Companies, Brand Loyalty, and Warranty

jaypro

When it comes to choosing between a few particular brands all of the same item then by and large its price verses the less tangible things. Some companies have tweaker positive warranties like EVGA and sometimes you find different manufacturers using higher quality components. But I also have to weigh this up against the companies recent history, I go looking for comparative failure rates and such as the difference between manufacturers can be striking. I also look at places like resellerratings and such to find out how good in practice the RMA process is going to be even if I do have a problem.

But when your comparing two products with different performance characteristics and features its enormously more complex. CPUs isn't so bad right now, its mostly performance in scenario verses price but the GPU battleground is insanely difficult. I got completely screwed by AMD with my 7970's in crossfire, I had that frame pacing issue on them for 1.5 years and I only last 5 months of that before I replaced them as they were unplayable. That cost me a lot of money and the absolutely terrible support I received really weighs on my mind. In total I raised 19 bugs of which they fixed one, 1.5 years after I raised it, the rest still remain. Nvidia on the other hand I have raised 2 bugs, had 1 fixed and the other is still outstanding after 9 months (and its a serious performance bug within Windows itself). I think choosing between these two companies is about who is less bad not who is better. They are both pretty awful to their customers, both price gouge when it suits them and the feature differences that result in suboptimal gaming when choosing one over the other is just horrible. Its hard to be brand loyal to two companies that in the last 2 years have been the only unsolvable problem with my PC. Frankly I hate them both, I just hate Nvidia a little less at this point as its evils have been less impactful. But the moment either announces fixing the problems I have with their cards I'll have a favourite again, I am driven entirely by the reliability and capability as by and large the minor performance differences when they are working aren't a big deal.

I have a reverse brand loyalty.  Once I have a bad experience with a brand, I'm pretty loyal about never buying anything from them again.  A lot of times even if its really minor...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

• 4 months later...

Found these stats in a which? magazine. 

Found it pretty interesting, these are no giant surprises except sony smart phones which I thought were not very popular. 

mQ7Sp9U.png

(sorry is it a bit wonky ) 

Are there any brand you are loyal to? 

Twitter | Steam |

Apple 89%....
ok 

SuperNova: CPU: Intel Core i5 4670k @4.6 GPU: Sapphire R290 Tri-x @1200, @1350, MOBO: MSI Z87 G45 Gaming, RAM: 16Gb HyperX Fury White @1866, PSU: CORSAIR TX750M, CASE: Arc Midi R2, SSD: Kingston 120gb SSD, 
COOLING:
H100i w/ 2x Nb eLoop 800rpm

Check out my build log Black Dawn Check out my build log Supernova

I buy the best product not the brand.

Amen. Although I must admit when looking for certain products I usually end up looking at more or less the same brands. Lukily for me, we've got a buttload of reviewers out there that make the job a lot easier.  :)

As @ said, I choose the best products, not dependent on brands.

Main PC: CPU: i7-4770k RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Blu SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB HDD: 1TB WD Blue GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB PSU: Corsair CX600M Case: Bitfenix Shinobi OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Laptop: ASUS N56VJ

i have almost no brand loyalty. the only brand i have a bias towards is asus, and that is due to looks and personal experience with reliability. but when it comes to phones, laptops, tvs i will buy the thing nearest to what i want that is on clearance deals

CPU: AMD Fx-8370 @ 4.8 Ghz MoBo: Asus Crosshair V Formula Z GPU: Msi Gtx 770 'gaming' RAM 16GB kingston hyperX fury  PSU: Corsair AX860 Cooling: Corsair H55 Case: Corsair 760T
I want the most powerful PC in the world.... and ill still just play Dota on it 

It depends. Brand loyalty or disloyalty? You might pick a brand if it did right by you, but if you've had problems in the past I can guarantee that you'll not pick a particular brand next time you purchase. Sony is losing a lot in that race I think. 

I would also like to see how loyal people are with this race to the bottom on pricing that everyone is going through. Do you care who "makes" it or whether it is the least expensive version? And on that, what is a brand these days? Do you care or does bother you to find out that ASUS m/bd was made by Foxconn? Is Corsair reliable enough when you know they don't manufacture a damn thing? PNY? Patriot?

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

Silverstone

Logitech

Corsair for ram and keyboard

Motorola

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Silverstone

Logitech

Corsair for ram and keyboard

Motorola

The only one that surprises me is motorola, any reason why? 

Twitter | Steam |

if I had other stuff in my system that was a certain colour I'd buy from the same brand to get it all looking the same. But I guess paint would do a similar job

The only one that surprises me is motorola, any reason why? 

Well i just love my Moto X and the google now implementation, and the Moto 360 looks really nice too.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I buy the best product not the brand.

This ^

First I research what I need, then I look at what others have to say and choose in consequence. The only thing I own, from all those company... Is a Canon Printer.. only because it was the cheapest available and I can refill the cartridge with much cheaper ink. (not officially, though, need to drill a hole and...)

Most of them are locked down tight, with proprietary connectors and what not, no thanks.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Be practical. Loyalty is not practical. If you keep buying products from the same brand it should be for tangible reasons. You trust their products or their support. If you're loyal to a company because of a sense that you should, then you're doing yourself a very serious disservice. I intend to buy more EVGA gpus because EVGA was nice when I needed them to RMA my card and Galaxy wasn't. But I don't like EVGA, they just have a policy that's convenient for me. And they don't like me or care about me, they just have a policy that's likely to make me buy more of their products. Be rational and you'll be fine, don't be loyal.

And now you know why Apple has the most brand loyalty.

I won't lie, I am slightly brand loyal. But with that said, I'm the kind of brand loyal who will, when I'm looking for something, check the companies I've dealt with before and had positive results first, then others. I will check others, but if there's minimal or no price difference I'll buy from my more "trusted" company. If there is a big difference then I'll start looking up more on the other company before making a choice.

Never say it's not broken. Everything is broken. Why? Because everything needs MOAR POWA!

Brand loyalty is one of those things that everyone thinks they are better than but everyone is guilty of it somewhere. Even for necessitates or other stuff you probably grab the same brand a lot and don't even notice or have a reason why. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Everyone is a bit brand loyal to something in their life. I am brand loyal to Corsair. I never had anything I bought from them be DOA. I have brand loyalty to New Balance, I love their shoes, they are so comfortable.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

Corsair, gigbabyte

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

there is nothing wrong with liking a brand. as long as you understand that there are other things that might be better or different out there. 

I try not to get too attached to a company and usually just go with whatever is best, but I might lean a bit more if the product is made by NZXT or Gigabyte

For PC stuff, no fixed loyalty, just go based on Reviews. But for my Phones, tablets... Mine's with Samsung.

Main Machine: Core i7 2600K, 12GB RAM, GTX 970 SLI, P8P67M-PRO, Fractal Define R3, 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 2TB WDC Green, Windows 10    Laptop: MBP 13" Retina 2014 Haswell: 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, OS X El Capitan

Piano Recording Rig: Compaq HP 6200 SFF Core i3 2100, 4GB RAM, 750GB HDD, Zotac GTX 750 Low Profile OC, Windows 7 Pro

Available Spare Parts: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Brand loyalty is just stupid and bad for consumers, i have no idea why people do such things

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)