[GUIDE] For noobyz who wants to try linux!

I see there is lot of you guys who wants to move to linux, and i must admit, that is beautiful. :)
So i was thinking, and looking around everyone's was like: What to use, where to move, do i need this, do i need that.
I will make one simple post to make everyone's life easy. I hope Linus can make video about this if shows to be a good guide.

1. You never used Linux, and you want to try that "new world of hacking" and you dont know what and how to move. You need to decide which distribution you want to use before you go anywhere.
- Probably you heard about Ubuntu. But STOP! Just don't. Ubuntu is one of the worst choices you can make.

Options:

Elementary OS (http://elementaryos.org/) - It's nice, little laggy but if you are one of those guys who care about how system looks, then this is your system.

1-big.png

Deepin (http://www.linuxdeepin.com/) - Same as Elementary OS, but if i was noob and just started, i will definitely pick this one.

feature_img_02_en.png

Linux Mint (http://www.linuxmint.com/) - This is for type of guys who care less about how system looks, but how it works, if you want perfect system witch Linux can give you easy, you can definitely pick Linux Mint (I pref Xfce, but for you as beginner i would recommend Cinnamon)

Linux-Mint-14-Cinnamon-Edition_menu.png

Bonus:

If you ever google: How to hack this, that, etc, etc.. You would probably see guy on video whos using some hardcore linux system. That is Kali (or BackTrack) Kali is Linux made for guys whos working on pentesting and security, with preinstalled Metasploit and things like that. If you are beginner, please don't even think about installing Kali, because it's still BETA and it's project made from BackTrack (who's don't exist anymore) and many thing you expect to have on system when you start, you just don't have.

Other one is "Arch Linux", grate system, stabil, and everything, but there is no even a GUI for installation. So dont even think to download that.
(I'm saying this so you wouldn't end up thinking: WTF LINUX, WHAT IS THIS?!)

2. So you pick your favorite, and end up with .ISO file. What to do next?
One option is to burn it on CD (Does anyone have CD reader in 2015? Nah)

2. Option is to make bootable USB, you can do that by downloading "USB Pen Drive Linux" find "Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3", and trust me. Easy as 1,2,3 is too much, it's easy as 1. You just need to pick OS, from rly big list (this software even works if you want to make USB with windows, yeha supports Windows too), select .ISO, select F:/, E:/ whatever is name of ur USB in that moment. Click "Create", and sit and wait. Then you have bootable USB drive.

Universal-USB-Installer.png

3. You installed your Linux system, but what now? Where can I download drivers, WHERE IS INTERNET EXPLORER?!

Linux in 99% don't even need drivers, and it comes with preinstalled Mozilla Firefox (There is Chrome version for Linux dont worry), and updates are easy as 1,2.
Just open "Terminal" you can find it wherever you look, they just type: "sudo apt-get update", he will ask you for your password of user, then show you 902182903 of lines then ask you simply Y/N, type "Y", hit enter, and wait for him to finish (takes about 2-3 min), and whola, updates are installed! (What, don't need to wait 5h like on Windows 7. Nop)

4. Ok so i now want sublime text editor. (for exp.)
Just open terminal again and type "sudo apt-get install sublime-text", he will ask you again for Y/N, type "Y" ENTER if you want. And whola, you have text editor, just like that. You don't even need to go to website, find .exe, then scan it for viruses, install, say yes for admin rights... Nop.
If you want that, extension name of Debian applications is ".deb", but in most cases you will just install things thru terminal.

5. For the end i will try to put basics things here, to work thru terminal.
sudo bash - He will ask you for password, this will keep root (admin on Windows) rights in terminal, so you dont need to type sudo something every time.

cd /dir/dir - Move to another direcotry

mv somefie.somthing /dir/dir/somefie.somthing - Move file to another direcotry.

mkdir newdir - Make new dir.

apt-get install [name_of_package] - Install something through terminal (If you know name of package)

rm nameoffile.somthing - Remove file.

ls -lah - This will give you nice view of files in directory with CHMOD (google for that), file size in MB/GB..

zip -r name-of-zip.zip nameofdir - Zip whole directory.

chmod [chmod number] name of file - You will change rights to file, google abou that.

Linux isn't easy to use, and it's hard to move from Windows. But i hope this will give you little kick to try to understand. I will try to keep this topic alive, if anyone wants to add more explanations, ask something etc.
Have nice Penguin day. :D

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If a distro, in this case Linux Mint, doesn't have a safe way to upgrade between versions, and when things go wrong, the suggested way to fix it is "reinstall.", then it isn't a good starting point for beginners.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If a distro, in this case Linux Mint, doesn't have a safe way to upgrade between versions, and when things go wrong, the suggested way to fix it is "reinstall.", then it isn't a good starting point for beginners.

I'm using Mint for about 2-3 years now. Never had any problem.
This is all from personal experience.

I've been thinking of using Linux for a while now, but i can't seem to convince myself.

What can i do on Linux that i can't on Windows?

Or why would Linux be better?

"If you ain't first, you're last"

I myself have used the Zorin distro more than any other linux distro, though even at that it hasn't been much as I don't have a whole lot of time to fuck around with stuff like that..

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I've been thinking of using Linux for a while now, but i can't seem to convince myself.

What can i do on Linux that i can't on Windows?

Or why would Linux be better?

Many, many things, there is lot of tools "beyond the system".

That is nice. When i was using Kali, it was still beta. So yeha nice to hear that there is stabil version.