AMD offering a deal on their cards if you return your 970!

TheMidnightNarwhal

Wrong. Companies exist to deliver products for reasonable prices. They should not be in the game for the money, and money alone.

And in this case, nvidia provided a good product for a reasonable price. It was advertised incorrectly, but the value was sound.

Its cute that you think that. Companies will always be looking to maximize profit while minimizing costs, thats how you stay in the game. Until companies are all non-profit entities you can keep dreaming about that. Each one handles it a little differently but when it comes down to it, if they can cut corners doing X or Y while only taking Z impact, they will do it.

I didnt say anything about nvidia, i have no horse in that race. Im just sick of people trying to say AMD is better/worse than nVidia, or the other way around. They are both companies that have done shitty things in the past, and will again in the future. People need to move on and just buy what they like (Which is exactly what i said in my first post.)

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

typical marketing maneuver to capitalize on another companies missteps,happens all the time

also .my person  response to amd is this: when you can build a more power effiecent chipset that doesn't have have an insane TWM I may consider it until then thanks for the offer but I am pretty damn happy with my 970.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

typical marketing maneuver to capitalize on another companies missteps,happens all the time

also .my person  response to amd is this: when you can build a more power effiecent chipset that doesn't have have an insane TWM I may consider it until then thanks for the offer but I am pretty damn happy with my 970.

oooh oohh ooooh yes, lets bring this up again!

We cant have a good GPU circlejerk without pretending we care about power consumption! 

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

I actually love when companies do this sort of advertising. It provides much needed comedy to events. You know since companies will always push their biggest features and at times compare themselves to the competition often to promote their own product. So when the competition makes a cock-up you can bet money that rivals will jump on it, often with comedic results since its not an official ad campaign for the product but rather a troll campaign to poke fun at the rivals.

Its like way back when Xbox One would not allow game trade-ins and Sony just came out and said trade-ins allowed. They even made a video just for the purpose of trolling Microsoft and it was hilarious.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

We cant have a good GPU circlejerk without pretending we care about power consumption! 

hmmmh hmmmhmhmhmh yess yesss

Power consumpiton... ohh

PCMASTERRACe.. baby, move your hand quicker

My brand is better than yours. uhh.uh uh hu

GABEENNNNNNN

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

/I think it is the dirtiest post that I have ever written and please do not make me /s here

its not about being a fanboy..... in fact i am thinking about shifting to the 380x for hbm as soon as it comes out .... the thing is amd stooped low by taking undue advantage nothing else 

And nvidia stopped low when they did what they did.

They are both assholes.

Happy?

Is Nvidia less of an asshole and a victim now?

its not about being a fanboy..... in fact i am thinking about shifting to the 380x for hbm as soon as it comes out .... the thing is amd stooped low by taking undue advantage nothing else 

I actually love when companies do this sort of advertising. It provides much needed comedy to events. You know since companies will always push their biggest features and at times compare themselves to the competition often to promote their own product. So when the competition makes a cock-up you can bet money that rivals will jump on it, often with comedic results since its not an official ad campaign for the product but rather a troll campaign to poke fun at the rivals.

Its like way back when Xbox One would not allow game trade-ins and Sony just came out and said trade-ins allowed. They even made a video just for the purpose of trolling Microsoft and it was hilarious.

*snip dat video*

This. Its marketing. You love it when sony does it, you love it when nvidia does it, you love it when anyone else does it but as soon as its AMD its low and childish.

This is some of my favorite marketing. if its based on something that is 100% legit and its an actual shot directly at something a competitor did its both funny and effective.

Obviously overdoing any kind of smear campaign is childish but this is completely within the realm of pure good marketing.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Are you suggesting power consumption isn't a valid argument for choosing one GPU or the other?

This. Its marketing. You love it when sony does it, you love it when nvidia does it, you love it when anyone else does it but as soon as its AMD its low and childish.

No i'm just saying that AMD is the last person to make fun of others since they are pretty much screwing up everything they commit to. Which makes this smear-campaign less tolerable. 

Are you suggesting power consumption isn't a valid argument for choosing one GPU or the other?

Its not a big deal in terms of savings.

Only PSU cost.

Almost 100w between amd and intel:

Its like 25 bucks a year MAX.

I wouldn't trade my 970s for a AMD card even if they have proper memory. I'd trade my 970s for 980s, that would be okay. :D But nice move AMD..

who cares...

We have to save the whales man!

/s

wow really ? no need to be asses,

I don't take sides on the whole amd/nivida fan base my reasons are more practical . I only care about power consumption and TWM becauses it means I don't have to A. worry about over heating (TWM  of an R290 is insane) and B. I don't have to use two molax to six pin and 2 six pin to 8 pin to power my gpu, less cable clutter and I can put those power cables to use, otherwise that's it.

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Only PSU cost.

So you're going to skip over the fact that power consumption is directly linked to noise and heatproduction inside the case? Which is absolutely vital in silence and ITX builds?

It IS a valid argument. Quite possibly the reason I went with the 970 in the first place. My computer makes less noise than ambient. It's literally near-silent. A 290X would've utterly destroyed my ambitions to create a near-silent machine with it's TDP and would've also heated up to extremes in the small Node304.

If you're so addament about "scenario's matter" as in the other post, you should accept this argument from people aswell.

So you're going to skip over the fact that power consumption is directly linked to noise and heatproduction inside the case? Which is absolutely vital in silence and ITX builds?

It IS a valid argument. Quite possibly the reason I went with the 970 in the first place. My computer makes less noise than ambient. It's literally near-silent. A 290X would've utterly destroyed my ambitions to create a near-silent machine with it's TDP and would've also heated up to extremes in the small Node304.

If you're so addament about "scenario's matter" as in the other post, you should accept this argument from people aswell.

For silent builds and ITX , sure.

I reccomended a gtx 960 ITX for a build i did for my friend.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/297961-mini-itx-console-killer/

I thought you were talking about costs in the power bill.

My bad.

I wouldn't trade my 970s for a AMD card even if they have proper memory. I'd trade my 970s for 980s, that would be okay. :D But nice move AMD..

EVGA are doing that if you have a EVGA card...

Right for certain use case scenarios heat and sound matter. However, for the most part, arguing that Power Consumption > Overall Performance in a majority of cases would be 100% wrong.

I'd go as far to say its one of the least important parts for a majority of people

I've only met a handful of people who have avoided a higher performance card because it "took more power" and they have all been very special use cases.

they took a jab at thier drivers because amd drivers have been crap 100's of time's whereas nvidia has made a single mistake

just off the top of my head NVIDIA has released drivers that brick GPUs, sacrificed image quality to win benchmarks, used game works to slow down non-NVIDIA parts, struggled with direct x 9 launch performance and multi monitor support, left bugs unfixed for years including basic HDMI signals forcing users to resort to workarounds, not bothering to optimize drivers for powerful products just because there is something newer out. The difference is NVIDIA marketing is so effective that when people have issues such as a brand new 970 which is too noisy from coil whine or cannot manage it's VRAM people will just give them the benefit of the doubt. Whereas when something happens to AMD most people including some of the press try to connect it to some imaginary trend of bad drivers etc. My personal experience switching to AMD last year has been hugely positive and I have enjoying my gaming tremendously and trouble free. The truth is both NVIDIA and AMD are companies which make fantastic GPUs and have contributed to PC gaming, and they both have a share of issues like any tech company which lives on the cutting edge.

Only PSU cost.

Almost 100w between amd and intel:

Its like 25 bucks a year MAX.

I love your sig.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

just off the top of my head NVIDIA has released drivers that brick GPUs, sacrificed image quality to win benchmarks, used game works to slow down non-NVIDIA parts, struggled with direct x 9 launch performance and multi monitor support, left bugs unfixed for years including basic HDMI signals forcing users to resort to workarounds, not bothering to optimize drivers for powerful products just because there is something newer out. The difference is NVIDIA marketing is so effective that when people have issues such as a brand new 970 which is too noisy from coil whine or cannot manage it's VRAM people will just give them the benefit of the doubt. Whereas when something happens to AMD most people including some of the press try to connect it to some imaginary trend of bad drivers etc. My personal experience switching to AMD last year has been hugely positive and I have enjoying my gaming tremendously and trouble free. The truth is both NVIDIA and AMD are companies which make fantastic GPUs and have contributed to PC gaming, and they both have a share of issues like any tech company which lives on the cutting edge.

I think nvidia launched drivers that burned a couple gpus yeah.

My personal experience switching to AMD last year has been hugely positive and I have enjoying my gaming tremendously and trouble free. 

I got NVIDIA and never had a problem either, :P