Arma 3, Upgrade my CPU or GPU?

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

I am getting very mixed signals...

Bottom line get a new CPU and GPU if you want to run Arma 3 at decent settings.

I have a new computer and I was wondering which parts to upgrade for Arma 3

here are the specifications:
AMD A4-6300 APU

AMD Radeon 5450

8 GB Ram

1 TB Hard drive

What is your budget?

What is your location?

What is your Mobo/PSU?

Because he had a hard drive.

Both. A new cpu wont improve perfomance and wouldnt make sense with that gpu and a new gpu would most likely be bottlenecked by that cpu. Also Arma 3 is a fairly demanding game.

CPU and GPU. Arma is very badly optimized and it requires at least an i5 and a very good gpu to run normally. I've got i5 4690k and r9 280x and still get lags sometimes.

Both. A new cpu wont inprove perfomance and wouldnt make sense with that gpu and a new gpu would most likely be bottlenecked by that cpu.

In Arma the CPU plays a big part as it is a single thread program. You'll need a good CPU with good performance by core.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

In Arma the CPU plays a big part as it is a single thread program. You'll need a good CPU with good performance by core.

Yes but like i said the gpu is worthless so it wont really matter....

In arma 3 there is very little performance difference between a G3250 and 5960X. Arma 3 is horrendously single threaded, making little to no use at all of any other cores.

Just to get all dem frames in arma 2 & 3 i coughed up extra for a 4790K, as well as needed the multitasking capacity it offers. 

I'm running a 4790K and an OC R9 270X @ 1220mhz, On multiplayer with a server of about 30 people I manage a solid 40-60 fps in towns, and 60+ outside of towns. I run mostly high settings and some on ultra.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Yes but like i said the gpu is worthless so it wont really matter....

CPU first then GPU would be a wiser choice.

CPU first then GPU would be a wiser choice.

Yeah. So like i said. Both...

I have a new computer and I was wondering which parts to upgrade for Arma 3

here are the specifications:

AMD A4-6300 APU

AMD Radeon 5450

8 GB Ram

1 TB Hard drive

I would say give up hope. lol. Having a better cpu helps, even that gpu could get decent frame rates with arma. But even with the worlds best cpu it's still going to about as fast as a dead turtle. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Not really. He could stay with that GPU and just get a better CPU.

Not really. He could stay with that GPU and just get a better CPU.

That would be be a bad idea considering that is a pretty bad processor and any gpu capable of running arma 3 at decent settings would be bottlenecked by it...

I am getting very mixed signals...

Does somebody here that is recommending OP to upgrade the GPU actually play Arma? I get almost the same fps on1920x1080 and eyefinity. Arma is all about CPU. When my friend switched from a i3 to a i5 he basicly doubles his fps. If he had chosen to upgrade his GPU instead he wouldnt get a noticable fps increase.

Would the AMD A10-6300K be enough or should I switch motherboard and CPU entirely?

If you could grab something like a used i5 2500k and a P67/Z68 motherboard for cheap that would be a much better upgrade. I don't think that the A10-6300K is that big of an upgrade when it comes to single threaded performance.

Would the AMD A10-6300K be enough or should I switch motherboard and CPU entirely?

Simply for longevity purposes i would suggest getting a new motherboard and cpu. However the A10 should be fine unless you are going with a high end graphics card 970/r9 290 or above.

You can get an i5-4440 for $177 and cheap H81M mobo for $45.

Then stick with your current GPU until you can get a good 2nd hand card for the remaining money.

Something along these lines or perhaps a z97 motherboard and Broadwell cpu when they come out. Really depends. You could even go with a fx-8350. Like others said i would suggest getting the cpu (and motherboard should you decide to switch platforms) first then getting a gpu in the event you cant upgrade everything at once.