LG G4 To Feature A 3K Display

qwertywarrior

This is just stupid phones neither have the hardware nor the batteries to actually support such resolutions.
1440p was already over the top I can't even see the pixel on my G3 from a normal view distance.
I rather have a 1080p 10bit OLED display and more battery life than a 1620p display.

RTX2070OC 

i-have-special-eyes-gif.gif

screw the superbowl,  this has WON the internet for the day

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

A 5" 900p display is still 367ppi. There is no way that isn't enough. And if it isn't for you you should probably take for phone directly off you eyeballs.

We'll agree to disagree.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'm ok with 1080p screens; 720p are good enough, but going full hd is a nice touch, and feels more compatible with some content, specially if you are hooked up to a TV or similar. But 1440p is just ridiculous and going over that is plain stupidity.

The GPUs are not there yet on mobile, and the 1-day battery is a concept that we embraced because we didn't had the technology once the smartphones started getting developed, but it was understood that it was a big point to address once the development got there.

The thing is companies are so busy fighting this stupid flagship wars, where the top tier model competes with the other champions; well guess what, we don't care about the flagship device if all you can do is increase the damn screen resolution. Where are the big batteries? The amazing cameras? The well engineered features? Just get your $hit together manufacturers.

I'm ok with 1080p screens; 720p are good enough, but going full hd is a nice touch, and feels more compatible with some content, specially if you are hooked up to a TV or similar. But 1440p is just ridiculous and going over that is plain stupidity.

The GPUs are not there yet on mobile, and the 1-day battery is a concept that we embraced because we didn't had the technology once the smartphones started getting developed, but it was understood that it was a big point to address once the development got there.

The thing is companies are so busy fighting this stupid flagship wars, where the top tier model competes with the other champions; well guess what, we don't care about the flagship device if all you can do is increase the damn screen resolution. Where are the big batteries? The amazing cameras? The well engineered features? Just get your $hit together manufacturers.

I agree but the problem is they can't do anything else.

Battery technology probably won't change till we get graphene batteries and for a better camera you need a bigger sensor and lens which make the phone more bulky.

The only thing they can really change is the processor and screen.

RTX2070OC 

We'll agree to disagree.

I guess so, but if if retina is classified as 326ppi from 10 inches (the point you can long depict pixels from each other ) I don't see why something like like 370ppi is an issue. Why are you that close to your phone?

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

I guess so, but if if retina is classified as 326ppi from 10 inches (the point you can long depict pixels from each other ) I don't see why something like like 370ppi is an issue. Why are you that close to your phone?

Retina is simply a phrase coined by Apple.

Everyone's eyes are different, that's a generalization.

Also, text is a lot crisper and there are less jaggies on a 1080p display.

Several phone reviewers have stated they can see higher crispness with a 1440p display. 720p to 1080p is a bigger jump.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Retina is simply a phrase coined by Apple.

Everyone's eyes are different, that's a generalization.

Also, text is a lot crisper and there are less jaggies on a 1080p display.

Several phone reviewers have stated they can see higher crispness with a 1440p display. 720p to 1080p is a bigger jump.

I guess you are no familiar with the placebo effect, I had a single pixel lit on my 4.5" 720p display show casing the difference in size between uy scuti and the sun and I had to tell each and every person that looked at it (4 people) that the sun was actually represented by a pixel, not just black. If you think you can tell the difference between 1080p and 1440p on a 5" display or less you are lying to yourself. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

LG for you.

They have some weird fetish for high resolution screens.

They probably won't stop pushing till they reach 8K phone screens.

They also have a weird fetish with curves..

Hate how most phones are about bigger, faster and higher resolution instead of battery. I have 720p on my original LG Optimus G, that is plenty.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

Why do phones even need a bigger display 1080p or 720p are already good enough pretty sure this will just drain the battery more faster with this display.

Oh gosh, this post.

Why do phones even need a bigger display

Moar pixelz != bigger displays.

1080p or 720p are already good enough

1080p on a 5.5" display is fine, but 720p? Ugh, I'm sick just thinking about it.

The G3 already has horrible battery life, but maybe the 810 will help with that?

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

I guess you are no familiar with the placebo effect, I had a single pixel lit on my 4.5" 720p display show casing the difference in size between uy scuti and the sun and I had to tell each and every person that looked at it (4 people) that the sun was actually represented by a pixel, not just black. If you think you can tell the difference between 1080p and 1440p on a 5" display or less you are lying to yourself. 

It's not a placebo.

With your 4.5", 720p screen the average person should be able to see individual pixels from about ~28cm away (or closer). But remember, "average" means that about 50% of people have better vision than that. It is not uncommon for people to have 20/16 vision, and for those people they would be able to see the pixels from about 35cm away. 20/12 is more rare but there are still quite a lot of people with it, and for those people they should be able to see pixels on your screen from about 45cm away.

What if a person with 20/16 holds the phone let's say 20cm away? All of a sudden we need 556 PPI to not see the pixels. This is also assuming a full RGB subpixel matrix, which a lot of phones don't have.

All of this is just for the regular "resolve two separate points" as well, something we humans are not that good at. Our ability to see if two lines are misaligned is fantastic though, and for "retina" grade displays in that area even a person with average vision needs well above 800 PPI (I haven't calculated an exact number so take that number with a grain of salt).

Info about how I got all those numbers here.

It's not a placebo.

With your 4.5", 720p screen the average person should be able to see individual pixels from about ~28cm away (or closer). But remember, "average" means that about 50% of people have better vision than that. It is not uncommon for people to have 20/16 vision, and for those people they would be able to see the pixels from about 35cm away. 20/12 is more rare but there are still quite a lot of people with it, and for those people they should be able to see pixels on your screen from about 45cm away.

What if a person with 20/16 holds the phone let's say 20cm away? All of a sudden we need 556 PPI to not see the pixels. This is also assuming a full RGB subpixel matrix, which a lot of phones don't have.

All of this is just for the regular "resolve two separate points" as well, something we humans are not that good at. Our ability to see if two lines are misaligned is fantastic though, and for "retina" grade displays in that area even a person with average vision needs well above 800 PPI (I haven't calculated an exact number so take that number with a grain of salt).

Info about how I got all those numbers here.

It's nice that you feel that way but it's all kinda crap. There are clearly a ton of people who agree with me on this matter and only the oddball who claims they can see better than what is actually possible. If you mean taking a 4.5" 720p screen lighting a single white pixel on a black screen with the brightness up high then yes you should be able to see that single pixel, but to differentiate between pixels or get the what looks like an aliased image you need much lower ppi than that. 

It's nice that you feel that way but it's all kinda crap. There are clearly a ton of people who agree with me on this matter and only the oddball who claims they can see better than what is actually possible. If you mean taking a 4.5" 720p screen lighting a single white pixel on a black screen with the brightness up high then yes you should be able to see that single pixel, but to differentiate between pixels or get the what looks like an aliased image you need much lower ppi than that. 

If you read the post I linked to, you would see that the things I say are not just "the way I feel".

1) It's not crap, it's math. I value that far more than uncontrolled tests with very small sample groups.

2) Lots of people agreeing with you does not equal being right. We used to burn people for being witches, and the majority were okay with that because they thought it was true. Now we know better.

3) Here is a graph to see if a certain PPI matches our eyes at a certain distance. I chose 10cm as the minimum because that's the closest your average adult can focus.

post-216-0-68730800-1422907154.png

Seems like I and many others have absolutely terrible vision in order to be satisfied with 1080p on a 5" phone. 

=snip=

I went from 720p on 4.5" to 1080p on 5.5". What a fantastic improvement. People who want less than that are being pedantic. I think at this point, 1080p panels should be your bare minimum especially on large phones like the N6 or 6+. 1440p is nice since its that little bit more, the jump isn't as much as 720 to 1080, but its still there. 

And more to the point, LG won't stop just because its past the point of diminishing returns. LG and others will keep shoving in more simply because the technology allows it, even if the need isn't entirely apparent. 

I'll put it another way. 30 years ago, supercars had 300-400 horsepower and did 0-60mph in 5 seconds and could crack 175mph like it was nothing. That was then. It was (and still is) more than what 99.9% of the population needs. Yet today, we have supercars packing 1000hp, doing 0-60 in under 2 seconds, and rocketing towards 250mph or more. Do we need it? Hell no. We want it. And the engineers keep pushing the boundaries based on the technology they currently have at their disposal. 

Maybe LG just finds it economical to have a 3K panel AND a panel that doesn't affect battery life because it doesn't tax the GPU and CPU as much to be powered and to show graphics. Who knows. We certainly don't at this point, since its just shooting in the dark. Lets wait for reviews to pop up telling us the battery life and whether a 3K panel actually harmed it. If not, why not have one? 

So a 3k screen + a GPU that is powerful enough to handle that . 20 minutes of Asphalt 8 ?(obviously not as low as that but still)

Everyone said that a 1440 screen would drain battery but I'm running on normal 2.5 days on my Note 4.

1 full day on a 4k screen, I'm sold.

X-10 - 7980XE - Gigabyte Aorous Gaming 9 - 128GB GSkill TridentZ RGB - SLI Asus GTX 1080 TI Strix
Easy Desk GuideMalware Removal Guide - New mobo, Same OS Guide

If you read the post I linked to, you would see that the things I say are not just "the way I feel".

1) It's not crap, it's math. I value that far more than uncontrolled tests with very small sample groups.

2) Lots of people agreeing with you does not equal being right. We used to burn people for being witches, and the majority were okay with that because they thought it was true. Now we know better.

3) Here is a graph to see if a certain PPI matches our eyes at a certain distance. I chose 10cm as the minimum because that's the closest your average adult can focus.

attachicon.gifPPI.png 

Very few lucky have 20/10 vision, lot of people have 20/15 vision , majority have 20/20 and the rest has worst........ so basically if you look at your graph , at 550ppi or so, it would be enough for the vast majority of people (75-80%) to not be able to distinct a pixel while staying at 22.5CM (between 20 and 25, 30 is a bit far imo). But you can also conclude that more than 50% of people would be satisfied with a 350ppi screen.

That doesn't show the possible differences in text.

4 people is hardly a large enough pool to make a generalization from.

I didn't say the last part, now did I?

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

I have to ask... Why? I can't see any benefit, it's just going to drain battery. IMO 1080p is enough for a 5 or so inch phone. 

yeah! 720-1080p for smartphones is enough for me..this is the reason I went back into desktops since I can't really enjoy gaming in smartphones..how I really wish to play 4K at my desktop.lol

attachicon.gifPPI.png

I honestly don't feel like arguing, my girlfriend has 20/16 vision and I had to point out the sun was actually represent as an orange dot on my moto g in this image http://i.imgur.com/7aYbwwY.png

If my girlfriend of that caliber of vision cannot see it without pressing her eyes up against the screen I don't believe for a second your silly little graph is accurate at all. And 11 people liking what I said versus victorious secret agreeing with you isn't  exactly by small margin. I know it's not exactly scientific but when it comes to the matter of perception I would be willing to stake my bet on the people on LTT over some random webpage. 

@SeanBond, internet likes and "asking 4 people you know" doesn't constitute anything. Get ONE THOUSAND people to agree you with while performing a scientifically controlled test. 

Likes aren't a measure of validity...they are just likes. Don't go looking for zebras. 

@SeanBond, internet likes and "asking 4 people you know" doesn't constitute anything. Get ONE THOUSAND people to agree you with while performing a scientifically controlled test. 

Likes aren't a measure of validity...they are just likes. Don't go looking for zebras. 

Like are not a measure a validity as long as we are not basing something on statistical facts but rather this is a matter of perception. Not an argument of which gpu gets more fps.