Best static pressure 120mm fan?

Chiobe
Go to solution Solved by Chiobe,

I will just do as I have done with the rest of my cooling and stick with EK.

I know this is a debated topic, but I'm putting a twist on it:  I want the best fan, regardless of noice.

Scythe Ultra Kaze - 120x38mm - 3000rpm - 6.05mm H2O - 133,60CFM

EK-Furious Vardar FF5 - 120x25mm - 3000rpm - 5.81mm H2O - 107CFM

Those 2 have the highest numbers I have found.

I list them both, since you cant always fit a 38mm thick fan on your rads.

So does anyone know of a better fan, for rad usage?

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=12&lng=en

I've used them for a while, and they are great.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

But the question is... do you really need that much pressure? Most radiators will work extremely well, with excellent stability, with the Noctuas. If you were running a 2, 3, 4 thick radiator system, i'd say fine, but that is not something most people do.

Correction: Or a very thick radiator.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Noctua NF-F12

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Again, weak: 2.61mm H2O

What are you putting said fans on, first?

But the question is... do you really need that much pressure? Most radiators will work extremely well, with excellent stability, with the Noctuas. If you were running a 2, 3, 4 thick radiator system, i'd say fine, but that is not something most people do.

Correction: Or a very thick radiator.

I have yet to see a test where the Scythe Ultra Kaze loses in terms of performence, thats why.

Are you extreme overclocking or running multiple loops? Seems like way too much cooling for your system.

Are you extreme overclocking or running multiple loops? Seems like way too much cooling for your system.

I have already both everything, so can we get back to the question at hand?

Is there a fan better then the 2 I listed in terms of pure cooling?

i bet you havent had a look at the noctua NF-F12 Industrial PPC 3000RPM

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=80&lng=en&set=1

Spoiler

CPU: i5-6600k MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming RAM: G.Skill 16GB 2800Mhz 15-15-15-35, GPU: Sapphire R9 290 SSD: Samsung 840 250GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2, Cooling: EK supremecy EVO ,EK-FC R9 290X with backplate, XSPC EX240 Crossflow & Alphacool UT60 240mm, XSPC D5 Bayres w/ Alphacool VPP655, 7/16-5/8 Compressions/Tubing, Noctua NF-F12 x4 PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Case: Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 http://valid.x86.fr/8g2m02

It seems he's taking numbers only into account.

I promise though, Noctua fans are solid performers, and will work well, especially in a push/pull config.

If I was choosing of the two you like, however, I'd go with the GTs.

It seems he's taking numbers only into account.

I promise though, Noctua fans are solid performers, and will work well, especially in a push/pull config.

I care about tempratures, and so far so havent I seen any low number fans beat a high number fan.

As this test shows: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/fan-roundup_15.html

I care about tempratures, and so far so havent I seen any low number fans beat a high number fan.

As this test shows: http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/fan-roundup_15.html

"Summing up the results of our today’s test session I would like to say that by choosing the “proper” fan an overclocker can win about 6-8ºC on the maximum CPU or GPU temperature without increasing the noise level, which is pretty much the difference you get from a super-cooler vs. a good cooling system."

That's the reason I asked, are you doing some extreme OC, otherwise, any will perform within ~10% of the other.

"Summing up the results of our today’s test session I would like to say that by choosing the “proper” fan an overclocker can win about 6-8ºC on the maximum CPU or GPU temperature without increasing the noise level, which is pretty much the difference you get from a super-cooler vs. a good cooling system."

That's the reason I asked, are you doing some extreme OC, otherwise, any will perform within ~10% of the other.

I will do some overclocking, but how much will depend on the system.

Also, it might be overkill, but I would much rather have too much then too little, seeing how a 280mm rad is too little for my cpu atm (without any overclock).

Take a look at the ek vardar fans. They have a few different options as far as max rpm. They also have a fan that will push upto 70pa. They also outperform scythe

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I will do some overclocking, but how much will depend on the system.

Also, it might be overkill, but I would much rather have too much then too little, seeing how a 280mm rad is too little for my cpu atm (without any overclock).

You could air-cool that CPU easily. Many people do. As far as headroom goes, maybe I'm old-fashioned but more components = more chances of failure, and you'll need a beefy pump to feed 3 Rads. 

However, the Gentle typhoons do seem to be pretty decent from what I've seen, so if you like them, go that route.

I know this is a debated topic, but I'm putting a twist on it:  I want the best fan, regardless of noice.

Scythe Ultra Kaze - 120x38mm - 3000rpm - 6.05mm H2O - 133,60CFM

EK-Furious Vardar FF5 - 120x25mm - 3000rpm - 5.81mm H2O - 107CFM

Those 2 have the highest numbers I have found.

I list them both, since you cant always fit a 38mm thick fan on your rads.

So does anyone know of a better fan, for rad usage?

I really think you should define best first..

Based on how much static pressure your fans need to fight against.

Then we can talk about in order to achieve that, the real total CFM can pass through the rad.

Third, at what rpm with what level/kind of noise

oh then finally the price and look.

Edited: You seem like looking for strong fans for pure performance.

Are you only looking into 25mm fans?

If you want the 'best' fans then Nidec Servo,San Ace,Delta.....all very powerful fans.

Im guessing you have not sat next to a rig with 38mm 2000RPM+ fans......not a pleasant experience at all. Even 25mm fans over 2000RPM is just plain irritating.

Static pressure,although high discussed,will gain you very little in overall performance if thats the sole metric you rate a rad fan by,any half decent fan will be more than enough for those rads,only those silly Monsta rads require more or P/P.

But,if you want my choices....The new EK fans are quite good,I rate Alpenfohn fans for my own uses and Anything by Nidec Servo...Noctua do not figure in to that list....at all.

(The fascination on this forum for these average fans confounds me....)

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

I will just do as I have done with the rest of my cooling and stick with EK.

You seem to have missed the real answer to you're question if pressure is what you want the fan posted above is better then both options you originally made at 7.63mm h2o

I am the one who goes bump in the night... usually making a sandwich.

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo White - Motherboard: ASUS X99 Deluxe - CPU: Intel i7 5820k - RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2666mhz ddr4 - GPU: Dual EVGA gtx 980 SSC - PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 750w - Cooler: Custom PETG Loop on cpu and gpus - Storage: 500gb Samsung 850 evo ssd, 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 3tb hdd

You seem to have missed the real answer to you're question if pressure is what you want the fan posted above is better then both options you originally made at 7.63mm h2o

Yeah, its the best.

But it seems like the answer will be in the delivery, as nether is available in large enough numbers (most I could find is 5).

So I will pick up which ever I can get ahold of first (EK or NF).