LG G4 To Feature A 3K Display

qwertywarrior

I have the LG G3 and can't imagine I would anything more than this.

Even for my monitor, 1440p is enough for me.

I agree with others, this money should be spent on R&D to improve battery life and less heat.

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Unless you hold your phone 4" from your eyeballs then there is no reason to go higher than 720p at 5". I don't know about Android and iOS but my Windows Phone has anti-aliasing on text/GUI elements so if Android/iOS don't support anti-aliasing then I do see why you would want 1080p or higher. But this 3K and 4K on 5" phones is just a penis measuring contest.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Unless you hold your phone 4" from your eyeballs then there is no reason to go higher than 720p at 5". I don't know about Android and iOS but my Windows Phone has anti-aliasing on text/GUI elements so if Android/iOS don't support anti-aliasing then I do see why you would want 1080p or higher. But this 3K and 4K on 5" phones is just a penis measuring contest.

I disagree with this... especially for text. I do a lot of reading when i'm out and about on my phone, and it's nice for the crispness. Above 1440p? Nope.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

A 5" 900p display is still 367ppi. There is no way that isn't enough. And if it isn't for you you should probably take for phone directly off you eyeballs.

yeah but a 1080p display fits alot of content nicely, and the price difference between 900p and 1080p is not that great anymore

But-why-meme-generator-but-why-84103d-30 

I have a 1080p screen in my 6 plus...401ppi is perfect. I have never seen the pixels under any use. And is still get almost 2 days of battery...

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

Well, since we can see up to 876ppi at 4" and 2100ppi at 0", this isn't ENTIRELY crazy.

That said, for now the 401ppi of my OPO is fine. Wouldn't mind 1440p or higher, though.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

By the time I upgrade my LG G2, the damn things are gonna be 8k with 5 minutes of battery life. 

stop already LG, the G2 screen is already "retina" lol, let alone the G3   :(

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

3k.. huh 

3 is half of 6 

3 g4's = 666

Lg=illuminati

I bet it's just made for showing off or basketball players, a 5'6 person couldn't use it

I think its probably for a tablet, not a phone.

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

Why do phones even need a bigger display 1080p or 720p are already good enough pretty sure this will just drain the battery more faster with this display.

I thought my 720p panel was decent but I appreciated the jump to a 1080p panel on my phone (I watch a lot of videos off my NAS, so its nice to have that increased resolution) but 2K,3K and 4K screens on phones? 

Ehh. I'm trying to see it, but I don't really see it. Hah. See it. I'm so punny. 

Really? Will it really be woth the performance/battery hit? I have a note 3 and its 1080p and i have cant imagine needing more more than 386 PPI, nor do i really care for more pixels besides maybe 1440p. But if this is the way things are going, awesome gimme more pixels.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

my phone is gonna have a 4k display before i my desktop does icri

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Still see no reason to have 2k-3k screens on phones...

Anything around 400ppi is ideal for me. (Talking HTC One M8, iPhone 6+ ppi). What I'd rather see is more phones moving to OLED. Say what you want about "over saturated colors" i'm not doing any photo editing on my phone anyway. 

yeah but a 1080p display fits alot of content nicely, and the price difference between 900p and 1080p is not that great anymore

On a tiny device the difference is so insignificant I can promise you couldn't tell the difference between the two.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

On a tiny device the difference is so insignificant I can promise you couldn't tell the difference between the two.

and from experience i can tell you you can notice the difference on 5inches

and from experience i can tell you you can notice the difference on 5inches

If you think so. I have a 4.5" moto g and I can light 1 pixel on it and 95% of people won't be able to see it without pressing their eyes against it. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Wow... so much bullshit and misinformation in this thread about PPI being useless.

Personally, I think 1440p is where we should draw the line for now. In the future we should definitely upgrade to more. Even with going to 3K there will be a benefit for lots of people, but the difference is not big enough to justify the big performance impact it will have. I'd rather see the extra power of the 810's GPU to towards higher frame rate and/or longer battery life.

And no, for the love of God no. 720p is not enough at 5", unless you have below average vision and is holding your phone more than more than 30cm away from your face. Even then your eyes are super sensitive to misaligned lines, so even with bad eye sight and holding your phone more than 30cm away you still need maybe 600 or more PPI to truly have a retina screen.

By the way, the 2560x1440 version of the S5 uses a subpixel matrix with 1/3 less red and blue subpixels. So the PPI for free might be 576, but for blue and red it is Below 400.

Same reason why the Nexus 6 won't look as sharp as the Nexus 5. It has more green subpixels per inch but fewer red and blue ones, resulting in an overall decrease in subpixels per inch.

Wow... so much bullshit and misinformation in this thread about PPI being useless.

Personally, I think 1440p is where we should draw the line for now. In the future we should definitely upgrade to more. Even with going to 3K there will be a benefit for lots of people, but the difference is not big enough to justify the big performance impact it will have. I'd rather see the extra power of the 810's GPU to towards higher frame rate and/or longer battery life.

And no, for the love of God no. 720p is not enough at 5", unless you have below average vision and is holding your phone more than more than 30cm away from your face. Even then your eyes are super sensitive to misaligned lines, so even with bad eye sight and holding your phone more than 30cm away you still need maybe 600 or more PPI to truly have a retina screen.

I'm glad I'm not the only one in this mindset.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Do people not understand manufacturing of displays? Why would they keep an old machine running when they could just have all there machines making 4k displays for both tvs, laptops and phones so there not tied down to one product for all there profits!!!! This why when 8k becomes mainstream we will probably start to see 8k displays on phones and so on.

I notice 1440p on my G3, but even then it's because I have more trained eyes for higher resolutions. However, I highly doubt I'm going to notice the jump from 1440p to 3k, it will cause more problems than it's worth

what! how does that work

Better battery life, more true colors on OLED screens, less heat, better connectivity.

omfg this. the g3 is stuoid when it comes to heat and can never use the full 100% brightness on the screen because the damn thing is too hot.....i just took you out my fucking pocket!

*clears throat*

http://youtu.be/V3y3QoFnqZc

there is no 1 rule when it comes to ppi its all dependent on your eys how well you see screen size viewing distance etc.

as a g3 owner you can see the difference between the g3 and the iphone 6 but its not massive. as for the 6+ if there side by side and your viewing text you can notice the difference but on images not so much. TBF any crispness advantage from the g3 is OBLITERATED by the washed out look of the display. its a nice phone dont get me wrong but i would rather have 1080 and better performance than 1440 with lower performance

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

serisouly even 720p is decent enough for 5 inches. I would rather have much better battery life. I wonder why they don't make 900p phones. That seems like the sweet spot. 

lol 720p is not really nice on a 5" phone.

All i hope is that they dont do the fcking ridiculous sharpening that they use on the G3

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

what! how does that work

omfg this. the g3 is stuoid when it comes to heat and can never use the full 100% brightness on the screen because the damn thing is too hot.....i just took you out my fucking pocket!

*clears throat*

there is no 1 rule when it comes to ppi its all dependent on your eys how well you see screen size viewing distance etc.

as a g3 owner you can see the difference between the g3 and the iphone 6 but its not massive. as for the 6+ if there side by side and your viewing text you can notice the difference but on images not so much. TBF any crispness advantage from the g3 is OBLITERATED by the washed out look of the display. its a nice phone dont get me wrong but i would rather have 1080 and better performance than 1440 with lower performance

Am I the only one who has never once had a heat issue OR battery issue? On 90% auto brightness, with medium usage, at the end of the day, I'm left with at least 75% charge.

what! how does that work

Am I the only one who has never once had a heat issue OR battery issue? On 90% auto brightness, with medium usage, at the end of the day, I'm left with at least 75% charge.

I was just going to say, i dont have a heat issue or battery problems. I usually leave it at 70% all day and still get 4-5h screen on time with 4g active all the time and then charge it when i get home late at night

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

must be. i cant record 4k past 5 min and 1080 past 10.  though since the update my battery is miles better 2 days usage now vs 1 before...at a push

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017