AMD offering a deal on their cards if you return your 970!

TheMidnightNarwhal

Most of the time people on this forum present arguments and defend reasonable positions. But all it takes is one indefensible, pathetic motherfucking lie to bring out the fanboy inside otherwise rational individuals. 

Any of you that gives into the "No big deal Nvidia you still rock!" argument in my eyes has lost the right to use the term PCMasterRace henceforth: what separates us from the imbeciles on the consoles should be rational arguments, yet I see nothing but fanboys on both sides here, no better.

-------

Current Rig

-------

No its a question.

Then yes, Nvidia does it all the time.

Ha ha ha, yeah. Next GPU, if I go NVIDIA, probably be an EVGA. Did not had a chance to deal with ASUS Canada support yet, nor any but I hear so much good stuff about EVGA.

I wouldn't even know how to approach this. :D

"Dear Madam or Sir,

I am sure you are aware about the VRAM problem on GTX 970 cards. Can i haz 2 980s as an upgrade?"

Even asking feels like i am trying to steal something. :D

who cares...

I wouldn't even know how to approach this. :D

"Dear Madam or Sir,

I am sure you are aware about the VRAM problem on GTX 970 cards. Can i haz 2 980s as an upgrade?"

Even asking feels like i am trying to steal something. :D

Ha ha. Also, I meant 1 980, not 2. :P

Most of the time people on this forum present arguments and defend reasonable positions. But all it takes is one indefensible, pathetic motherfucking lie to bring out the fanboy inside otherwise rational individuals. 

Any of you that gives into the "No big deal Nvidia you still rock!" argument in my eyes has lost the right to use the term PCMasterRace henceforth: what separates us from the imbeciles on the consoles should be rational arguments, yet I see nothing but fanboys on both sides here, no better.

Someone i can agree with here.

lol

i had a talk in with the marketing head if AMD today morning , this is what happened 

-

what I see from this twitter talk

A: there is you throwing non formatted trash talk about something that you clearly do not understand regarding cores

B: he calmly answers no, and corrects you why not

C: you suddenly switch to a different topic not connected the talk before.

D: He makes a valid point, like if you have 4GB RAM, you expect them to be the the same speed

E: you just make up something completely different again as you talk about the ROP numbers I reckon, whereas he was talking about RAM before. you clearly have no idea what you are talking about and he handled it professionally and well, as a marketing manager should

Dying light uses 1.9 GB of VRAM on my card.

Imagine the hell if i had 1.5.

I said I wouldn't mind only on 4gb cards. 4 - .5 = 3.5gb left.

Ha ha. Also, I meant 1 980, not 2. :P

Well i have two 970s so..... :D

who cares...

Well i have two 970s so..... :D

Oh... ha ha ha! Good luck asking xD, if you do try. You should just for the laughs. Tell them their compettitor does it or something.

Oh... ha ha ha! Good luck asking xD, if you do try. You should just for the laughs. Tell them their compettitor does it or something.

I am really tempted. I'll get a coffee and try to think about a good text to approach this. :D

who cares...

I have a hard time finding that reddit entry. if you would remember where this was, i would be soooo glaaad. :D

who cares...

The fanboism is strong in this thread. EDIT: on both sides of the issue - don't crucify me

In truth, AMD doesn't have to do anything at this point. Those who prefer Nvidia will still buy the 970 or 980. Those who prefer AMD will buy AMD. All this did was make it even harder for those who are on the fence for a sub $550 card. Now they'll have to try to pick between the internet's circlejerk about the 970's slow .5 GB of VRAM or AMD's fire-spewing 290s. Some advantage to AMD here for having the lower prices and the heat issues being older and mostly reference cards. But it certainly doesn't make it any easier for non-techies to pick between them.

Also looks like most of this stuff comes from the usual suspects at AMD, not from their own official channels. There is a difference between the two, even if they are employed at AMD like Thracks. An individual should be able to troll like this, but it might be distasteful if the company itself did it. I have no problem with anything they've said yet. Both sides certainly have said worse.

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

Wcq4OBo.gif

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

all i see on the forum is AMD people complaining more than the nvidia people about 970  , this makes me laugh hard 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

The fanboism is strong in this thread.

In truth, AMD doesn't have to do anything at this point. Those who prefer Nvidia will still buy the 970 or 980. Those who prefer AMD will buy AMD. All this did was make it even harder for those who are on the fence for a sub $550 card. Now they'll have to try to pick between the internet's circlejerk about the 970's slow .5 GB of VRAM or AMD's fire-spewing 290s. Some advantage to AMD here for having the lower prices and the heat issues being older and mostly reference cards. But it certainly doesn't make it any easier for non-techies to pick between them.

Also looks like most of this stuff comes from the usual suspects at AMD, not from their own official channels. There is a difference between the two, even if they are employed at AMD like Thracks. An individual should be able to troll like this, but it might be distasteful if the company itself did it. I have no problem with anything they've said yet. Both sides certainly have said worse.

While the 0.5gb is a real disadvantage is not like the card is shit, there's a very specific use case which is SLI since "future" games will outpace the GPU way faster than the ammount of vram: future proofing it's pointless

On the other hand, a lot of people love to make fun of the 290 cause of the heat yet it's very close to it's contemporary cards like the 780, both put similar amounts of heat and both work as good with non-reference cooling solutions. It's still a generation behind, and pricing and availability might make it more/less desirable but still a damn strong card.

Really the only argument is for SLI/Crossfire builds in which for a little bit the best solution was dual 970s but with this limitation dual 290s still makes the most sense for 4k or multiple HD displays.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Wcq4OBo.gif

It's funny because it's wrong. Decline at 3.2GB means you're not running it off of your iGPU. But i guess anyone making lame jokes like this, isn't likely going to have any technical knowledge in the first place.

Even the 980 can start to chug before 4GB if you don't use an iGPU. 

Lol at you for copying it and also looking like a muppet.

Oh this forum sometimes...seriously people you all need to calm down.

Level headed debate is awesome, fanboy debates are stupid.

On topic, I really fail to see why this is a low blow or poor marketing in any way shape or form. If people are returning their cards, they're clearly not satisfied with them.

AMD is going out and saying "hey, we offer a similar product, maybe you'd like to try ours out?"

Their card does indeed have a full 4GB. Sure, the Nvidia card does as well, but that doesn't make the statement any less truthful.

The only reason I can see people getting butthurt about this is they are either diehard fanbois, or they hold shares in Nvidia stock.

I have no allegiance to either brand. I'll take whichever performs the best, at the best price, with the features I want.

I have never, ever understood fanbois. They likely miss out on a lot because they refuse to be diverse.

Now for some comedic relief. I don't think Intel made this (especially with the faggot reference), but deep down inside I really hope they did. It's hilarious.

I for one can appreciate advertising like this.

nvidia-intel-graphic-cards-radeon-575931

If this is so I dislike AMD even more for leeching off of the succes of others by simply not doing anything interesting or innovative and point out wrongdoings in other people's ambitions then good job AMD. I dislike you even more.

This is very cheap on their part. And I don't believe a word of it. 

How are the leeching off the success of others?

Nothing innovative? Who was the first company to put out 4gb cards again? How about the move to 3gb on lower tier cards? Who has multiple GPU options without a bridge?

What don't you believe a word of? Your post makes no sense.

Yes, they can be equally bad for being dicks about it. One person's bad actions does not justify the bad behaviour of the other. And what AMD is doing now is uninspired and juvinile. I mean, the guy who posted the "4GB means 4GB" is even using memes. I mean really? You have a high position in a company and you use memes? 

If someone hits you in the face, and you stab him you will still go to jail.

Are we sure he even is high up in the company?
Anyone can have a Twitter account. For all we know he's simply in sales.

People like identifying with "their" company because they feel like its personal. They forget that they are multi-million (or sometimes billion) dollar corporations that couldnt care less about you as a person. And most people cant remember more than a few product cycles back and forget how good AMD has been for so many years, just because they have had a few cycles of bad CPUs or hot GPUs, and totally forget how nVidia has had cards i could fry eggs on. Or the other way around for god knows how many other things.

People are stupid, companies are just around to make money.

Buy whats best for you, and ignore companies you dont agree with.

Stop white knighting fucking companies, they have lawyers for that shit.

Too true. Very well put.
For example I hate Apple. The way they handle themselves, the way they sue everyone. However I still bought an iPod back in the day because it was simply the best option.

Luckily that's no longer true.

oooh oohh ooooh yes, lets bring this up again!

We cant have a good GPU circlejerk without pretending we care about power consumption! 

Power consumption is important. For many reasons.

While I do agree most people aren't concerned with it, there are others that are. I for one am. I want a small form factor build, or for a SLI/CF set up to not murder itself with heat from the other card. Lower TDP's equate to lower temperatures.

We should all care. It's not just about power cost.

Its not a big deal in terms of savings.

Only PSU cost.

Almost 100w between amd and intel:

Its like 25 bucks a year MAX.

That very much depends on where you live and how much you use your computer. Not everyone has access to cheap power.

It can be many multitudes more than that.

Someone already pointed out the obvious small form factor issues as well as other factors beside cost. So I won't mention that again.

Actually, no, you won't go to jail. Whomever makes the first physical assault is automatically in the wrong and anything you do in retaliation is deemed self defense for as long as you believe there to be an active threat. Guy with the knife will get off scott free, and the idiot who threw the first punch will land his ass in jail once he's out of the hospital.

You're incorrect here. Just because someone punches you, you have absolutely no right to stab them. You would likely both be imprisoned. At least here, where laws make a little more sense.

You have the right to protect yourself with a reasonable level of force. A knife would be considered excessive force.

Of course there are several factors that could change this, including the assailants background (armed forces, physical size differential, etc) but you'd either both end up with jail time, or neither would.

Stabbing him would be considered punishment enough.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

all i see on the forum is AMD people complaining more than the nvidia people about 970  , this makes me laugh hard 

All see is people who either consider themselves, or others, as AMD or Nvidia people. I am PC people, which means I get whatever makes the most sense and I give equal ammounts of crap to AMD for their severe shortcomings in their processors line up (or better said, lack thereof). I get what makes the most sense and criticize every company equally. I think we all should be like that.

-------

Current Rig

-------

That very much depends on where you live and how much you use your computer. Not everyone has access to cheap power.

It can be many multitudes more than that.

Someone already pointed out the obvious small form factor issues as well as other factors beside cost. So I won't mention that again.

@dizmo

I have already mentioned that i have made a build with a 960 ITX for a close friend of mine so i am aware of that.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/297961-mini-itx-console-killer/

Dont think of me as and AMD fanboy , i take offense to that.

I will recommend NVIDIA for the right situation.