Ultimate Programming Resources Thread

Markmjb

For python anoter good one is Django and a good tutorial would be www.djangobook.com I have been using it and it is great

yet not one reference to any mathmatics at all....

alegbra

trigonometry

hell even grade school 1+1 math

all coding is from machine interpretation of on or off or 1 or 0

when you "add" series of 1 or 0 you get resulting function

23 hours ago, bcguru9384 said:

yet not one reference to any mathmatics at all....

alegbra

trigonometry

hell even grade school 1+1 math

all coding is from machine interpretation of on or off or 1 or 0

when you "add" series of 1 or 0 you get resulting function

To be honest, that's more algorythmic not programming.  I've seen a lot of programmers who have never achieved a high school degree but can still work effectively because of experience.  They learn things from others, and develop algorythmic thinking as they go a long.  And as a bonus, they understand math better!  I think math is useful if you need it TO develop a program, but programming on it's own requires only basic maths.  

1 hour ago, Mike_The_B0ss said:

To be honest, that's more algorythmic not programming.  I've seen a lot of programmers who have never achieved a high school degree but can still work effectively because of experience.  They learn things from others, and develop algorythmic thinking as they go a long.  And as a bonus, they understand math better!  I think math is useful if you need it TO develop a program, but programming on it's own requires only basic maths.  

well good luck

as math is very important skill to have

very overlooked skill

very very overlooked

half the "programmers" i have met i would never have hired

ever

poor skills and next to no creativity

their great at memorizing but horrible at thinking

thus their problem solving skills are non existent

11 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

well good luck

very overlooked skill

very very overlooked

half the "programmers" i have met i would never have hired

ever

poor skills and next to no creativity

their great at memorizing but horrible at thinking

thus their problem solving skills are non existent

Well you bring up good points, but after all it is just a beginning tutorial in basic python website programming.

4 hours ago, bcguru9384 said:

It depends but in general... No it's really not.

The mindset that mathematics is a critical bar to entry is draconian and highly obsolete in today's industry. 

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

1 minute ago, Nuluvius said:

It depends but in general... No it's really not.

The mindset that mathematics is a critical bar to entry is draconian and highly obsolete in today's industry. 

then make sure to thank your grandparents generation for doing all the math for you

without calculator.exe you have no programming languages

13 minutes ago, bcguru9384 said:

then make sure to thank your grandparents generation for doing all the math for you

without calculator.exe you have no programming languages

That made me giggle :D

So all this time and my career was really built on lies and other people's hard work? And I don't have any right to any of the skills that I've learned? I feel so bad for being discalculate. I should give up my luxurious and very decadent lifestyle and go back to driving vans for a living xD

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

52 minutes ago, Nuluvius said:

That made me giggle :D

So all this time and my career was really built on lies and other people's hard work? And I don't have any right to any of the skills that I've learned? I feel so bad for being discalculate. I should give up my luxurious and very decadent lifestyle and go back to driving vans for a living xD

no please do not operate vehicle as this takes math to figure out stopping distances and pedal pressure levels and all must be timed correctly

1 hour ago, bcguru9384 said:

no please do not operate vehicle as this takes math to figure out stopping distances and pedal pressure levels and all must be timed correctly

Maybe stacking shelves then? Or looking after nutters in a mental hospital? Oh I know... Flipping burgers for a living!

• 3 weeks later...

If you're interested in doing something with 'internet of Things' applications, then you might want to take a look at crossbar.io.

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

A free eBook I highly recommend for C# is "C# Programming - Yellow Book" which you can find here.

• 4 weeks later...

Two editors definetly missing are:

• Atom
  • Visual Studio Code
  • Eclipse Orion

And as Language: Lua with its documentation as a resource.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2015-02-23 at 3:02 AM, I337yoSh11 said:

A few good IDE's would be Atom and Aptana Studio, both of which can be used for a broad spectrum of languages.

Atom: https://atom.io/

Aptana: http://www.aptana.com/

Side note: Atom can also be used on Linux, so that's a plus.

I use monodevelop and visual studio.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

• 1 month later...

I'd also recommend FreeCodeCamp for general resources and atom as a text editor

• 2 weeks later...

Can we update the OP to include Golang resources as well? I was going to ask on the forum what the best IDE's for Golang would be, but I figure other people might to know as well. Tutorials for Golang are on the Golang docs page, so that can also be linked for reference.

• 2 months later...

You forgot the most important resources.m for beginner. YOUTUBE!!! channels like thenewboston are all self teaching coders best friend

Sudo make me a sandwich 

• 1 month later...

so glad i found this thread. want to start to learn programming and wanna start with python

• 4 weeks later...

Humble Book Bundle: DIY Electronics By Wiley

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/diy-electronics-books?hmb_source=receipt_page&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_1_layout_index_1_layout_type_fours_tile_index_3

Starts from $1. For 15$ you get all 14 books (digital: PDF and ePub). 2 days left

CPU: i7-12700KF Grill Plate Edition // MOBO: Asus Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 // RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz CL14 

GPU: MSI GTX 1080 FE // PSU: Corsair RM750i // CASE: Thermaltake Core X71 // BOOT: Samsung Evo 960 500GB

STORAGE: WD PC SN530 512GB + Samsung Evo 860 500GB // COOLING: Full custom loop // DISPLAY: LG 34UC89G-B

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

https://www.raywenderlich.com for iOS, Android, Swift, and Kotlin tutorials.  They have some Unity and Unreal Engine stuff too, but I haven't gone through those much, as I prefer Godot for game development.  Disclaimer: I work for them but I used the site to learn iOS programming before I got hired.