AMD offering a deal on their cards if you return your 970!

TheMidnightNarwhal

So does anyone know what the deal is? 20% off the upcoming 380x maybe

Why would they give you percentage off a new card thats going to sell like hotcakes just from its pure and extreme reign over the "hyper efficient" 9xx series?

/half hoping half trolling

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Why would they give you percentage off a new card thats going to sell like hotcakes just from its pure and extreme reign over the "hyper efficient" 9xx series?

/half hoping half trolling

Man imagine if the new AMD cards had like 120 W TDP.

We can dream at least,

AMD is awesome for doing this.  Why would any consumer complain about this?  Seriously the idiots in this thread that say this is low move by AMD get real.  It is Nvidia who lied to the consumer.  I bet the people that defend Nvidia are the same people that think New England should still be in the NFL and be playing in this year's Super Bowl.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

well another one ... but still less crap than amd's drivers 

Have you even used AMD's most recent drivers? Judging by your significant lack of knowledge, i think the answer is no. :D

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | PSU: Enermax Revolution87+ 850W | Motherboard: MSI Z97 MPOWER MAX AC | GPU 1: MSI R9 290X Lightning | CPU: Intel Core i7 4790k | SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2 | HDDs: 2x 3TB WD Black (RAID1) | CPU Cooler: Silverstone Heligon HE01 | RAM: 4 x 4GB Team Group 1600Mhz

I'll still go with the 970, thank you though AMD. :)

So you would buy a product that Nvidia clearly lied to you about?  Man this world is full of idiots.  I love certain things about Green Team but I sure as heck wouldn't buy a GTX 970 or any card from them right now.

EVGA are doing that if you have a EVGA card...

EVGA can *******. They were passing off old cooling solutions onto the GTX 970s so anything EVGA is doing I really don't care about.

Still curious to see what deal AMD is offering for it. I would not mind switching back to AMD to get myself a freesync ultrawide.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

So you would buy a product that Nvidia clearly lied to you about?  Man this world is full of idiots.  I love certain things about Green Team but I sure as heck wouldn't buy a GTX 970 or any card from them right now.

I wouldnt go as far as name calling. I personally cannot understand supporting a product that used blatant flat faced lies as marketing materials but the card does still perform very well.

That said I think we do need to send a message to Nvidia that this shit isnt goign to fly otherwise it'll slowly become more commonplace, so in that light i'm 100% for returning the cards.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

I wouldnt go as far as name calling. I personally cannot understand supporting a product that used blatant flat faced lies as marketing materials but the card does still perform very well.

That said I think we do need to send a message to Nvidia that this shit isnt goign to fly otherwise it'll slowly become more commonplace, so in that light i'm 100% for returning the cards.

It is not name calling.  It is a word in the dictionary I decided to use to describe some people.  I am allowed that.

I have a hard time finding that reddit entry. if you would remember where this was, i would be soooo glaaad. :D

Found it yet? I did a post in PCMR asking if someone found it but still nothing. Nice cat, btw,

Found it yet? I did a post in PCMR asking if someone found it but still nothing. Nice cat, btw,

Thanks. :D

Naw, i am not using reddit so it's a little difficult getting around.

who cares...

Nvidia's PR team is fucked.

They should have handled this much better from the start.  Offer 970 owners $25+ off their next Nvidia GPU.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Again...NVIDIA just lied to your goddamn face....and AMD is the asshole? 

Come.Off.It.

Shall we start revealing AMD's lies then?

- Back in CES 2014 claiming to have variable refresh rate working on a laptop when the OSD was fucking lying. http://www.anandtech.com/show/7641/amd-demonstrates-freesync-free-gsync-alternative-at-ces-2014

- Advertising a 8350 as an octacore, making a 2nd integer scheduler and moving some ALU's there isn't forming a core. 4 front-ends = quad core and in the 8350's case a quadcore with CMT.

- 290x reference is quiet at quiet mode

- Mantle offering significant performance boost over DX in both CPU, GPU -> Nope only against their own broken DirectX drivers, compared to Nvidia's there's no almost no difference. Here's AMD's own API overhead benchmark;

i7_sw_1920.png

- Mantle being the first low-level graphics API, D3D9 was already low-level which was been released in 2002 and the development started in 1999 for the first Xbox >.>

- 8 core multithreaded optimization BS,

Mantle; http://i57.tinypic.com/2mnoz2u.jpg(only 5 threads)

- 8 core parallel rendering, yeah hence why 8350's are still twice as slow in Thief

- 9x more drawcalls than DirectX, nope 

09.jpg

It's rather worse, AMD claims that D3D only has around 3.5-5K draw calls/frame and Mantle 10K; http://www.geeks3d.com/20131113/amd-mantle-first-interesting-slides-and-details-target-100k-draw-calls-per-frame/

WkGO3Bn.jpg

- 8350 50% faster than quad core nehalem i7's meaning 20% faster than a 980x 

http://vr-zone.com/articles/rumour-bulldozer-50-faster-than-core-i7-950-and-phenom-ii-x6-1100t/10819.html

Mantle vs DX API overhead tests; http://www.overclock.net/t/1528559/directx-driver-overhead-and-why-mantle-is-a-selling-point-bunch-of-benchmarks/80

We can go on and on when we have to be honest about AMD's PR and lets not forget what kinda fishy marketing theyre playing atm to sell their CPU's. All of their CPU's are literally a scam.

Nvidia's PR team is fucked.

They should have handled this much better from the start.  Offer 970 owners $25+ off their next Nvidia GPU.

A guy peter at Nvidia, helped a guy out on a forum getting him a 980 for free through Newegg. AMD isn't offering their 600$ card 295x2 for free. 

Thanks. :D

Naw, i am not using reddit so it's a little difficult getting around.

Yeah, I know I saw it, I remember. Let me know if you ever decide to contact ASUS about it, I would like to know what they say he he.

Shall we start revealing AMD's lies then?

- Back in CES 2014 claiming to have variable refresh rate working on a laptop when the OSD was fucking lying. http://www.anandtech.com/show/7641/amd-demonstrates-freesync-free-gsync-alternative-at-ces-2014

- Advertising a 8350 as an octacore, making a 2nd integer scheduler and moving some ALU's there isn't forming a core. 4 front-ends = quad core and in the 8350's case a quadcore with CMT.

- 290x reference is quiet at quiet mode

- Mantle offering significant performance boost over DX in both CPU, GPU -> Nope only against their own broken DirectX drivers, compared to Nvidia's there's no almost no difference. Here's AMD's own API overhead benchmark;

i7_sw_1920.png

- Mantle being the first low-level graphics API, D3D9 was already low-level which was been released in 2002 and the development started in 1999 for the first Xbox >.>

- 8 core multithreaded optimization BS,

Mantle; http://i57.tinypic.com/2mnoz2u.jpg(only 5 threads)

- 8 core parallel rendering, yeah hence why 8350's are still twice as slow in Thief

- 9x more drawcalls than DirectX, nope 

09.jpg

It's rather worse, AMD claims that D3D only has around 3.5-5K draw calls/frame and Mantle 10K; http://www.geeks3d.com/20131113/amd-mantle-first-interesting-slides-and-details-target-100k-draw-calls-per-frame/

WkGO3Bn.jpg

- 8350 50% faster than quad core nehalem i7's meaning 20% faster than a 980x 

http://vr-zone.com/articles/rumour-bulldozer-50-faster-than-core-i7-950-and-phenom-ii-x6-1100t/10819.html

Mantle vs DX API overhead tests; http://www.overclock.net/t/1528559/directx-driver-overhead-and-why-mantle-is-a-selling-point-bunch-of-benchmarks/80

We can go on and on when we have to be honest about AMD's PR and lets not forget what kinda fishy marketing theyre playing atm to sell their CPU's. All of their CPU's are literally a scam.

A guy peter at Nvidia, helped a guy out on a forum getting him a 980 for free through Newegg. AMD isn't offering their 600$ card 295x2 for free. 

I dont think that anyone here can tell you that AMD hasnt lied or fucked up.

I mean look at their cpu line up.

Yeah, I know I saw it, I remember. Let me know if you ever decide to contact ASUS about it, I would like to know what they say he he.

I found it i guess: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2u2osc/since_i_could_return_my_970_30_day_return_period/

in the last 1/4th of the page.

This is part of a regular EVGA Step up program however. You pay for getting the best harware when it comes out if you return your "Step up program" item to EVGA.

Asus would maybe laugh at me if i asked them. Also, i only have the bill for one of the cards.

who cares...

I found it i guess: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2u2osc/since_i_could_return_my_970_30_day_return_period/

in the last 1/4th of the page.

This is part of a regular EVGA Step up program however. You pay for getting the best harware when it comes out if you return your "Step up program" item to EVGA.

Asus would maybe laugh at me if i asked them. Also, i only have the bill for one of the cards.

What is the username of the guy that commented, can't find it.

I wouldnt go as far as name calling.

Agreed.

I personally cannot understand supporting a product that used blatant flat faced lies as marketing materials but the card does still perform very well.

And that's what everyone on the supposed "Nvidia white knight" (a wrong assumption) side has been saying - it's the same card that it was on launch/review day, regardless of the specs being put under a microscope.

That said I think we do need to send a message to Nvidia that this shit isn't going to fly otherwise it'll slowly become more commonplace, so in that light i'm 100% for returning the cards.

Agreed. I'm in the same boat with you, as well as the people who are supposedly "defending Nvidia" (which is the wrong assumption).

I do however think that the message has been sent. The only thing that I and a some others are taking issue with is the cognitive dissonance on the forum about the whole issue.

I dont think that anyone here can tell you that AMD hasnt lied or fucked up.

I mean look at their cpu line up.

AMD didn't lie? 8350 was advertised as an octocore, it's a quad core. AMD should offer who ever bought a 8350 their 16 core Opterons (which are trutly octocores) for free. I don't see anyone supporting Nvidia's lie here, but I see ALL of you supporting the living shit out of AMD lies. Get real instead of hiding behind a freaking lie.

AMD didn't lie? 8350 was advertised as an octocore, it's a quad core. AMD should offer who ever bought a 8350 their 16 core Opterons (which are trutly octocores) for free. I don't see anyone supporting Nvidia's lie here, but I see ALL of you supporting the living shit out of AMD lies. Get real instead of hiding behind a freaking lie.

?????

Where did i say AMD didnt lie?

Their eight cores are glorified HT quadcores with IPC from the stone age.

I think you didnt understand what i meant.