Consoles may get 4K Hardware upgrade

Craider

When i read that for the first time i thought consoles were gonna support 4k gaming.

This would be the adapter:

radeonr9295x2-610x343.jpg

Even pcs have a lot of trouble to drive 4k and you need like 500 dollars just in GPU to get a decent experience.

I wanted to put that in my Ncase and watercool it but turns out that's not possible until they make 750W sfx PSUs :(

TRUE Blu ray???

Blu Rays are stone age technology wise. MPEG2 codec compression wise is just bad compared to H.264 or even better H.265

I rather have a 20Mbit/s H264 (or even better H265) 4K stream, than a 50Mbit/s MPEG2 (aka BR) stream.

BR's do NOT use MPEG2, they use AVC, VC-1 or H264.

It has been said they are getting a hardware upgrade. We don't actually know if it's going to be a GPU hardware upgrade or if the consoles are just getting upgraded inputs so they can display 4K resolutions. Honestly I doubt they will be getting a GPU upgrade unless the consoles cost significantly more.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

remember the days of Playstation1 , when a console had 5x the price/performance ratio of a gaming pc?

the massive success of consoles back in those days is the reason why consoles still exist today... 

The same goes for the original Xbox, even with lower specs it was a lot better at playing games than what was at the time high end computers.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

4K on consoles mean 792p upscaled to 4k, right?

Imagine all that blur...

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Well the will quadruple in price to the point consoles make no sense to spend money on :)

I want them to try a fail horribly :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Maybe they should release a 1080p version first. Baby steps.

Lol, console makers have that down-pat, considering that previous generation consoles could play games at 720p, and newer consoles a bit less than 800p

PMSL

CANT WAIT. But i still dont have a 4K anything. My phone is higher resolution than my montior...

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

I really want an xbox one case, to gut and shove a top end PC inside

Then do a video online of what a "next gen" console should REALLY look like

Someone's doing that on the forum right now. Even dead Xbox's run for like 200 dollars

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

they'll need quite a big upgrade if they want gaming to look any good

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

Consoles could really benefit from FreeSync support. Throw a DP connector on there and maybe an updated GPU (that will support it (if the current one can't already)). 

Maybe there will be external graphics card support, who knows what will happen.

Consoles can only run at 30 FPS anyways. No need for HDMI 2.0.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

4K live tiles or home screen. hahahfdsahfas;dklfhjae;dklfhahahahashasdfhas;dkfh;akdsfh

Hardware upgrade = HDD 1 TB! and propably a die shrink. Does anyone know in what RPM the Console HDDs run at?

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

Hardware upgrade = HDD 1 TB! and propably a die shrink. Does anyone know in what RPM the Console HDDs run at?

The standard PS4 hard drive is a 500GB 5400 RPM SATA II.

The standard PS4 hard drive is a 500GB 5400 RPM SATA II.

Your joking right? Because if so, that's pretty much the same as a laptop HDD I have from 2009, except for 500GB instead of 320GB. And people wonder why next gen consoles get bagged.....

PMSL

Your joking right? Because if so, that's pretty much the same as a laptop HDD I have from 2009, except for 500GB instead of 320GB. And people wonder why next gen consoles get bagged.....

That's consoles for you.

That's consoles for you.

Not if you go back to the older ones, if they had been PCs at the time, they would have been pretty damn good.

PMSL

Those looking for a true Xbox one sized mITX gaming case are better off waiting until June/July. I've contacted Silverstone and that's the date they gave me for the release of the incredible RVZ02 that got a lot of coverage at CES 2015. Despite being smaller that the Xbox one case, it still houses a reference GTX 980.

post-72122-0-70557200-1423098325.jpg

post-72122-0-77896500-1423098350.jpg

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

Those looking for a true Xbox one sized Mitch gaming case are better off waiting until June/July. I've contacted Silverstone and that's the date they gave me for the release of the incredible RVZ02 that got a lot of coverage at CES 2015. Despite being smaller that the Xbox one case, it still houses a reference GTX 980.

Perfect case for small form factor "console killers"

My only concern is the lack of case fans on this case. But Silverstone appear confident on this new design, by placing the GPU and CPU heat sink fans almost flush with the case, they plan to negate the need for case fans. But I guess we will see when the case launches.
Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

I still don't understand the concern with having a PC tower in the living room.... I've had my air 540 in there before and it wasn't a big deal.....

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs