they actually need, and is still relevant to those of us on older rigs (the X99 is still a respectable performer even in 2018).

The OP claims a monster 280mm radiator isn't up to the job of keeping a 5930K cool at stock speed. No disrespect intended but I haven't heard such a load of nonsense in ages. Unless you've something seriously wrong with your setup the 5930K isn't difficult to keep cool. My 5930K is currently clocked at 4.3GHz (stock voltage) and is cooled by a humble Corsair H80i-V2 120mm AIO (you know, those tiny cheap AIO things that couldn't possibly compete with a highly specced 280mm system) - which holds around 40˚c over ambient under load. The AIO fan (stock Corsair SP120) is running in a single pull-type config and is powered from a PWM hub with the CPU header providing the PWM signal. The rear exhaust fan is also on the PWM circuit so if the intake /AIO fan ramps up so does the exhaust. It works beautifully and the max temp I ever see is around 60˚ when transcoding video, and before someone joins in saying it should be configured in such-and-such a way, I don't need any opinions on this as the setup is cool, quiet and stable.

None of this is remarkable or special in any way but it does show you can run an OC'd CPU without exotic high-end components, at sensible temps and 100% rock solid.

But, if you're deaf or want the biggest baddest kit then look at proper server-spec components as they're built to keep electronics within safe limits 24/7. Last year we retired 3 old HP servers and I took a Delta PFC1212DE from one of them to play with. It's fast, noisy, fat (38mm) and shifts air. Lots of it. It also has a static pressure of around 36mm. If they're good enough to pass the commercial engineering requirements of the likes of Dell and HP enterprise systems they're good enough for anyone here.

Truth is you simply don't need the highest-end components for an everyday A/V and gaming rig that's designed to do more than just run torture tests and benchmarks. There's nothing wrong with going balls-out on the finest components to build a classy rig but it's the difference between what's required and what's desired.

I just ordered three of these: https://amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWL2FIY

They were the highest airflow I could find on Amazon, and they're 4-pin PWM-able (so the noise won't be a problem), plus somewhat affordable!

I can let you know if they're any good when they arrive.

I suggest using Corsair ML Pros, There so far my favorite among the fans I've used over the years for Radiators.

Other options to consider: Eloops, GT's and BeQuiet Silent Wings 3.

- EK fans creates a annoying humming noise (Both Evo and the old ones both do this).

- Noctua, There decent but I just don't care for there sound profile. There just better option out there.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

• 2 weeks later...

My fans came in last week, and oh boy are they powerful. More powerful than my ceiling fan, portable air conditioner, air filter on HI, all of my portable fans and heaters combined, and probably more powerful than the whole home AC too. They literally blow the mouse off the table from a foot away, so yeah strap everything down before use.

They're not quite as loud as I thought, probably since they're 120mm fans. One at full speed is slightly quieter than a server with 4 or 5 fans (well 10, since they're doubled up) turning on, which sounds like a jet engine taking off, but I have seen louder fans that produce much less airflow, so I was expecting even louder.

So, I officially dub it Blowymatron 2.0.

The downside however, is that you can't PWM these fans with the motherboard because they react inversely to the PWM curve you set. At 0% they're 100%, and at 100% they're 0%, but this doesn't matter anyway since I'm just using a fan controller rather than the mobo. I'm working on designing a custom smart fan controller (for my prototype case), but that's another story...